Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by pkoo
but 18 months after closing the previous account or 18 months after the day of the app? Cause if it is the former, wouldnt it be better to close the account as soon as the bonus posts instead of keeping it until a month before applying again?
~18 months after applying. Citi has never cared when or if you cancelled. If you like paying annual fees, you could get a card every ~18 months without ever cancelling a card. Ever. Of course Citi could change their rules, so I cancel my old card after I get a new one.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brownie20
thanks for coming to my defense! this whole process has been frustrating as no one from the fraud department will accept calls and the supervisors at the gift card department wont call me back (multiple messages left at this point ).

as usual you're absolutely right happy. i waited to the last minute because i kept trying to use up the credits with regular AA purchases (award taxes/change fees, etc) after multiple unsuccessful gift card attempts - and for some reason i was under the mistaken impression that they sold some type of gift card/voucher at the airport; clearly i was wrong. i have managed to use up several statement credits with those purchases and had this one card with a partial credit remaining. like you stated, at the airport they offered me 2 stickers at for $70 (which i apparently cant even use until i gain status with them ). i didnt make a special trip to the airport - i was on my way for a trip abroad so i stopped at the AA counter to try to purchase a voucher. mostly i'm just frustrated that no one at AA will even try to address this "fraud" issue which is clearly just limited to the gift card department as this same card has been used without problem with AA award taxes.
Sorry to not being aware that your card is blocked to purchase GC. I also now see your statement credit is the "Up To" type so you would need to actually charge up the amount for the $ to $ match.

The sticker is of no use to you when you dont have status with AA. However they do not expire - they just sit in your account. If you think you could ever gain a status, even Gold, you could still use it. It is just change the form of storing your credit - from the offsetting statement credit to now 2 unexpired stickers in your AA account.

The other method would be to buy the cheapest refundable ticket you can find - be VERY CAREFUL to read the Fare Rule to make sure the ticket you buy is indeed 100% refundable before you commit the purchase. My guess is, when you refund the ticket, the statement credit would not be affected.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
3 months. I posted my data point yesterday. Got it in Jan and the passes not arrive before Mar 22. No idea when it actually arrived, because we were away on a 28 days trip between Mar 22 and Apr 18. it was in the mail pile I got. I have 2 cards, both get AC passes. So far only 1 has arrived after more than 3 months.

On previous round, it took similar time to see the AC passes.

It has absolutely no relationship to any other things you have on the card.
Originally Posted by c2d
Per Happy's post quoted above, the arrival of AC passes have nothing to do with any other requirements on the card. I guess they just show up at some point3-4 months from approval.
The 2nd set of AC passes arrived today. 2 cards were applied and approved on Jan 8th. Sometime between March 22 and April 18th, one set of AC passes arrived. Then today April 25th another set of AC passes arrived. Both sets have 12/2013 as expiration date.

I hope folks can do a bit of search in this thread next time when they have questions about when their AC passes would arrive.

Based on the experiences with both UA (Chase card) and AA (Citicard) - the lounge passes arrive a few months after the card approval.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:35 pm

I hope folks can do a bit of search in this thread next time when they have questions about when their AC passes would arrive.
In the defense of some who have been asking about this - I think it's not so much that they couldn't find what people in the past (2012 and before) had experienced, but rather that the combination of the obsolescence of some of these card offers, the long wait times for AC passes, and recent tightening of Citi rules (no 2BM, one app per day, etc.) had led them to wonder if perhaps the deal just wouldn't come through. So they were looking for recent data points, concerned that past performance wouldn't be indicative of future (or present) results.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

I've had an AA Biz Visa for a couple of months now and my wife just signed up for one last night and got an instant denial (not a deferral) which came as a surprise to us. We gave the recon line a call to find out why and they said we can't have two separate accounts for the same business, even if each account is tied to a different person. This is for a legitimate small business that we run (not something made up for biz applications), so apparently they linked my existing card to her application and marked it as a duplicate card. She talked to Citi for awhile but they were insistent that they could not allow two separate accounts for the same business, even with the accounts under different names and SSNs.

Hopefully this post saves someone else from making the same mistake I made
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

guys when you say it's safe to apply for a card if you haven't received one in 18 months, is it fine if I currently have 2 citi cards which I've had for 2 years? Would it be okay canceling them and applying in 2 weeks?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:46 pm

I am confused now. I got two citi aa visa and amex early this Januaury. I plan to apply master and business visa now. Can I apply at the same time by using two browers? Anyone offers me the current situation for my case?

Should I apply aa master first after getting aa visa&amex three months ago? Should I apply aa master with as business visa at the same time??
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
In the defense of some who have been asking about this - I think it's not so much that they couldn't find what people in the past (2012 and before) had experienced, but rather that the combination of the obsolescence of some of these card offers, the long wait times for AC passes, and recent tightening of Citi rules (no 2BM, one app per day, etc.) had led them to wonder if perhaps the deal just wouldn't come through. So they were looking for recent data points, concerned that past performance wouldn't be indicative of future (or present) results.
See below, especially the bolded part - that is posted on April 22, post 6225, and again repeated it on April 23 post 6277 after seeing another such question just a day after my initial post.

