Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Yikes - I went to go apply for a visa with an agency, and they told me that the visa process would be very difficult if I have ever been to Turkey.
It's more of a problem if you have been to Turkey within the last 3-4 years, or if you've made repeated trips. Did the agency agree to take your application and give you special instructions on giving explanations, or did the agency refuse to deal with you? It's only fair that they gave you a warning, but whether "difficult" means "will be rejected" or "will take longer to process" is unclear.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Visa service question

Is a $99 p/p "Agent Service Fee" reasonable ?
And can anyone recommend a China Visa Service that uses the San Francisco consulate ?
(It's been a while since my last necessary China visa that I can only get on a yearly basis with my citizenship (EU) - which unfortunately makes a visit on a regular basis kind of costly.)

Thanks in advance !
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:29 am

If you live in the SF consular district, try FreeChinaVisa:

https://www.freechinavisa.org/
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for an agency for the Houston consulate? Does it matter if I use a non Houston agency considering I still have 5 months until travel date?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Does anyone have a recommendation for an agency for the Houston consulate? Does it matter if I use a non Houston agency considering I still have 5 months until travel date?
<br /><br />I've used the Houston office of http://www.mychinavisa.com quite a number of times over the years. They are very good. There are other decent agents, but I would use an agent based in Houston and not another city, assuming you're resident in the Houston Chinese Consular district. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a low-priced agent in Houston, comparable to SF district's freechinavisa.org
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
<br /><br />I've used the Houston office of China Visa Service Center - Visa to China, Chinese Visa Application quite a number of times over the years. They are very good. There are other decent agents, but I would use an agent based in Houston and not another city, assuming you're resident in the Houston Chinese Consular district. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a low-priced agent in Houston, comparable to SF district's freechinavisa.org
Yeah I was planning on using one of the services that charge ~$50. What is the downside of using one of the nonlocal agencies?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Yeah I was planning on using one of the services that charge ~$50. What is the downside of using one of the nonlocal agencies?
1. If the non-local agent normally services another Consular District, you need to ask them if they will deal with Houston. Many (like freechinavisa) only work with residents of a specific District.
2. If the agent is in your city that is within the Houston Consular District, you need to ask yourself if they are likely to have the type of personal relationship with the Consulate that the Houston-based agents do. This might not matter if you have a plain vanilla tourist visa application with no potential red flags or complicating issues.
3. Any agent you use that is not in Houston, means another link in the chain of custody and another mail/courier. If you use a Houston-based agent, you limit the Express/FedEx'ing to 2 times: once to send your materials to the agent and once for the return of passport to you. Houston-based agents hand-carry their clients' applications to the Consulate and pick them up as well. If you use any non-Houston-based agent, you will double the courier load to 4 x: from you to Cheap Agent, Cheap Agent sends to someone in Houston (I'm sure they'd have a Good Ol' Visa Agents Network), Houston agent back to Cheap Agent, Cheap Agent back to you. You will not know who the subcontractor agent is. But don't expect Cheap Agent to get on a plane and take your application to Houston himself. The extra transport means an extended time that your passport will be out of your hands, and more opportunities for an application (or returning passport) to get lost in transit.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I paid more than $1000 for my current visa. While this might seem excessive, the agent did make the process as seamless as possible (e.g medical check, job posting, Chinese resume). He also got me in a pretty nice tax bracket, but I might raise this next year in order to get a 5 year RP (I'm pretty close to the cut off score, and bumping my salary up is easier than studying for HSK).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
1. If the non-local agent normally services another Consular District, you need to ask them if they will deal with Houston. Many (like freechinavisa) only work with residents of a specific District.
2. If the agent is in your city that is within the Houston Consular District, you need to ask yourself if they are likely to have the type of personal relationship with the Consulate that the Houston-based agents do. This might not matter if you have a plain vanilla tourist visa application with no potential red flags or complicating issues.
3. Any agent you use that is not in Houston, means another link in the chain of custody and another mail/courier. If you use a Houston-based agent, you limit the Express/FedEx'ing to 2 times: once to send your materials to the agent and once for the return of passport to you. Houston-based agents hand-carry their clients' applications to the Consulate and pick them up as well. If you use any non-Houston-based agent, you will double the courier load to 4 x: from you to Cheap Agent, Cheap Agent sends to someone in Houston (I'm sure they'd have a Good Ol' Visa Agents Network), Houston agent back to Cheap Agent, Cheap Agent back to you. You will not know who the subcontractor agent is. But don't expect Cheap Agent to get on a plane and take your application to Houston himself. The extra transport means an extended time that your passport will be out of your hands, and more opportunities for an application (or returning passport) to get lost in transit.
This is a great explanation. I think others will ask similar questions (and I'm sure already have). Maybe add this to a wiki or something?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Can’t seem to find info on Turkey in the wiki, but what’s going on with Turkey? Why does a previous trip to Turkey make it more difficult to get a visa?

