Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:08 am

While, as people say above, it appears to be a legal connection and probably doable, this is not something that I would do. I don't care that the airline will give me meal vouchers, my goal is to make the flight - on the same day, not a day or 2 later. Yes it is possible that it might work but not highly probably.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
While, as people say above, it appears to be a legal connection and probably doable, this is not something that I would do. I don't care that the airline will give me meal vouchers, my goal is to make the flight - on the same day, not a day or 2 later. Yes it is possible that it might work but not highly probably.
I would still give it a 80%+ chance to make the connection. And if any alternative is much more expensive, and it doesn't matter for him if he arrives at his destination a day later, it's still definitely doable.

I've done a 2 hours connection in PEK on 2 separate tickets, now that's something I wouldn't do again (still made the flight ) - if there is no real alternative to it (say, CA is 400$ cheaper than anything else) and money being an issue, I would definitely consider it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I would still give it a 80%+ chance to make the connection.
For the reverse (YYZ-PEK-HKG), I would not only agree, but I'd go with a higher percentage because long haul arrivals tend to get breaks from ATC (diversions to TSN make them look bad and work harder).

However, HKG-PEK doesn't get a whole lot of love:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CCA112
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:48 am

Yes it is on the same ticket. I mentioned about the insurance because if something goes wrong, I won't need to sleep at the airport.

Looks like 75 minutes is pushing it. Based on past 2 weeks, CA112 has a 33% chance of being 30 minutes late, and there is 20% chance that AC32 would depart within 30 minutes of CA112. I guess I will either pick a 3 hour connection, or maybe a 7 hour one so I can wander out for a few hours.

Shortest layover I have done is 35 minutes in Guam, and the first flight was late by over 30 minutes. Essentially rushed to the other gate but at least there was no passport check and Guam airport is small.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by elty
Yes it is on the same ticket. I mentioned about the insurance because if something goes wrong, I won't need to sleep at the airport.

Looks like 75 minutes is pushing it. Based on past 2 weeks, CA112 has a 33% chance of being 30 minutes late, and there is 20% chance that AC32 would depart within 30 minutes of CA112. I guess I will either pick a 3 hour connection, or maybe a 7 hour one so I can wander out for a few hours.

Shortest layover I have done is 35 minutes in Guam, and the first flight was late by over 30 minutes. Essentially rushed to the other gate but at least there was no passport check and Guam airport is small.
I think if it is the same PNR, the airline will provide you with accommodation in case of any delay.

Anyway you should rather take 3 hours layover to be on safer side and to reach on your intended time and date Insurance surely is not needed though as airline is more than responsible for any delays. They issued the ticket now it is their responsibility to take you to your destination
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
I think if it is the same PNR, the airline will provide you with accommodation in case of any delay.

Anyway you should rather take 3 hours layover to be on safer side and to reach on your intended time and date Insurance surely is not needed though as airline is more than responsible for any delays. They issued the ticket now it is their responsibility to take you to your destination
I wouldn't bet on this at all (China doesn't have strong consumer protection laws, and CA is probably only getting around $150 for its portion of the ticket), but like I said earlier in this thread, this is kind of a non-issue for people who don't want to spend 24 hours hanging out in the vicinity of the airport. The key point about being on one ticket is that you don't risk no-showing for the expensive transpac segment. Still, planning a night in Beijing by going up the day before is preferable to swinging one at the last minute out of necessity.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:15 am

1hr layover in PEK b/w PEK>RGN flight?

I originally booked a flight from NYC that gave me a 5hr layover in PEK before my flight to RGN. Air China just bumped me off that flight onto a later flight with only a 1hr layover...

Is connection even possible?

Usually I don't care so much, BUT the PEK>RGN Air China flight only operates 1x a day on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun and in the event that I miss this Fri connection, i'd get stuck in PEK until Sunday evening...

Looking for info regarding immigration/transfer or experience with this layover! Any help is appreciated. Luckily both flights are at least in the same Terminal (3).

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by pastorpm10
I originally booked a flight from NYC that gave me a 5hr layover in PEK before my flight to RGN. Air China just bumped me off that flight onto a later flight with only a 1hr layover...

Is connection even possible?

Usually I don't care so much, BUT the PEK>RGN Air China flight only operates 1x a day on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun and in the event that I miss this Fri connection, i'd get stuck in PEK until Sunday evening...

Looking for info regarding immigration/transfer or experience with this layover! Any help is appreciated. Luckily both flights are at least in the same Terminal (3).

Thanks!
Is the new layover an hour exactly, or an hour and change? This makes a difference because I'd be pretty comfortable with 1.5 hours, somewhat comfortable with 1.25 hours, but wouldn't roll the dice on 1 hour. Basically, your in bound flight will probably be on time (based on historical data), and your outbound flight stands a good chance of being late. Furthermore, 1 hour is probably enough time if all goes well, BUT transit border control could take as long as 40 minutes if you chance upon a bad day (could also be 5 minutes).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:29 pm

Well according to the itinerary I have 70 minutes in PEK. Just going to have to blast through the terminal. I don't check in any luggage, so that'll shave off some time hopefully...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:46 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I would not be 100% comfortable with a connection at PEK under 2 hours.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:51 am

No - not comfortable at all.

I actually spoke with Air China over the weekend and the woman didn't seem to care. She just said either cancel it or choose another date to fly. None of those options work for me.

The original flight I booked (w/ 5hr layover in PEK) has now been cancelled altogether.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by pastorpm10
No - not comfortable at all.

I actually spoke with Air China over the weekend and the woman didn't seem to care. She just said either cancel it or choose another date to fly. None of those options work for me.

The original flight I booked (w/ 5hr layover in PEK) has now been cancelled altogether.
With all due respect, your posting posture reeks of arrogance. As such, I don't believe that you spoke with the CA person in a friendly manner. Is your route also one with many flights?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:13 am

Absolutely no arrogance whatsoever.

These flights weren't free and as a paying customer I called wondering what had happened to my original flight. I specifically chose the flight with the 5 hour layover knowing that 1 hour would be cutting it very close. I expected nothing from the spokesperson, except an explanation as to why my original flight had disappeared. Also wanted to know if she thought it was plausible to make the connection within the hour, and asked if other people on board faced the same situation.

I've already spent enough time in Beijing in the past, and was hoping she could help me find another alternative rather than a) canceling, b) choosing another date. But those were the only cards she held.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What alternatives were you expecting?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:19 am

Any kind of rerouting that would've played nice with my schedule. Different airports, different connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.