Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You leave your passport. I can't recall ever getting a visa where you don't.

I've never seen them be too long, though.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by eeebee
Searched the thread without finding the answer... I'm looking to get a Chinese L tourist visa at the consulate in Los Angeles. The website says about four days' processing time, after which you can "pick up your visa". Although I travel internationally quite a bit, it's usually to countries for which I don't need a visa as a US citizen. My only experience with getting a visa is a work visa for India.

So my question is this: To get the L visa, do I need to leave my passport with the consulate as my visa is being processed? I don't see anything about this in the Chinese embassy's FAQs, and the wording on the website ("pick up your visa", not "pick up your passport") makes me wonder. The reason I ask is because I do have a very important trip to India coming up in just three weeks (and I wouldn't have time to get the Chinese visa afterward), so I don't want to risk anything going wrong with the visa process and not getting my passport back in time.

Thanks
You'll need to leave your passport but it should just take a few business days. However, if you are going to apply, do it asap (early the week of the 5th) so you can get the visa processing completed before the Chinese New Year holiday kicks in. The Consulate will close for the 15th and 16th but may be short-staffed for another few days before the holiday closure. Make sure your application is complete and that the photo meets the strict requirements. Even if you don't use a visa agent, checking the website of a reputable one like www.mychinavisa.com will give you additional insights on preparing the application and support documents, plus any special forms needed.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You leave your passport. I can't recall ever getting a visa where you don't.

I've never seen them be too long, though.
I just did my Chinese visa this week. Dropped it at the consulate on Tuesday afternoon, picked it up today, so I was without my passport for 3 days. Their website suggests 4-5 business days so I was pleasantly surprised.

They also ignored my request for a single entry visa and issued a multi entry that's valid for the remaining life of my passport (7 years) so that was unexpected. Guess I'll just have to go to China a few times to get my money's worth.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

If you're Canadian, that would be standard treatment.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 889
If you're Canadian, that would be standard treatment.
Hmm. Didn't realize that. I have a Canadian passport but live in Houston, so I used the consulate here.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I just did my Chinese visa this week. Dropped it at the consulate on Tuesday afternoon, picked it up today, so I was without my passport for 3 days. Their website suggests 4-5 business days so I was pleasantly surprised.

They also ignored my request for a single entry visa and issued a multi entry that's valid for the remaining life of my passport (7 years) so that was unexpected. Guess I'll just have to go to China a few times to get my money's worth.
Sure it's only for the 7 years left on your passport? As Americans we get 10 years--the visa remains valid even when the passport expires. It just means you have to carry both.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Sure it's only for the 7 years left on your passport? As Americans we get 10 years--the visa remains valid even when the passport expires. It just means you have to carry both.
He's sure. The Canadian deal is a little bit different from the American deal. Canadians get the maximum of 10 years or the expiration of their passport, whichever comes first. Their Chinese visas do not cross over into renewed passports.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jiejie
He's sure. The Canadian deal is a little bit different from the American deal. Canadians get the maximum of 10 years or the expiration of their passport, whichever comes first. Their Chinese visas do not cross over into renewed passports.
All good info. We also have the benefit of paying ~60% of what American citizens do, not that the difference of $60 is that big of a deal in the long run. The fee for my visa was $80, and as I understand it the fee for US citizens is $140.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I haven't been to the Mainland in 9 years. I'm planning to go either later this year or the middle of next year. I heard that there is now a 10 year multiple entry visa available for Canadians. How much is that and what are the details of this visa? Since I haven't booked airfare yet, is it still possible for me to get the visa now? The problem is that I work during the weekdays and unless I'm mistaken, the consulate office in Vancouver is only opened on the weekdays. I have the next couple of Mondays off and I just want to get it so that I don't have to find the time to get the visa later. Are they picky about photo sizes now? I think I read somewhere a couple of years ago that is the case. The last time I applied for the visa, I just used a regular passport size photo without any issues. I also can't find my old passport with a Chinese visa at the moment. I think I read somewhere that if I present an old visa, it'll help speed up the application process?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
All I can say is that a fairly recent Turkish stamp was not spotted on several entries until last week. There was some consternation, and a couple of questions in Chinese about the time spent in Turkey and the purpose of the visit. Not really a big deal, but nonetheless a really big surprise to be asked at all about the Turkish stamps when entering China. (There were two immigration officers in what seemed to be a trainee-trainer situation, and it was the trainer who spotted the Turkish stamp.)
I'm late to this thread. What's the issue with Turkish stamps when visiting China? Sino-Turkish relations at a low point?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I haven't been to the Mainland in 9 years. I'm planning to go either later this year or the middle of next year. I heard that there is now a 10 year multiple entry visa available for Canadians. How much is that and what are the details of this visa? Since I haven't booked airfare yet, is it still possible for me to get the visa now? The problem is that I work during the weekdays and unless I'm mistaken, the consulate office in Vancouver is only opened on the weekdays. I have the next couple of Mondays off and I just want to get it so that I don't have to find the time to get the visa later. Are they picky about photo sizes now? I think I read somewhere a couple of years ago that is the case. The last time I applied for the visa, I just used a regular passport size photo without any issues. I also can't find my old passport with a Chinese visa at the moment. I think I read somewhere that if I present an old visa, it'll help speed up the application process?
You'll need a flight. Here is all the information (you now go through a visa center): https://www.visaforchina.org/YVR_EN/
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I haven't been to the Mainland in 9 years. I'm planning to go either later this year or the middle of next year. I heard that there is now a 10 year multiple entry visa available for Canadians. ...
Most Canadian will get a tourist multi-entry visa for the life of their Canadian passport, max 10years.
The exceptions are dependant on the profession you put on the application and your place of birth.

I find the visa service's fee very reasonable in Vancouver and Toronto as they make sure your application is compliant and they know how to deal with the inner workings at the consulate.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

I'm late to this thread. What's the issue with Turkish stamps when visiting China? Sino-Turkish relations at a low point?
I believe this is due to the fact that many of the Chinese-Muslim minority ethnic groups often have family ties to Turkey. And relations between the Chinese government and the the Muslim minority groups in China is not great.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM
You'll need a flight. Here is all the information (you now go through a visa center): https://www.visaforchina.org/YVR_EN/
Did you had to submit proof of airfare and hotel reservation for your visa?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by B407
I believe this is due to the fact that many of the Chinese-Muslim minority ethnic groups often have family ties to Turkey. And relations between the Chinese government and the the Muslim minority groups in China is not great.
In addition, Turkey is supportive of Uyghurs in China generally and has been accused of allowing transit of Uyghur jihadis into Syria (and the possibility of jihadis transiting the other way into China).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.