I had my 10 year visa issued a few years back. Will I have any trouble getting into China then? I made a couple short visits to Turkey in the past few years - four entry stamps in my current passport with four exit stamps to be exact dated one day apart for overnight transits with TK. My last visit to China was two years ago and I didn’t have issues, so did something develop recently? All these transits I made in Turkey were prior to my last entry into China.

Last edited by arthursiew; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by arthursiew
Can’t seem to find info on Turkey in the wiki, but what’s going on with Turkey? Why does a previous trip to Turkey make it more difficult to get a visa?

I had my 10 year visa issued a few years back. Will I have any trouble getting into China then? I made a couple short visits to Turkey in the past few years - four entry stamps in my current passport with four exit stamps to be exact dated one day apart for overnight transits with TK. My last visit to China was two years ago and I didn’t have issues, so did something develop recently? All these transits I made in Turkey were prior to my last entry into China.
China has been scrutinizing Turkish stamps more closely lately according to anecdotes here & on other sites like Trip Advisor. All of the anecdata seems to be for visa application/TWOV. Since you already have visa, maybe pulled aside and asked a few more questions about your travel? Or maybe not.

Since China hasn't released any statements regarding why, it's just speculation. They have poor relations with Turkey, escalating crackdown on Chinese Uyghurs, there are family ties between Chinese Uyghurs and elsewhere particularly in Turkey, Turkey has been supportive of Chinese Uyghurs, China accuses Turkey of allowing Uyghurs transit into Syria, etc.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rustykettel
China has been scrutinizing Turkish stamps more closely lately according to anecdotes here & on other sites like Trip Advisor. All of the anecdata seems to be for visa application/TWOV. Since you already have visa, maybe pulled aside and asked a few more questions about your travel? Or maybe not.

Since China hasn't released any statements regarding why, it's just speculation. They have poor relations with Turkey, escalating crackdown on Chinese Uyghurs, there are family ties between Chinese Uyghurs and elsewhere particularly in Turkey, Turkey has been supportive of Chinese Uyghurs, China accuses Turkey of allowing Uyghurs transit into Syria, etc.
Thanks. How recent was this? My brother went to China in late August and he said he didn’t have any issues. We went to Turkey together on those transits, so I’m wondering whether they started looking at Turkish stamps back then.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by arthursiew

Thanks. How recent was this? My brother went to China in late August and he said he didn’t have any issues. We went to Turkey together on those transits, so I’m wondering whether they started looking at Turkish stamps back then.
For the last year or so, it seems like. I'd say that your brother's visit is well after the increased scrutiny has started. Since there's nothing official, could be ebb & flow of scrutiny, immigration officer overlooked the stamps, or not enough to flag for whatever they're looking for.
arthursiew likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
FWIW, we're a family of 2 adults and 2 children. We have a single entry and exit stamp from Turkey in our passports from 3 years ago. We were approved for a 10 year multi-entry tourist visa by the SF consulate with no issues at all.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just a quick report of my recent experiences with the Consulate in New York. Everything was incredibly efficient.

I dropped off my passport on Wednesday, November 14 at about 1:45pm. (The office is open from 9am - 2:30pm.) When I arrived, I was asked to show my completed visa application to the security guard before he would let me pass through the metal detector to get into the building. He did just a quick glance. Before getting your "number" you first must show your paperwork to a person who verifies that you have the application completed, that you have your flight and hotel reservation, and that you have your photo. There was just a short line of people and my documents were checked in just a few minutes. I was given a number and told to have a seat. When I checked the board, the number previous to mine was already being served. So my number was called in just a couple of minutes. I dropped off my papers and the agent confirmed that I wanted regular service. She told me to return on Monday, November 19. I was pleasantly surprised. When I returned on Monday (again at about 1:30pm) the lines were a bit longer (both for drop off and pick up), but I was still out of the place in maybe 15 or 20 minutes. Quick turnaround, no unpleasant surprises.

Now a few details...

I had a spare (US) passport photo so I decided to use this, even though the size is not what the Consulate prescribes. I cut off a little bit on either side, to at least make it rectangular, but it was not the specific dimensions requested, and it was accepted without comment.

I had all sorts of papers - copies of my current passport, copies of my previous passport, copies of my driver's license, copies of a Chinese visa that I had 20 years ago, copies of THAT passport... The agent asked for a copy of my current passport data page. No mention of my driver's license.

Most surprising to me... I had a brand new passport - not a single stamp - and it did not cause a question. Of course, I had brought my previous passport (that was quite full - I had added pages three times), but nobody wanted to see it. I had a Turkish stamp in that passport from 2012, but it was never seen.

So even with regular service, a Wednesday afternoon drop resulted in a Monday availability. Ten-year, multi-entry, all is fine. So I am pleasantly surprised with the current workings of the NYC consulate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.