Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Hello,
today I have a question as well, not sure if this "configuration" was already covered in this thread:

Current plan:
Ticket A Europe - HK (return airline ticket)
Ticket B HK - China (airline ticket)
Ticket C China - HK is supposed to be via train as flight options are very limited on my intended travel date.

Am I correct that it is mandatory to provide the train ticket at time of visa application in order to "prove" that I am really leaving China?
I do not suppose the booked and confirmed airline ticket Europe - HK - Europe is enough prove?

As one can only buy train tickets one month in advance of travel date I guess I have to wait that long before applying the visa.

Are my assumptions correct or does anyone happen to have other experiences / recommendations?

(Visa applicant has German citizenship.)

Thanks,
SirToby
Old May 23, 2019, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just book a round-trip plane ticket.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jay239
Thanks for that, I am staying at major hotels for two nights and then going on a three day cruise which leaves Shanghai sails for three days (no stops) and returns to Shanghai. If I don’t have to go through immigration on the ship’s return to Shanghai - am I sill eligible for the Twov ? My understanding is that I am, but explaining that to a border officer prove troublesome...
The cruise could be a big problem. Entering China on TWOV restricts you to staying in the "metropolitan area" (my words) of the city at which you enter. Hence, if the cruise leaves the greater Shanghai area, you will be in violation of the TWOV rules. This had nothing to do with the whether or not the cruise ship requires you to go through immigration in either direction (or both). You should check this very carefully, especially if you might wish to visit China in the future.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:03 pm

What kind of cruise? Is this a domestic trip taking you up the Yangtze, and if so, how far?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The cruise could be a big problem. Entering China on TWOV restricts you to staying in the "metropolitan area" (my words) of the city at which you enter. Hence, if the cruise leaves the greater Shanghai area, you will be in violation of the TWOV rules. This had nothing to do with the whether or not the cruise ship requires you to go through immigration in either direction (or both). You should check this very carefully, especially if you might wish to visit China in the future.
Shanghai TWOV includes Jiangsu and Zhejiang, in addition to Shanghai, which is a BIG area. Assuming the cruise is a river cruise that doesn't leave the area, he will remain compliant.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
SH is a major cruise port now with siblings to Japan, S Korea as well as southbound to HK, Okinawa, Taipeit(Keelung), and SE Asia

For these cruises you do exit immigration when you board the ship when it leaves SH.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:35 pm

The cruise we're discussing leaves from and returns to shanghai.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:25 am

But does it stay in Chinese territorial waters? In Hong Kong there are, or used to be, gambling cruises that sail out into international waters where the gambling commences, then return to Hong Kong after all the punters are broke. Even though these cruises start and end in Hong Kong, with no intermediate stops, the passengers are still subject to immigration inspection going and returning.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
The cruise we're discussing leaves from and returns to shanghai.
There are two types of cruises that departs and returns to SH.

Yangtze river cruises stay within Chinese water.

E Asia cruises from SH to Japan/Korea/Taiwan/Hong Kong that is exit immigration processed upon embarkation in SH and entry immigration processed upon disembarkation at SH. Between the two there would be entry and exit stamps in the countries visited.

Originally Posted by 889
But does it stay in Chinese territorial waters? In Hong Kong there are, or used to be, gambling cruises that sail out into international waters where the gambling commences, then return to Hong Kong after all the punters are broke. Even though these cruises start and end in Hong Kong, with no intermediate stops, the passengers are still subject to immigration inspection going and returning.
They are still running
Old May 26, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Unless something has changed recently, you do not need the homeowner to go with you -- I stayed in an Airbnb and just needed to get a piece of paper from my host (I believe it was a photocopy of her ID and a photocopy of her registration at that address) and then went to register at the police station by myself. I did this in Shanghai and it took about 15-20 minutes. They also needed a photocopy of my passport ID page and visa page, and proof that I had arrived in Shanghai within the past 24 hours (I showed them a train itinerary on ctrip on my phone, but cancelled tickets would be a safer bet).

