Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tim iridium
Hi, all -

I'm flying CTU-PEK-IAD (Air China, connecting to UA) and wondered whether just under two hours is sufficient for the domestic to international connection in PEK? Want to leave CTU as late as possible so I have some time in the morning to see the sights in Chengdu. Looks like Air China flight from CTU arrives PEK at 1640 and the United flight to IAD departs at 1825.

Thanks,
Tim
If the consequences of not being on that UA flight to IAD are negative, then absolutely, unequivocably 2 hours is a bad connection idea. Chances are better than average that you would be significantly delayed into PEK and misconnect. Also, you can check with CA on whether they can send your baggage all the way through CTU-IAD so you wouldn't have to manually pick it up at PEK, but normally that's not the way it works for domestic to international connections. In summary, the best idea is to not wait until the last day to get to Beijing, but if you must do so, at least give yourself a 4-5 hour connection and pick a flight that has one later backup that could still get you into PEK by 16:00. If that means foregoing some Chengdu sightseeing, c'est la vie.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by 336
Thank you for your response and alertness, as indeed, I mixed up the terminals.

Expected to arrive in T2 with HU, and looking to transfer onto T2 HX (2h) or CZ (2.5h).

Note that we intend to travel without checked baggage.

Other option would be T3, CA.

Thanks for also giving your feedback on T2 transit.

Anyone able to give feedback?

I intend on doing INT T2 <=> INT T2.

I noticed HU sells the 2h connection with HX. As I already have my HU BRU-PEK, I would purchase a seperate HX PEK-HKG, but in doubt about the 2h connection. Travelling without checked luggage.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 336

I noticed HU sells the 2h connection with HX. As I already have my HU BRU-PEK, I would purchase a seperate HX PEK-HKG, but in doubt about the 2h connection. Travelling without checked luggage.
Odds are Bru-Pek will be close to on time, and the HK flight won't, so I like your chances. That having been said, with separate tickets, you run the risk of ticket #2 becoming worthless.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by 336

I don't know about T2. IIRC, check-in for T3 international stops at 60 minutes before departure. If PEK-HKG is late, it depends on when it becomes late. If they start boarding or take-off late only, there is a risk check-in will be closed on schedule.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't know about T2. IIRC, check-in for T3 international stops at 60 minutes before departure. If PEK-HKG is late, it depends on when it becomes late. If they start boarding or take-off late only, there is a risk check-in will be closed on schedule.
These days, they're getting pretty good at calling delays in advance (so that the actual departure time changes), and I kind of like this system, especially when the airline notifies me before I head to the airport.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. From what I understand on the HX website, I would be able to do OLCI up to 48h in advance. Combined with the fact that I do not intend to check in luggage, that would help me mitigating the risks I presume?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by 336
Thanks for the feedback. From what I understand on the HX website, I would be able to do OLCI up to 48h in advance. Combined with the fact that I do not intend to check in luggage, that would help me mitigating the risks I presume?
I don't know if PEK accepts mobile boarding pass. Chinese authorities like to put stamps everywhere on BPs. If you have to go through check-in, you still need to do it before check-in closes for the flight.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
These days, they're getting pretty good at calling delays in advance (so that the actual departure time changes), and I kind of like this system, especially when the airline notifies me before I head to the airport.
I have been lucky the past year that my flights have been within 30 minutes of ETD and have not encountered any cancellation, except one occasion when I flew HKG-TNA (it was delayed by 5 hours). I flew Shenzhen Airlines that time. When they notified me, I was already on my way to HKIA .
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't know if PEK accepts mobile boarding pass. Chinese authorities like to put stamps everywhere on BPs. If you have to go through check-in, you still need to do it before check-in closes for the flight.
Mobile boarding passes don't work because of the stamp requirement, but you can print yourself or at a kiosk anytime before departure, assuming you check in online.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
According to Hainan Airlines website even self-printed boarding passes are not accepted, so at a minimum this means using a kiosk at T2 to print the boarding pass I imagine.

Code:
According to airport requirements, printed out boarding passes
from online check-in is not accepted for international flights departing 
from Beijing. Please get your boarding pass issued at Beijing capital 
airport T2.

(
https://www.hainanairlines.com/US/US/CICT)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:54 am

Thanks for the very detailed feedback.

If I would take CZ at 8u45, I would have 45 min more (total 2h45). CZ website also indicates that OLCI is possible. Remember: no checked luggage.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 336
Thanks for the very detailed feedback.

If I would take CZ at 8u45, I would have 45 min more (total 2h45). CZ website also indicates that OLCI is possible. Remember: no checked luggage.
HX might (or might not) have a little more mercy on you than CZ if things don't go smoothly because they and HU are both HNA Group companies. In either case, I give you good odds at pulling off the connection, but just be prepared (mentally and financially) for the the scenario in which you are required to buy a new onward ticket by PRC border control in order to comply with TWOV.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by moondog
HX might (or might not) have a little more mercy on you than CZ if things don't go smoothly because they and HU are both HNA Group companies. In either case, I give you good odds at pulling off the connection, but just be prepared (mentally and financially) for the the scenario in which you are required to buy a new onward ticket by PRC border control in order to comply with TWOV.
With an incoming longhaul, I would rate this risk fairly low. When he departs - more or less on time - in BRU, the chance of needing to buy a ticket before immigration is close to 0.

And if he's departing with a solid delay, he might actually have to change / buy a new ticket while still in BRU to even be allowed boarding.

Of course that leaves any delay like 1-2hrs, where, depending on his luck (and flight path, wind, ATC..), he might still make it or not.

At least he'll have full EU261 compensation ability in the case of a longer delay. Worst that could happen to him would be a delay like above 1.5hrs and below 3hrs
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by 336
I have done OLCI for HX flights leaving China 48 hours in advance with no problem with the phone app. The PC app is problematic. You still need a proper boarding pass at some point, though, as others have pointed out.

I have missed two connections on HX, one before departure but too late to make it to the gate and the second arriving after departure. For both I had to pay the change fee associated with my ticket (around HKD 500) to get it changed. But that fee varies by ticket so you may need to check yours. I tried to argue saying it was not my fault and because I was in the air I could not contact them. They told me to take up the issue with MU, the airline I was connecting from. They said at least I was not being treated as a no-show which they felt the second time I technically was. And I have Gold status in their mileage program run by HU. I think your treatment will vary greatly by the staff where you are connecting. And when you land too late for check in you need to pull out all your persuasive powers to get something done timely.

This said, their business fares are still substantially lower than CX.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Does anyone have an update on MCT at PEK T3-T3 I->I?

United sold me a ticket on CA ICN-PEK-xxx with a 1hr15min connection. The weird thing is CA.com will also sell this ticket so CA thinks it's a legal connection. EF says the MCT is 2 hours.

1hr15min is tight on a great day at PEK. I'm wondering if this is a legal connection or not and what the latest transfer procedures are like in PEK. I've never done it.

As far as I know I will get off the plane and follow the signs for Transit passengers which includes a security check and that's it. Do I need to take the train anywhere?

Thanks,
RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.