Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:37 pm

"Or, just figure out how to do this course with at least one border-run break in the middle, and get a multiple entry tourist visa."

If she'd kept life simple, she almost certainly could have gotten a ten-year multiple-entry L visa while she was in Hong Kong. Not sure whether that's possible elsewhere in Asia. But wandering consulate-to-consulate looking for someplace that'll slip up and not want a JW202 seems a fool's errand.

I think it's reasonable to assume that when doing the paperwork online for the X2 visa there's a box the clerk now has to fill in with the number of the JW202, and unless that box is filled in, the computer won't process the visa application. It was much easier for consulates and embassies to show some flexibility before the advent of these computerized processing systems.

Last edited by 889; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by jiejie
I think you're going to find the same story everywhere. If you want the X2 visa, I don't know what you can really do except go to the University in person and get the JW202, then exit China and apply. This is going to be disruptive to your current plans and cost some extra cash. The most reliable way is to apply for a Chinese L tourist visa which will enable you to at least get to Kunming and park yourself near the University until they cough up the JW202 and you take physical custody of it. Or, just figure out how to do this course with at least one border-run break in the middle, and get a multiple entry tourist visa right off the bat. Likely you'd be able to do the course without any official authority catching on (or caring).

Note: Recent anecdote from Bangkok suggests that they might now be friendlier to non-resident foreigners seeking Chinese visas without hassles. So you might check into that as well--they are using the China Visa Service Application Centre there now. Doesn't solve the missing JW202 problem though.
The school is expressing me (via DHL) a JW202 to my address in HKT. Minor aside: they aren't a university - Keats School. And yeah, I am not trying again until it shows up (Saturday or Monday).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:39 am

Dutch
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Returning from China recently, even on a 10 year visa they're stepping up info collection at the border. Full sets of fingerprints and pictures. if you even look remotely chinese they want chinese names and proof of that via other official documents. Had to show a HKID. Fingerprint verification upon entry every time after.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Returning from China recently, even on a 10 year visa they're stepping up info collection at the border. Full sets of fingerprints and pictures. if you even look remotely chinese they want chinese names and proof of that via other official documents. Had to show a HKID. Fingerprint verification upon entry every time after.
I think that's only if they can see you were born in China or Hong Kong. I am ethnically Chinese, and look Chinese, but was born in the US and grew up in the west. Didn't get questioned at all when I went there recently.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by B407
I think that's only if they can see you were born in China or Hong Kong. I am ethnically Chinese, and look Chinese, but was born in the US and grew up in the west. Didn't get questioned at all when I went there recently.
I'm an ABC too.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by HGHUA
And what if you don't know any Chinese? How do you answer that?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
And what if you don't know any Chinese? How do you answer that?
The immigration officers do speak basic English. From my experience, I have not experienced the above line of questioning. They just do their thing, stamp and wave me through.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:49 am

So it has been more than 3 years since I got a visa ( just before they went to 10 year visas). Previously I would go to DC or NYC and submit my application and expedite it. The last time they had moved to eliminate same day service and I got the visa the next day. Is there now a consistent restriction on getting a visa at a location different from your assigned area? I often travel to DC and NYC and find it convenient to get the visa there rather than IAH. Any body of knowledge regarding expedited processing at a location other than the one they would assign you based on your home address?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
I think you're going to find the same story everywhere. If you want the X2 visa, I don't know what you can really do except go to the University in person and get the JW202, then exit China and apply. This is going to be disruptive to your current plans and cost some extra cash. The most reliable way is to apply for a Chinese L tourist visa which will enable you to at least get to Kunming and park yourself near the University until they cough up the JW202 and you take physical custody of it. Or, just figure out how to do this course with at least one border-run break in the middle, and get a multiple entry tourist visa right off the bat. Likely you'd be able to do the course without any official authority catching on (or caring).

Note: Recent anecdote from Bangkok suggests that they might now be friendlier to non-resident foreigners seeking Chinese visas without hassles. So you might check into that as well--they are using the China Visa Service Application Centre there now. Doesn't solve the missing JW202 problem though.

I am happy to report that I at long last have the visa.

In the end, the consulate did ask for the JW202, the admission notice + accompanying documents (official licences?), proof of payment made (tuition + accommodation), and flight tickets into and out of China. This was in addition to a brief interview by a consular officer about my work, Keats School, and reasons for visiting.

As a reminder/data point, even hanging on the consulate wall above the table where one fills out the application, the X2 only nominally requires the admission notice and a photocopy.

I sent the above experience to the school as a data point for the future.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:00 am

But which consulate gave you the visa?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by 889
But which consulate gave you the visa?
Phuket!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xooz
Any body of knowledge regarding expedited processing at a location other than the one they would assign you based on your home address?
Houston is also my official consulate, but like you I typically go to DC because it's more convenient. I've never had a problem getting rush service.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:00 am

I'm from India. I will be on business travel(my company sponsor) to Beijing for 10 days and I have valid Single Entry Business visa. During my onward journey to Beijing from India and return from Beijing, I am planning to visit Singapore for couple of days(my personal visit to meet my cousin and I have valid Singapore Multiple Entry tourist visa).
Is there any restrictions during Beijing Port of entry like I should travel from the Country where I have been issued Chinese Visa.

Note: I have travelled to Singapore and China before.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Sakthi Vel
I'm from India. I will be on business travel(my company sponsor) to Beijing for 10 days and I have valid Single Entry Business visa. During my onward journey to Beijing from India and return from Beijing, I am planning to visit Singapore for couple of days(my personal visit to meet my cousin and I have valid Singapore Multiple Entry tourist visa).
Is there any restrictions during Beijing Port of entry like I should travel from the Country where I have been issued Chinese Visa.

Note: I have travelled to Singapore and China before.
No restrictions on Indian travelers. As long as you have the valid Chinese visa, you may travel from Singapore or anywhere else into China. And you may depart China for anywhere you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.