Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:44 am

Going through the visa application process now, and I will be dropping off in person in DC. I've gone through the whole application, and after going through flyertalk threads, everything is clear except question 1.9 which asks for "Local ID/Citizenship Number". Is this our SSN? Or a drivers license number? I assume whatever this is, we need to bring that form of ID to the office when dropping off the application.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by djsinc
Going through the visa application process now, and I will be dropping off in person in DC. I've gone through the whole application, and after going through flyertalk threads, everything is clear except question 1.9 which asks for "Local ID/Citizenship Number". Is this our SSN? Or a drivers license number? I assume whatever this is, we need to bring that form of ID to the office when dropping off the application.

Thanks for the help!
You write "n/a" in field 1.9. US citizens have no National or Local ID/Citizenship number and the Chinese know this. NEVER NEVER NEVER put down your SSN--unless you want to invite identify theft. The rest of the fields that you fill out above and below 1.9 will give the Chinese all the info they need.

Last edited by jiejie; Jan 6, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
You write "n/a" in field 1.9. US citizens have no National or Local ID/Citizenship number and the Chinese know this. NEVER NEVER NEVER put down your SSN--unless you want to invite identify theft. The rest of the fields that you fill out above and below 1.9 will give the Chinese all the info they need.
Wow, thanks for the warning. Now you got me a little paranoid though, do I also want to fill in all my family information on spouse and children, and my employer's address and phone number? Or is that information also N/A?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djsinc
Wow, thanks for the warning. Now you got me a little paranoid though, do I also want to fill in all my family information on spouse and children, and my employer's address and phone number? Or is that information also N/A?
I'm not sure whether or not they care about your family information, or could possibly verify such, but they do seem interested in employers because certain job categories (e.g. media) are red flags. If I worked for a media company, but also had my own company, I'd probably use the latter.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:00 pm

Ive seen some conflicting info so figured id post here and see if anyone has some other anecdotal information. I live in Florida so zoned for Houston but my sister lives in LA, I was going to visit her before my China trip so would it be possible for me to go to the LA consulate and apply there or do I have to pay for a courier service to do the application in Houston? Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bstv69
Ive seen some conflicting info so figured id post here and see if anyone has some other anecdotal information. I live in Florida so zoned for Houston but my sister lives in LA, I was going to visit her before my China trip so would it be possible for me to go to the LA consulate and apply there or do I have to pay for a courier service to do the application in Houston? Thanks
I have ignored the jurisdiction "rule" many times in the past, and have never failed to succeed, but I usually try to use addresses in the correct jurisdiction.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Platinum
Hi I have a ticket from SFO(San Francisco) to DEL(India) through PVG on China Eastern airlines. I booked the cheaper ticket with a 20 hour layover in PVG. I thought Indian Passport holders are qualified for 24 hour TWOV, but China eastern airlines rep told me thats not true apparently and might need Visa. I have read numerous posts in this forum and else where and looks like China rep is wrong.

Can someone help me with official documentation which I can show at the time of check in? OR is the best way to just go ahead and get a visa in SFO China embassy?

I just don't want to be denied boarding because of airline crew's lack on knowledge as I have 20 hour layover and don't have a Visa.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by s_sandy2784
Hi I have a ticket from SFO(San Francisco) to DEL(India) through PVG on China Eastern airlines. I booked the cheaper ticket with a 20 hour layover in PVG. I thought Indian Passport holders are qualified for 24 hour TWOV, but China eastern airlines rep told me thats not true apparently and might need Visa. I have read numerous posts in this forum and else where and looks like China rep is wrong.

Can someone help me with official documentation which I can show at the time of check in? OR is the best way to just go ahead and get a visa in SFO China embassy?

I just don't want to be denied boarding because of airline crew's lack on knowledge as I have 20 hour layover and don't have a Visa.

Thanks for the help.
Don't doublepost in multiple threads. I have posted my advice on the TWOV thread where the main discussion of your situation resides.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I have ignored the jurisdiction "rule" many times in the past, and have never failed to succeed, but I usually try to use addresses in the correct jurisdiction.
Okay wonderful thank you very much
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:52 pm

Application for 10 year visa for layover??

I will be transiting through PVG (CGK-PVG-LAX) with a 16 hour daytime layover with my husband, and we will be going into the city. I already have a 10 year visa, but my husband does not. My plan is to just have him apply for the 10 year visa because it eliminates any chance of being denied a TWOV, and I figure that he will almost certainly be returning in the next decade. For the application (USA passport), is it ok to mark 'layover' for the hotel/address and provide a copy of the flight details, or should I just make a refundable booking and cancel after the Visa gets approved?

I am sure this has been asked/answered many times before, but it is hard to comb through 122 pages.

Thank you
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Much easier to just be part of the herd and provide the hotel booking they want. Make sure it's in his name, not yours.
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:34 pm
H_X

China visa application questions

My flight itinerary is USA-Shanghai, then Hong Kong-Taiwan, and finally Taiwan-USA. I'll be traveling from Shanghai to Hong Kong as part of an organized tour group. Will the fact that I'm going to Taiwan after I leave China cause me problems with getting the visa?

Does anyone know for sure if the Washington DC visa office requires a letter from my employer verifying that I'm going as a tourist, not on business? One visa service (mychinavisa.com) says yes, others say no.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by H_X
My flight itinerary is USA-Shanghai, then Hong Kong-Taiwan, and finally Taiwan-USA. I'll be traveling from Shanghai to Hong Kong as part of an organized tour group. Will the fact that I'm going to Taiwan after I leave China cause me problems with getting the visa?

Does anyone know for sure if the Washington DC visa office requires a letter from my employer verifying that I'm going as a tourist, not on business? One visa service (mychinavisa.com) says yes, others say no.
IF you are going via a tour group then you should be OK, what is your nationality? Line of work?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:44 pm

If your employer is considered sensitive by the Chinese, like a news organization, I wouldn't be surprised if they asked for a letter like that. But practice varies over time and by consulate/embassy. Wouldn't hurt to have the letter at hand if it's asked for.

I'm not aware of visits to or from Taiwan causing a problem.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by H_X

I sent you a PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.