Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2. There's no cost but Air China will probably resist giving you a hotel room if an overnight stay is needed. You should be eligible for 24 or 72 hour TWOV so don't worry about being allowed to leave the airport if you're forced to fly the next day.

Pay attention to your itineraries. UA award tickets with Air China segments in first and business class are being "mysteriously" cancelled. There's a big thread on this in the UA forum. AFAIK their have been no reports of this happening to Air Canada award tickets, but IMO you should pay attention just in case the problem mysteriously spreads.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan member
Excellent , thanks for the quick response YuropFlyer.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
2. There's no cost but Air China will probably resist giving you a hotel room if an overnight stay is needed. You should be eligible for 24 or 72 hour TWOV so don't worry about being allowed to leave the airport if you're forced to fly the next day.

Pay attention to your itineraries. UA award tickets with Air China segments in first and business class are being "mysteriously" cancelled. There's a big thread on this in the UA forum. AFAIK their have been no reports of this happening to Air Canada award tickets, but IMO you should pay attention just in case the problem mysteriously spreads.
Thanks MSPeconomist, appreciate the quick response. ab56
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:45 pm

HKG - PEK - YYZ 1 hour 15 minute layover - enough?

I heard 1 hour is the legal minimum... but practically speaking is it enough? This will be in November if it makes any difference.

Air China CA112
Departs : 14:20 Hong Kong (HKG)
Arrives : 17:30 Beijing (PEK)

Change plane in Beijing Time to connect : 1h 15 min

Air Canada AC32
Departs : 18:45 Beijing (PEK)
Arrives : 18:35 Toronto Pearson (YYZ)

I supposed if I booked this flight with a credit card with trip delay insurance, then I can potentially get a 1 night free stay if something goes wrong?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by elty
I heard 1 hour is the legal minimum... but practically speaking is it enough? This will be in November if it makes any difference.

Air China CA112

Air Canada AC32

I supposed if I booked this flight with a credit card with trip delay insurance, then I can potentially get a 1 night free stay if something goes wrong?
If it's booked on one ticket, you have nothing to worry about because you'll be protected if the first flight is delayed.

If it's booked on two separate tickets, you *might* be able to get the PNRs linked so that disruptions don't have negative repercussions (because both CA and AC are in *A). If that's not possible, I would fly to PEK the night before (not because I'd be remotely worried about a morning flight misconnecting with a 645p flight, but because I'd rather spend a night in Beijing than half a day waiting in an airport).

HKG-PEK is a delay prone route, in case you're curious.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by elty

Air China CA112

Air Canada AC32

I Believe this will be one PNR , so its really nothing to worry, even if your flight is delayed, they will cover you. If not then I personally would not take this option.

About Insurance, If you can speak some chinese you may find your way to it, if not and in Beijing , then all the best
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
I Believe this will be one PNR ,
While you might be right, what in the OP makes you think this? (The simple mention of insurance raised alarm bells for me.)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by moondog
While you might be right, what in the OP makes you think this? (The simple mention of insurance raised alarm bells for me.)
They are both *A, thats why. But yes, now that you have mentioned, why is travel delay insurance even mentioned ?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:12 am

Just tried an itinerary on Air China's site, it indeed allows to book this route in the same ticket. So its good to go!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Flights from HKG to PEK/PVG are heavily delayed, especially later in the day. Yesterday's flight was 25 minutes late leaving gate and today's 55 minutes late and scheduled to arrive at 6:10p. Some day's are worse. Your chance of making the connection is not as great as one may think.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 16, 2014 at 2:42 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I don't know how the logistics work, but if the HKG flight is delayed then there is a good chance the YYZ will be too. It has been pretty stormy here the last month or so and delays and cancellations have been worse than usual.

Not sure if check in/transfer stays open later if the flight is delayed and a double delay is clutching at straws at best, I'm sure someone else can comment better.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
I don't know how the logistics work, but if the HKG flight is delayed then there is a good chance the YYZ will be too. It has been pretty stormy here the last month or so and delays and cancellations have been worse than usual.

Not sure if check in/transfer stays open later if the flight is delayed and a double delay is clutching at straws at best, I'm sure someone else can comment better.
the OP is traveling in November.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:33 am

Weather wise, imho November should be still ok in PEK - however the later in the month, the bigger the chance for some early snow (And I've had snow in PEK in early November too..) - however weather might also delay the second flight, so it's not like it's definitely going to kill the routing.

That said, as long as it's on 1 ticket, and you don't absolutely have to be at your destination on time, I would book it if there is not any alternative.

Should you miss your connection, it would be CA's duty to provide meals&overnight accommodation, of course a credit card might be also useful (but I don't know if they're happily covering it when CA, for example, wants to book you into the Ibis, and you insist on going to the Langham instead ) but I wouldn't stress that out too much.

So yes, on 1 ticket, and without the need to be really back on time, I would say, go ahead, book it. I'd prefer a 2-3 hours connection myself, as 1hr15min, if everything on time, basically means deboarding, passport check, transfer security, walking to gate, boarding, without much time for the lounge if at all, but if you're not *G/flying C, then having a tight connection might not even be the worst thing
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Should you miss your connection, it would be CA's duty to provide meals&overnight accommodation,
I may or may not take them up on the meal vouchers, but would probably fend for myself on the accommodation front (the CITC Hotel isn't nearly as dire as the Ibis, but still isn't a place I'd fancy spending a night unless I arrived very late, and was heading out early the next day).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I may or may not take them up on the meal vouchers, but would probably fend for myself on the accommodation front (the CITC Hotel isn't nearly as dire as the Ibis, but still isn't a place I'd fancy spending a night unless I arrived very late, and was heading out early the next day).
Just checked the schedule, PEK-YYZ is a 6pm departure (I guess till November won't have changes) with single daily frequency. So unless CA is allowing rebooking on another carrier (and with connection somewhere on the way - doubt it) it would mean 24 hours in PEK. Which can be pleasant in early November if the weather is right - or outright horrible if it isn't.

And yes, I'd agree with you, an airport hotel in such a case wouldn't be the best idea. If you arrive late at night and depart in the morning, IBIS (which I've done actually, didn't found it that bad) or CITC would definitely do, but for a full day, including a full evening, I would go to the city to some nice place. PEK isn't that cheap anymore, but decent accomodation can still be found for a reasonable price, so if CA only wants to be pay for a certain airport hotel, heading to your own one of choice might not be that bad idea after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.