I made these posts because I had seen repeated questions and would like to give a fresh data point in the midst of the current flux. Though seriously, the AA pass has never had anything to do with the way Citi process application. They are separate mailings most likely handled by a 3rd party fulfilling service either contracted by Citi or by AA. Citi itself does not print such passes, nor handling the mailing. That should explain why it takes so long for the passes to arrive - the eligible recipient name list would be batch-sent to the fulfillment service and then passes being batch-sent out.

People need to read more carefully and keep track of things interest them as they read along - that is the only way one can pick up information along the way. If we all can pay a bit more attention while reading, a lot of the posts can be avoided, thus making the thread easier to read, especially for those who do not possess the skill to fish out useful data points from a lot of gibberish. Putting in some efforts by everyone would go a long way for the common good.

4/22 post 6255
For those who wonder when their AC passes would arrive, I got one pair from a card applied on Jan 8th either in late Mar or early Apr. We left for a 28 days trip on Mar 22, and no AC pass had come before our departure. I found one mailing from Citi in the pile of mails upon return. However, the other pair is still missing. (AMEX and VISA when 2 browsers still worked - both have AC passes)
4/23 post 6271
Originally Posted by metoo
For both my Citi Biz and Personal applied in early March 2013, I received the $150 credit with the statement. I bought $50 AA virtual gc for each one.

Just waiting on my admiral passes for both cards.
4/23 post 6276
Originally Posted by c2d
Thanks for posting this, metoo. I just bought a $50 virtual GC from AA.com using my personal card. Will report later after the credit posts.
I applied for my card on 2/21 and got it a week later, but still no sign of the AC passes. Anyone has an idea how long this typically takes? (or is this also tied to the AA purchase like the $150 credit?)
4/23 post 6277
3 months. I posted my data point yesterday. Got it in Jan and the passes not arrive before Mar 22. No idea when it actually arrived, because we were away on a 28 days trip between Mar 22 and Apr 18. it was in the mail pile I got. I have 2 cards, both get AC passes. So far only 1 has arrived after more than 3 months.

On previous round, it took similar time to see the AC passes.

It has absolutely no relationship to any other things you have on the card.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
if you are new or have not received a card in 18+ months, should be able to get the visa or amex 50k, a few days later the 30k MC, and then in 60 days the business
wait... does this mean i can apply for the MC + biz now? I got the visa + amex in jan and it was my first time.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:36 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
The AA Platinum card benefit of 10% back for AA award redemptions is bogus.
This is what I got after using my citi AA card to book my AA award

"
First, on behalf of all of us here at AAdvantageŽ Customer Service,
thank you for being one of our valued AAdvantage members.

Thank you for your interest in the new benefits associated with some of
our Citibank card products. In reviewing your account I see that the
credit card you are currently using to earn miles in your AAdvantage
account is not one that includes the enhanced card benefits. I am sorry
to disappoint you.

However, you may still be eligible to apply for a new Citi / AAdvantage
card that includes these benefits. You may also be eligible for an
enrollment bonus! For more offer details and to apply, visit
aadvantage.go.citicards.com or call 800-640-1517 (be sure to have your
AAdvantage number handy).

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. We look forward to
serving you in the future.

Regards,
"
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo
wait... does this mean i can apply for the MC + biz now? I got the visa + amex in jan and it was my first time.

I am the same as you. I would like to confirm if we can do the MC + biz now? anyone minds to share ?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
AA Lounge Passes received

AA Lounge Passes received today 4/25/13 for an application made on 1/27/13 that was instantly approved.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:08 pm

recently approved for visa , a week ago. Can I apply now for biz/gold 2 bm or need to do gold wait 60 days and the business card or vice versa?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
The AA Platinum card benefit of 10% back for AA award redemptions is bogus.
This is what I got after using my citi AA card to book my AA award

"
First, on behalf of all of us here at AAdvantageŽ Customer Service,
thank you for being one of our valued AAdvantage members.

Thank you for your interest in the new benefits associated with some of
our Citibank card products. In reviewing your account I see that the
credit card you are currently using to earn miles in your AAdvantage
account is not one that includes the enhanced card benefits. I am sorry
to disappoint you.

However, you may still be eligible to apply for a new Citi / AAdvantage
card that includes these benefits. You may also be eligible for an
enrollment bonus! For more offer details and to apply, visit
aadvantage.go.citicards.com or call 800-640-1517 (be sure to have your
AAdvantage number handy).

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. We look forward to
serving you in the future.

Regards,
"
Was the 10% feature part of the card you are currently holding? if so, I would send an email to AA (with a copy of the features listed) asking that they correct their records and give you the rebate you deserve.

If it was not part of the card you currently hold, how is it bogus?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:44 pm

Happy, you really go out of your way to continue to help folks in this wildly long and complicated thread. ^ I give you much respect for this lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.