Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Did you had to submit proof of airfare and hotel reservation for your visa?
Yes you do. At the visa centre in Toronto there is a receptionist that pre-screens everyone to ensure they have the proper documentation before being allowed to see a visa officer. If you do not have proof of flights and hotel reservations, the receptionist will not allow you to see a visa officer. I saw many people who weren't aware of this and were turned away.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by B407
Yes you do. At the visa centre in Toronto there is a receptionist that pre-screens everyone to ensure they have the proper documentation before being allowed to see a visa officer. If you do not have proof of flights and hotel reservations, the receptionist will not allow you to see a visa officer. I saw many people who weren't aware of this and were turned away.
I had the same experience in Houston.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Z Visa tips

Greetings all,

I don't spend much time on FT these days, but I promised myself that I'd update this thread once I secured my latest Z visa (residence permit) under the new rules.

I'm not inclined to provide a specific account of my case because the details are not relevant to many readers.

Instead, I simply want to offer general guidance, based upon my experience:

1. If you work for a big company, let them handle EVERYTHING (and, ignore point 2)

2. If your employer is new to the game, or you are employing yourself via your own company (i.e. WFOE), engage a FULL SERVICE agent
a) by "full service", I mean someone who can, at the very least, help you with the employment authorization component
b) whether or not the agent assists, you will need authenticated (by State Department AND PRC consulate) copies of your highest diploma and criminal background check
-I ended up using a second agent for this process, due to time constraints, and my familiarity with the PRC consulate's mail back policies

In closing, please bear in mind that the above pertains to a sample size of 1, and feel free to email me if you want to discuss further.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by moondog
b) whether or not the agent assists, you will need authenticated (by State Department AND PRC consulate) copies of your highest diploma and criminal background check
Regarding the above, the diploma and criminal background requirement depends per case, at least in Shanghai. It varies depending on whether applying for residence permit the first time vs. renewing with same company vs. renewing/transferring to a new company. Renewing with same company doesn't require either document (though this may depend on work permit classification also, I can't recall), renewing/transferring to a new company requires only the authenticated diploma (and there is a grace period to provide authenticated diploma, i believe 90 days), and no criminal background check is needed assuming the transfer happens within 30 days of last working day with old company.

100% agree with using agent.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by B407
Interesting. What if I only have airfare to HK, but want to go to Shenzhen? Do I show hotel reservation in Shenzhen and flight to HK?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by sniles
Regarding the above, the diploma and criminal background requirement depends per case, at least in Shanghai. It varies depending on whether applying for residence permit the first time vs. renewing with same company vs. renewing/transferring to a new company. Renewing with same company doesn't require either document (though this may depend on work permit classification also, I can't recall), renewing/transferring to a new company requires only the authenticated diploma (and there is a grace period to provide authenticated diploma, i believe 90 days), and no criminal background check is needed assuming the transfer happens within 30 days of last working day with old company.

100% agree with using agent.
I used Roca DC for document authentication. Their all in price (including mail back to China) was $420. Initially, I felt this was a bit steep, but having done the authentication drill in person, I can attest that it is reasonable.

​​​​​​Roca wanted to process my entire visa for an additional @$150, but I declined because they couldn't help on the work authorization front.

In theory, work authorization is something you could do on your own because you just need company documents, resume (with zero fluff), job posting, and reference letter.

The thing is, this is easy to botch (e.g. if the work authorization people decide they need Chinese documents at the last minute, you need to make a new appointment).

Then, there's the medical check. Sure, it's possible to book them on your own, but having someone walk you through the process is stress relieving.

All in, this visa set me back around $1,500. A bit steep? Perhaps, but if I had made a single mistake, I would not have received the residence permit.
​​​​​

Last edited by moondog; Feb 18, 2018 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
In addition, Turkey is supportive of Uyghurs in China generally and has been accused of allowing transit of Uyghur jihadis into Syria (and the possibility of jihadis transiting the other way into China).
Yes. I imagine that Turkish intelligence is more or less willing to share information with Western authorities about their nationals who are returning from Syria. On the other hand, I suspect they are less interested in sharing intelligence with Chinese authorities.

That's my guess as to why Chinese immigration authorities are suspicious of passports with evidence of recent Turkish visits. I don't know if this extends to Turkish passport holders.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Greetings all,

Im sure this has been answered before, but I find the FT search is always too general, might be an stupid question.

I'm travelling in June and will need a business visa, I will also be travelling with my wife. Can she come on a normal tourist visa with me?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I used Roca DC for document authentication. Their all in price (including mail back to China) was $420. Initially, I felt this was a bit steep, but having done the authentication drill in person, I can attest that it is reasonable.

