Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by matsonjb
Thanks for the link. As always there will be a n00b in the forum and that is me. Got to love it.

Now I have to ask...with this card you earn a fixed number of points but say if you go gold is that on top of the credit card points?
If you are asking whether gold status earns you more points/$ on daily credit card spend, the answer is no.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Gotcha. I think I might do the HHitlon Amex nonSurpass and the CitiReserve and I will have them split the bill among the two of them.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So now that I am thinking about this what's the point of the two card trick? doesn't it affect the credit rating?
Yes, but only in that it improves your credit rating (compared to applying for two unrelated cards or applying at two separate times for the two cards).

Doing two apps for two HHonors cards (or two AA cards, but not one of each!) at the same time only results in one credit pull.

Each credit pull lowers your credit rating (temporarily) a bit, so minimizing the credit pulls (while still applying for credit cards) improves your credit rating, compared to applying for the same number of credit cards "randomly".
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:43 pm

Gotcha. I will look into the pull on the HHilton cards...I am trying to figure all this out and best way of doing it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:36 pm

Data point for today

Used link number 2 and 3 from Post number 468 , used safari and firefox...got to step 5 for both but had to call in to be approved

Last edited by metoo; Nov 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Got both Citi hiltons, applied with link in 468 on 11/9/12. Confirmed both 50k bonuses. Already went to the ice cream shop to meet one of my card's spending
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:17 am

^^

Got a big question for this. Trying to do three way HHilton because I have a wedding coming up but need to think of this

Amex Non Surpass HHilton - 65K -$3750
Citi HHonors Visa Signature - 50K - $1000
Citi Reserve - Gold Status - $2500 - 24.5X possible

Now the thing is this should I apply for the Citi's first or should I get the Amex. The Amex Terms says that I cannot get it the bonus if I have another card so should I do the following?

Does the math work

Apply for Amex
Apply for Citi Reserve and Visa
Get Gold Status
Use Amex to get bonus (65,000 + 3750(24.5)=156,875)
Use Visa to get bonus (40,000 + 1,000(24.5) = 64,500)
Use Citi Reserve for remainder to get the two weekends - ($2750x24.5=67375)

Can you please let me know. Very soon I need to deposit it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
^^

Got a big question for this. Trying to do three way HHilton because I have a wedding coming up but need to think of this

Amex Non Surpass HHilton - 65K -$3750
Citi HHonors Visa Signature - 50K - $1000
Citi Reserve - Gold Status - $2500 - 24.5X possible

Now the thing is this should I apply for the Citi's first or should I get the Amex. The Amex Terms says that I cannot get it the bonus if I have another card so should I do the following?

Does the math work

Apply for Amex
Apply for Citi Reserve and Visa
Get Gold Status
Use Amex to get bonus (65,000 + 3750(24.5)=156,875)
Use Visa to get bonus (40,000 + 1,000(24.5) = 64,500)
Use Citi Reserve for remainder to get the two weekends - ($2750x24.5=67375)

Can you please let me know. Very soon I need to deposit it.
Where do you get the 24.5x from? Also, I think the Visa is $1500 per card to hit the bonus.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:29 am

The Amex Terms says that I cannot get it the bonus if I have another card
Amex doesn't care if you have a citi Hhonors card.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I applied using the link in the OP. I'll get the 50K after min. spend with this one, right?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Where do you get the 24.5x from? Also, I think the Visa is $1500 per card to hit the bonus.
I got it from the fact that I will get 10HH for each $ spent at the hilton for being in HH points, + 12 HH points for using HHilton rewards card, + 25% for being a gold member.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I got it from the fact that I will get 10HH for each $ spent at the hilton for being in HH points, + 12 HH points for using HHilton rewards card, + 25% for being a gold member.
Don't fully understand what you are trying to calculate but......For "conferences" or groups, Hilton does not necessarily give points. Need to make sure you negotiate the points when you make the arrangements.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:41 pm

Ok, I'll check that but still does the following make sense:

HHonors member gets 10 points per dollar spent
Use Reserve Card to get Gold Status and 12 points per dollar spent

If I use my CSP I would get 10HHpoints+2UR+1MP
If I use Reserve I would get 10HHpoints+12Points for card use X 1.25 for gold status?

What's the best plan of action on this? I have til the 28th...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
What's the best plan of action on this? I have til the 28th...
At a traditional Hilton property (not one of the lesser brands), if you opt for Points + Points and the Points MyWay amenity and you have Gold status, then you should earn like this:

Base earnings: 10 base points + 25% Gold bonus = 12.5 points per $ of room rate + qualifying spend
Points+Points bonus: 5 bonus points per $ of room rate + qualifying spend
MyWay Amenity: 1000 points

Total stay earnings: 1000 + 17.5 points/$ of room rate + qualifying spend

See: https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/servic...lator_pop.aspx

As a completely separate decision, if you use the Reserve card, you get 10 points per dollar on ALL spend, including taxes.

Thus, the maximum you could earn is roughly 27.5 pts/$ plus 1000 per stay.

Note that many people think choosing Points+Points is a poor decision, since airline miles tend to be a better value. Similarly, for the amenity, breakfast is generally a better value.

All of this info is readily available on the HHonors website. If you're thinking about making these moves, it would be a good use of your time to read it over and make some notes for yourself, lest you end up taking questionable forum advice.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:19 pm

Thanks for unquestionable advice haha. My issue was that the HHonors doesn't specifically state said "stacking of points" is against it...I am going to have to send an email to my mom and fiance and tell them to coordinate with them. It's pretty crazy saying that I will only get 6,000 points...ridiculous...

I'll coordinate to have everything charged to my room (I'll put it on my reserve card) if available and that will be 27.5 x $4500...need to talk to the coordinator...haha.

Anyways thanks for all the sound advice, going to pick up the Citi Reserve, and 50,000 Visa, along with the Amex No fee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.