Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Both my business partner and I are of turkish background with us passports, had no questions whatsoever and both got 10 year visas with no problems a while back this year. No problems entering china either.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:16 pm

My wife and I used mychinavisa based on recommendations from this post. We applied for 10 year visas and provided all documents for a scheduled trip in March. Booked hotel, normal itinerary to Shanghai, only 7 days, etc. We are both US citizens with matching passport stamps. I was granted a 10 year visa while she was only given a 1 year visa. Is there any valid reason for this? She has no flags like Turkey visits or media job title (she is a middle school teacher and I am an engineer). My only thought is visa service messed up and requested a 1 year visa on accident or she was flagged because her birth place is Iraq. Again, she is a US citizen and has been for 20+ years... Only Middle East stamps were several years ago to DXB but I have that as well.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:06 pm

I'd be pretty confident Iraq and her naturalized US citizenship came into play. Just because she's been naturalized a US citizen does not necessarily mean she's no longer an Iraqi citizen.
Loren Pechtel and tentseller like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 889
I'd be pretty confident Iraq and her naturalized US citizenship came into play. Just because she's been naturalized a US citizen does not necessarily mean she's no longer an Iraqi citizen.
That is pretty infuriating. She hasn't been to Iraq since she was 3... 25+ years ago. So now we need to pay $250 every time we go to China because she'll never get a 10 years. I guess we won't be going to China again lol.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
That is pretty infuriating. She hasn't been to Iraq since she was 3... 25+ years ago. So now we need to pay $250 every time we go to China because she'll never get a 10 years. I guess we won't be going to China again lol.
If you apply at a consulate yourself (not super inconvenient if you plan things nicely), the fee is only $140. Furthermore, TWOV is increasingly useful.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you apply at a consulate yourself (not super inconvenient if you plan things nicely), the fee is only $140. Furthermore, TWOV is increasingly useful.
It is very inconvenient for us. We live in Austin and do not travel to Houston. She would need to drive 3 hours each way to get to Houston to drop it off then drive back a week later to pick it up. With that being 175 miles each way, that's around $25 in gas each way. 4 segments = $100 in gas and 12 hours of driving. I'd rather pay $150 extra (really I'd rather just have the 10 year).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It is very inconvenient for us. We live in Austin and do not travel to Houston. She would need to drive 3 hours each way to get to Houston to drop it off then drive back a week later to pick it up. With that being 175 miles each way, that's around $25 in gas each way. 4 segments = $100 in gas and 12 hours of driving. I'd rather pay $150 extra (really I'd rather just have the 10 year).
That doesn't sound so bad. Some of us are about a thousand miles from the applicable Chinese consulate. Try to turn it into a long weekend fun trip, or do a stopover (almost 24 hours) on some international itinerary through IAH.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
My wife and I used mychinavisa based on recommendations from this post. We applied for 10 year visas and provided all documents for a scheduled trip in March. Booked hotel, normal itinerary to Shanghai, only 7 days, etc. We are both US citizens with matching passport stamps. I was granted a 10 year visa while she was only given a 1 year visa. Is there any valid reason for this? She has no flags like Turkey visits or media job title (she is a middle school teacher and I am an engineer). My only thought is visa service messed up and requested a 1 year visa on accident or she was flagged because her birth place is Iraq. Again, she is a US citizen and has been for 20+ years... Only Middle East stamps were several years ago to DXB but I have that as well.
Have you tried contacting the visa agent and see what they say?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:31 am

China Visa photo and visa agency

Hello

i live in atlanta and going to China soon . I have gone through many posts everywhere but can not find a reliable and cheap Visa photo website . Does anyone recommend cheaper one ? We are 4 of us and most Visa agencies charge 99 per passport so can anyone recommend any cheaper ones ?

thank you for your help .
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by liveforflying
Hello

i live in atlanta and going to China soon . I have gone through many posts everywhere but can not find a reliable and cheap Visa photo website . Does anyone recommend cheaper one ? We are 4 of us and most Visa agencies charge 99 per passport so can anyone recommend any cheaper ones ?

thank you for your help .
Don't you have a phone with a camera?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Don't you have a phone with a camera?
Or, a drugstore that takes passport photos? I used to get mine at Costco and was bummed when they took the photo center out of the warehouse - guess I'll have to do it myself next time.....

Should be easy enough to do your own photos and then make sure you format per instructions prior to printing somewhere (be it at home, through walmart/costco/cvs etc)......
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 pm
Suspended

If I go through an agency with expedited 2 day processing, any expectation of how long the entire process should play out? (i.e. mailing app and passport and getting it back with visa). I've got a 3 week window to complete the process between Jan 23 and Feb 14. I'd do it now but I'm headed to Caribbean in 10 days and will need my passport with me so can't put it in the mail now.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
If I go through an agency with expedited 2 day processing, any expectation of how long the entire process should play out? (i.e. mailing app and passport and getting it back with visa). I've got a 3 week window to complete the process between Jan 23 and Feb 14. I'd do it now but I'm headed to Caribbean in 10 days and will need my passport with me so can't put it in the mail now.
You should call the agency to ask, but assuming the agency is near the consulate you are using, I would guess a Fedex that arrives before noon would be dropped off at the consulate the same afternoon, picked up 2 days later, and sent back to you that evening for delivery the following morning.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

You should call the agency to ask, but assuming the agency is near the consulate you are using, I would guess a Fedex that arrives before noon would be dropped off at the consulate the same afternoon, picked up 2 days later, and sent back to you that evening for delivery the following morning.
Any recommendations for an agency? I was thinking about using mychinavisa.com. They have a Chicago location which is best for me.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Any recommendations for an agency? I was thinking about using mychinavisa.com. They have a Chicago location which is best for me.
Mychinavisa is a popular choice for people in this forum/thread, but I've honestly never had bad experiences with any visa agency, even the cheap ones. Just be sure to pick one that has an office in Chicago, and read the comments on Yelp.
kapooncha likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.