​​​​​​Roca wanted to process my entire visa for an additional @$150, but I declined because they couldn't help on the work authorization front.

In theory, work authorization is something you could do on your own because you just need company documents, resume (with zero fluff), job posting, and reference letter.

The thing is, this is easy to botch (e.g. if the work authorization people decide they need Chinese documents at the last minute, you need to make a new appointment).

Then, there's the medical check. Sure, it's possible to book them on your own, but having someone walk you through the process is stress relieving.

All in, this visa set me back around $1,500. A bit steep? Perhaps, but if I had made a single mistake, I would not have received the residence permit.
​​​​​
Ouch.

How often do you need to go through this process to continue staying and working in China?

BTW, welcome back. We've missed you around here.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
<div style="text-align:left;"><div style="text-align:left;">Ouch.<br /><br />How often do you need to go through this process to continue staying and working in China?<br /><br />BTW, welcome back. We've missed you around here.</div><br /><br /><br /><br /></div><br /><br />
<br /><br />Normally only once, the first time you become formally employed in China. Subsequent renewals of the Residence Permit (typically every year, sometimes every 2 years), your company/organization takes care of the process which is considerably simpler, doesn't require all the documentation nor a new medical, and takes 2-3 weeks. If you change companies within China and do it before the original Residence Permit expires, there is a process to do so without leaving the PRC and without having to do all of this again. But if you leave China for awhile and interrupt continuous employment, you might have to do some or all of the process all over. It has become much more onerous since changes in the 2013 laws, mostly due to the tedious and expensive process of getting criminal checks and getting all documents authenticated. Prior to 2013, this wasn't necessary in most locations in China, and it didn't take too long to get processed for a Z visa once you got the invitation letter for employment from a Chinese organization and authorization for Work Permit from the Labor Ministry (or Foreign Experts Certificate if working in education).

Most reasonable organizations pick up the cost of this rigamarole. Certainly if negotiating a contract with an organization, that should be one of the points to discuss as to getting up front funding or reimbursement for costs.

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 22, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Greetings all,

Im sure this has been answered before, but I find the FT search is always too general, might be an stupid question.

I'm travelling in June and will need a business visa, I will also be travelling with my wife. Can she come on a normal tourist visa with me?
When my husband came with me, I had a business visa and he applied for (and received) a tourist visa. No problem at all in immigration. Or obtaining the visas (except for the fact the Chinese consulate doesn't consider academia "business" so after asking during several visa applications, I still haven't received a 10yr visa...)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
<br /><br />Normally only once, the first time you become formally employed in China. Subsequent renewals of the Residence Permit (typically every year, sometimes every 2 years), your company/organization takes care of the process which is considerably simpler, doesn't require all the documentation nor a new medical, and takes 2-3 weeks. If you change companies within China and do it before the original Residence Permit expires, there is a process to do so without leaving the PRC and without having to do all of this again. But if you leave China for awhile and interrupt continuous employment, you might have to do some or all of the process all over. It has become much more onerous since changes in the 2013 laws, mostly due to the tedious and expensive process of getting criminal checks and getting all documents authenticated. Prior to 2013, this wasn't necessary in most locations in China, and it didn't take too long to get processed for a Z visa once you got the invitation letter for employment from a Chinese organization and authorization for Work Permit from the Labor Ministry (or Foreign Experts Certificate if working in education).

Most reasonable organizations pick up the cost of this rigamarole. Certainly if negotiating a contract with an organization, that should be one of the points to discuss as to getting up front funding or reimbursement for costs.
​​​The requirements became significantly stricter (again) on April 1, 2016. In fact, our visa agent implored me to file before then, but I didn't have my ducks in order.

The good news about the stricter rules is that expat salaries are rising again because there are fewer of us.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:28 am

Hi all,

I searched through the thread but I didn't find anything exactly on point. Traveling to mainland China with my wife for the first time for vacation. I'm looking to get an L visa, but I work as an attorney in the general counsel's office of a federal agency. I saw a similar post where it was recommended they mark "corporate employee" but would you recommend I do the same? when I list the employer name should I abbreviate, should I also include Office of General Counsel? The employer address would also likely note the federal aspect of my employer as it's in the street name. Any advice?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:15 pm

There are jobs that give problems -- e.g., media work -- but I don't recall any reports of problems from Federal workers as such. Just follow the general rule and be concise: "Lawyer, Federal Maritime Commission."
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by 889
There are jobs that give problems -- e.g., media work -- but I don't recall any reports of problems from Federal workers as such. Just follow the general rule and be concise: "Lawyer, Federal Maritime Commission."
sorry quick follow up, would you recommend I Mark corporate employee or government official?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.