I was expecting to have to do it in Chinese but the officer assigned to the registration window spoke very good English and the form was bilingual -- YMMV outside of major cities of course. Overall the process was easier than I was expecting.
We have registered in Shanghai with nothing but our passports. It doesn't appear there was any English it's possible there was an English speaker about that there simply was no reason to locate (my wife is China-born and speaks/reads/writes at native level.) Passports of course have arrival stamps, it seems they were looked at.

One thing I'd like more clarity about is if there is any registration requirement on overnight trains.
How would one register? And trains aren't urban which would mean 72 hours--and what train goes 72 hours without leaving China? Since your tickets are linked to your passport they would know you were on the train.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
No, you do not have to register anywhere if you are taking an overnight train. However, in these troubled times, I'd recommend saving the ticket until you exit China on that trip, in case Immigration decides to punch up your record in the database and sees a gap. Presenting a ticket stub can forestall any issues. Next best thing would be the confirmation of the train reservation...not proof that you were actually on the train, but pretty good evidence. This can be carried hard copy or electronically. When paper tickets eventually go by the wayside, electronic trail will be the only proof.
They would know if the ticket was used and you have to show ID and your ticket to get into the train station. That's not perfect but it's a pretty good indication.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:00 am

FYI, a friend forwarded me a wx article today from a company called visaforchina dot com that I can't figure out how to post here. It is about new work permit rules and the consequences of violating them. Some pretty scary stuff!

It appears that English teachers are a big target. Also, working on M visas has always been a gray area, but is now considerably less gray.

I have a work permit, and a company, but I used to take on side jobs. I am no longer willing to take that risk because my work permit only allows me to do my own (narrowly defined) job.

Last edited by moondog; May 30, 2019 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Can Dual National Living in US Get Visa in the Non-US Passport?

It is cheaper to obtain a visa for an EU passport vs. the cost for a US passport.

Can a dual US/EU citizen living in the US obtain a Chinese visa in their EU passport?

Anyone have any experience of know for a fact whether
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
It is cheaper to obtain a visa for an EU passport vs. the cost for a US passport.

Can a dual US/EU citizen living in the US obtain a Chinese visa in their EU passport?
Sure, but probably not at a Chinese consulate in the U.S. To do that you'd need to show you were living in the U.S. legally under your EU passport (e.g. residency visa, green card). If your proof that you are residing legally in the U.S. is your U.S. passport, they will only issue you a visa in your U.S. passport.

If you have some claim to residency in the EU country where your passport is issued (residency documents, lease, etc.), you could fly there or use a visa service located there to get a Chinese visa from the consulate/embassy there in the EU.

Note that Chinese visa terms for U.S. passports are in general more generous -- for example you can get the 10-year visa, whereas EU passports cannot.

If you're applying at a land border YMMV, I'd except they'd want to see the passport that has the entrance stamp for the country you are in when you're applying.

Also keep in mind you'll get the consular support from the passport you entered on -- for example if you got arrested and you entered on your Polish passport, you'd get a consular visit by the Polish authorities.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:52 pm

Sure, but probably not at a Chinese consulate in the U.S. To do that you'd need to show you were living in the U.S. legally under your EU passport (e.g. residency visa, green card). If your proof that you are residing legally in the U.S. is your U.S. passport, they will only issue you a visa in your U.S. passport.
Do you know this for a fact, or is it just your interpretation of what is on the consular website? I realize that the website talks about showing a green card, etc., but that could just be the most common situation for illustrative purpose. I know from a friend that even though the (former) Russian consulate had similar language on its website, he was able to get a visa here in the US by showing his US passport for proof of legal residency, but got the visa in his German passport.

Also keep in mind you'll get the consular support from the passport you entered on -- for example if you got arrested and you entered on your Polish passport, you'd get a consular visit by the Polish authorities.
I have seen people say this before on Flyertalk, but I have never seen any substantiation that it is true. There is certainly nothing in US law that says you are not entitled to consular protection if you entered a country on other than your US passport. Do you have information that there is something in Chinese law that if you have two passports and are arrested they will only allow the consular representative corresponding to the passport on which you entered the country to vist you in jail?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.