FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Does anyone have an update on MCT at PEK T3-T3 I->I?

United sold me a ticket on CA ICN-PEK-xxx with a 1hr15min connection. The weird thing is CA.com will also sell this ticket so CA thinks it's a legal connection. EF says the MCT is 2 hours.

1hr15min is tight on a great day at PEK. I'm wondering if this is a legal connection or not and what the latest transfer procedures are like in PEK. I've never done it.

As far as I know I will get off the plane and follow the signs for Transit passengers which includes a security check and that's it. Do I need to take the train anywhere?

Thanks,
RM
60 minutes
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:00 am

International to international at T3 is very simple. You have plenty of time.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
Am I safe to assume that HKG-PEK (on CA) connecting to PEK-IAD (on United) will be international to international? The two hours between flights would seem like plenty of time, but I'll have two small kids along, so don't want to stress over a risky connections. My last experience with PEK was CTU-PEK-IAD, so not a fair comparison.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by tim iridium
Am I safe to assume that HKG-PEK (on CA) connecting to PEK-IAD (on United) will be international to international? The two hours between flights would seem like plenty of time, but I'll have two small kids along, so don't want to stress over a risky connections. My last experience with PEK was CTU-PEK-IAD, so not a fair comparison.

Thanks,
Tim
2hrs on such a connection (which is indeed considered int-int) are usually fine. For immigration purposes, Hong Kong, Macao as well as the province of Taiwan are considered international (including ability to use TWOV)

Flights incoming from HKG could be a bit more delayed than true international flights, though. But I'd not worry too much about it (obviously, as long as booked on one ticket)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tim iridium

Thanks,
Tim
Both are in terminal 3, so this is a lot of time.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Both are in terminal 3, so this is a lot of time.
I agree that 2 hours is a lot of time. The thing is, it isn't especially uncommon for HKG-PEK flights to run 2 hours behind schedule. But, like YuropFlyer suggests, if it's all on one ticket, the OP doesn't have much to worry about.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:34 am

Damn. Hit by schedule changes, and need to rebook myself.

I expect to arrive with HU492 BRU-PEK T2 at 5:30 AM (all flights of the past 10 days arrived slightly ahead of schedule).

What is the risk of aiming at PEK T3 8:00 AM KA905?

2h30 hours for T2 INT -> T3 INT.

Travelling without luggage. No visa, 24h transit.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:46 am

Assuming you're an experienced traveller, your chance to make this connection is good.

If you arrive on time, you can expect to be landside no later than 6am - and even 6.30am won't really be an issue.

Dragonair allows online checkin for PEK - https://www.seatmaestro.com/airlines...ines/check-in/

All Dragonair flights (KA), including codeshare flights operated by Cathay Pacific, departing from: Hong Kong, Bengaluru (Bangalore), Beijing, Busan, Chiang Mai, Dhaka, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Hanoi, Kaohsiung, Kathmandu, Kolkata, Kota Kinabalu, Manila, Shanghai (Hongqiao and Pudong), Taipei, Taichung, Phuket, and Phnom Penh.

Thus, you can go straight to Gate in T3.

Bus transfer (between the Terminals) is easy and well signed

http://en.bcia.com.cn/traffic/freebus/index.shtml

After 6am, there is a bus every 10 minutes (I never found the waiting time to be longer) - head for "Gate 7 of Arrival floor of T2"

Transfer from T2 (via T1) to T3 should take no longer than 20 minutes (totally 30min including waiting, max)

That means you should get - even if you're only landside at 6.30am - be at T3 at 7am. With a boarding pass in hand, absolutely no problem (counter of Dragonair closes 60min before departure)

Of course, your incoming flight shouldn't be delayed much.. but long haul - as you noticed - rarely get delayed. And there is a little bit extra time in that schedule..

Plus, since your connecting flight isn't a long haul one, a worst-case rebooking wouldn't amount to lots of money spent.

If I had the choice, I would probably still book a longer connection, but it's doable, and your chance of making it is well above 95% in my book.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:34 am

Was not allowed to rebook on KA.

Got offered CA101, leaving T3 at 8:05.

In general, OLCI possible?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:42 am

Is there an Air China transfer desk in T2?

Does Air China allow OLCI for PEK-HKG (even when ticketed on other ticket stock)?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:13 am

No, Air China has nothing at T2. They're operating out of T3.

Yes, they allow online checkin

http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/servic...c_cities.shtml

Online check-in for Air China-operated flights departing from Beijing for other parts of Mainland China and Asian cities (except Thailand, United Arab Emirates and Myanmar) is available from 20:00 two days before flight departure to 1 hour before flight departure.

You'll be fine. Do online checkin while still at home. Once landed in T2, show the eticket and/or your boarding pass, get cleared for TWOV, go to the shuttle bus, ride over to T3..

Nothing to worry about.. your chance to make the connection with CA is above 95%. And you'll know (almost) for sure if you're making it or not while still in BRU. If you're departing - more or less on time - then something MASSIVE would have to happen for you to miss the connection.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Once again, thanks a lot YuropFlyer.

Just hoping on a smooth OLCI with CA, even though I have a CZ ticket number.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by 336
Once again, thanks a lot YuropFlyer.

Just hoping on a smooth OLCI with CA, even though I have a CZ ticket number.
I haven't been able to do OLCI with CA. One thing though, OLCI or not, I believe you still need a paper BP to collect all the stamps through immigration and security in T3E. So I ended up checking in at PEK and got a paper BP anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I haven't been able to do OLCI with CA. One thing though, OLCI or not, I believe you still need a paper BP to collect all the stamps through immigration and security in T3E. So I ended up checking in at PEK and got a paper BP anyway.
The kiosks reliably crank out paper BPs in short order (i.e. much faster than dealing with a human), and if you're already checked in, you needn't worry about missing the cutoff. I've had mixed results with self-printed BPs, but because there is a possibility of being rejected, I now make it a point to stop by the kiosks.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:10 am

OLCI appears to be not possible for my CA101 PEK-HKG ticketed on CZ (rerouted due to cancelled CZ flight).

I can verify ticket status on CA site.
I can access the booking on CZ, but not proceed with checkin.

Hoping al goes smooth on 2,5h T2 INT -> T3 INT with out Chinese visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.