Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:11 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
A disturbing post on Caravanistan yesterday indicating that Turkish (or Iranian) stamps are now a bar to getting a tourist visa in Hong Kong, at least in the case of the Polish and Spanish posters.

https://caravanistan.com/forum/viewt...=2222&start=10
Read the post
Just to clarify this is getting a Manland China visa in HK, not problems getting a visa to HK for the handful of countries who had to.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:19 pm

Considering I posted this in the "China Visa" thread . . . . .
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
Considering I posted this in the "China Visa" thread . . . . .
Apologies but it did read like HK Immigration Department was applying a Turkey ban too until I clicked and read the link.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:14 am

I'm traveling to Hong Kong in September and would like to make a day visit to Shenzen via train. I'm planning on applying for a visa at the Houston consulate in person once I renew my passport (expires in August). Is the round-trip flight itinerary to/from Hong Kong enough for the visa or does the flight itinerary have to be for a flight to/from mainland China?

It looks like from previous posts the HKG flights should be enough and put a comment mentioning taking ground transportation across to Shenzen. Anyone have recent experiences with this?

Thanks!

Last edited by ddpg; Mar 25, 2019 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:14 pm

If there is a problem -- and I'm not suggesting there will be -- you can now buy high-speed rail tickets online through ctrip etc between HK and Shenzhen, then refund them less commission and a service charge.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:14 pm

Looking to attend the Shanghai Motor Show this year, working for a magazine. Do I need to request a J2 visa or just a regular tourist visa? I can't figure this one out and don't wanna be denied since it's 2.5 weeks away.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blue2007
Looking to attend the Shanghai Motor Show this year, working for a magazine. Do I need to request a J2 visa or just a regular tourist visa? I can't figure this one out and don't wanna be denied since it's 2.5 weeks away.
"Working for a magazine" could be an issue, regardless of what type of visa you apply for. Do you have any other companies you can list as your employer; even "self employed" might bump up your chances of success. If I were in your shoes, I would go for an L (tourist) visa, but feel free to PM me if you want to shoot for an M (business) visa. From a functional perspective M isn't much better than L. J2 applications are heavily scrutinized.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:18 am

It's not like he's sneaking around interviewing dissidents.

He sounds like a business journalist attending a trade fair.

Yes, there'll be more-than-ordinary hassle getting the visa, but I don't think he has much choice. China is pretty clear that it expects foreign journalists heading to China on short-term assignments to travel on a J2 visa. Cutting corners on something like this just to save a bit of time and hassle would be a foolish risk these days, I think.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by moondog
"Working for a magazine" could be an issue, regardless of what type of visa you apply for. Do you have any other companies you can list as your employer; even "self employed" might bump up your chances of success. If I were in your shoes, I would go for an L (tourist) visa, but feel free to PM me if you want to shoot for an M (business) visa. From a functional perspective M isn't much better than L. J2 applications are heavily scrutinized.
Yes, I am self-employed, so I can list that without bending the rules.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by 889
It's not like he's sneaking around interviewing dissidents.

He sounds like a business journalist attending a trade fair.

Yes, there'll be more-than-ordinary hassle getting the visa, but I don't think he has much choice. China is pretty clear that it expects foreign journalists heading to China on short-term assignments to travel on a J2 visa. Cutting corners on something like this just to save a bit of time and hassle would be a foolish risk these days, I think.
Exactly, attending the fair and in country for 3 days.

I thought about the tourist visa but I didn't wanna lie on the application. It might be obvious on the form that I'm a journalist and that I might attend the fair.

I do have a letter from a company in China to show that I will be attending the show as their guest.

Do I need to do anything for J2? I saw that the application says something like

Applicants should contact the press office of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate General in advance and complete relevant formalities.

Thank you!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:44 am

This is the sort of procedure that varies depending on the particular embassy or consulate. No alternative but to ask and find out just what the place you'll be using wants.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:07 pm

My previous 2-year Chinese visa and Canadian passport expired so I've had to go through the process again.

Used express service at visa office and they returned passport with visa within 48 hours. Interestingly, Chinese visas are now in a new format and include photo on the visa itself. If I knew this, I would have taken a better photo! Oh well...

For reasons nobody could explain to me, I was issued a 9 year visa. On the form I wrote 120 months and the visa application center agent crossed it out and wrote 108 months. I was expecting it would be 10 years less 3 or 6 months, but less 12 months seems a bit short. Not a huge deal but will require either not traveling to China in my last year of passport validity or renewing a year in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

Back from the consulate, they asked for an Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Unit in order to get the J2. I guess the invitation from the Chinese company was not enough.

Has anyone dealt with that?

Last edited by blue2007; Mar 29, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blue2007
Back from the consulate, they asked for an Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Unit in order to get the J2. I guess the invitation from the Chinese company was not enough.

Has anyone dealt with that?
I sent you a PM on this, but for the sake of the rest of the community, I'm thinking L or M are the best way forward for you. The motor show isn't a hot button topic.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:26 pm

For the sake of his own peace of mind, I think getting the J2 visa is the right approach. He should contact the trade show organiser for help. Or the press attache at the consulate, per the instructions.

Point is, he may well get in as tourist this time, but he'll never be able to rest easy when he tries to get a visa or enter China in the future. The motor show may not be a hot button item, but that's also the point: it's a minor event not worth possibly damaging his reputational assessment in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.