FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I'm doing EWR-LAX (UA) LAX-PEK-SYX (CA) on one ticket. Fair to assume that EWR will be the last time I'll need to see my bag until SYX? Or will I need to re-check at LAX or PEK for the Air China flights? Traveling F all the way through.
Yes. Since you are on one ticket and also the benefit of flying with *A, they should check your luggage all the way through. Upon landing in PEK, you will need to clear Immigration and per the website, your luggage will transferred. Kind of confusing whether CA will do it automatically or do you do a drop off.

http://www.airchina.us/en/baggage_beijing.html
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Yes. Since you are on one ticket and also the benefit of flying with *A, they should check your luggage all the way through. Upon landing in PEK, you will need to clear Immigration and per the website, your luggage will transferred. Kind of confusing whether CA will do it automatically or do you do a drop off.

http://www.airchina.us/en/baggage_beijing.html
Won't be automatic. He'll have to pick up at PEK Bag Claim and go through Customs, then either recheck at bag drop for CA domestic (if still exists and bag is tagged to SZX) or recheck upstairs at Domestic Departures. Similar concept to what happens when arriving from intl flight at a USA gateway that is not one's final destination.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:59 am

On a related note, is there any issue for Air China to only check bags part of the way on a 1-ticket itinerary?

I'm flying SYX-PEK, where I arrive around 12:30am, and don't fly onto LAX until 1:30pm. Was wondering if I could check my bags to PEK, and re-check them when I return to the airport for my onward journey to the US.
Definitely you can and it's the way I would do this. At check-in at SYX, just make sure you tell them to tag only to PEK where you will pick bags up and recheck separately to USA next day. They may default to doing this anyway since it's an overnight stop.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hydrogen
So really, it would pretty much be MU. Might just be easier to fly to PVG and take CRH to Nanjing.
Not if you're already at the airport... the train station is almost an hour away.

ETA: I just realized that you were talking about flying to SH and then taking a train. If you go to SHA, this is not a horrible idea because the train station is attached to T2, but it's still sub optimal. PVG is just as far from SHA as PEK is from Beijing South. You don't want to do either.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jiejie
Won't be automatic. He'll have to pick up at PEK Bag Claim and go through Customs, then either recheck at bag drop for CA domestic (if still exists and bag is tagged to SZX) or recheck upstairs at Domestic Departures. Similar concept to what happens when arriving from intl flight at a USA gateway that is not one's final destination.
Yes, that is what I figured. It would be unfortunate if the paxs needs to go to the departure level just to drop off the luggage. The website I provided seems to suggest CA will take the luggage shortly after clearing Customs.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
So are you saying the Air China site is wrong and that they don't automatically transfer international to domestic bags on their metal?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
So are you saying the Air China site is wrong and that they don't automatically transfer international to domestic bags on their metal?
I think jiejie is discussing the general case. That said, it's not absolutely clear that a passenger connecting to a CA flight in the US would have this service, although it seems unlikely that CA would distinguish between bags that were checked at LAX vs. checked elsewhere through LAX.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:37 pm

I'm saying that you are going to be touching your luggage in PEK. If you are entering China at PEK, that is where you will go through Immigration and Customs even if your final domestic China destination is elsewhere. This means pick up your bags at PEK Baggage Claim and walk through Customs....usually this is no big deal for obvious foreigners and you just walk past officers to the exit. Sometimes Customs will randomly designate people to bring their stuff to the xray machines and/or inspection tables for a look-see....but usually about 95%+ of foreigners aren't bothered. This is not under CA discretion but Chinese government policy. The USA is no different: If I was flying PEK-SFO-DEN, I'd have to go through US Immigration in SFO, then pick up my bags and go through Customs there as well. If my bags were tagged all the way to DEN, I could put them through the bag transfer area after SFO Customs. Otherwise; I'd have to go to my SFO-DEN airline check-in desk.

Therefore, the only question is whether CA will have operational when you pass by, the transfer baggage area after Customs where you can put your SZX-bound bags (if tagged that way), or if you will have to go back upstairs to departure level to CA desk to recheck the stuff.

Regardless, you will arrive in SZX as a domestic passenger and thus no Immigration or Customs there--just pick up bags at domestic Bag Claim area and head for the exit.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:22 pm

I'm saying that you are going to be touching your luggage in PEK.
In his case, yes. However, on single flight number routes like FRA-PEK-SHE, Shenyang pax clear border control in PEK, but don't have to see their bags until they arrive in SHE.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, AA
Connection time at PEK

Hello all,
Travelling from EWR-BKK in late Nov. (United award tkt, First class).

Details are as follows-

EWR-ORD on United
ORD- PEK on United (getting in at 3:40 pm)
PEK-BKK on Thai (departing 5:05 pm)

Connecting time in PEK is only 1 hour and 25 min. United reservations agent told me minimum is 1:30 minutes.

Am I cutting it too close? We will have checked in baggage. (US citizens, if it matters)

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Bags should be able to be checked through. You'll go through transit lane, which can be shorter, and Thai should be in same area of terminal so there's not a lot of walking to do. I think you'll be okay if your flight is on time, but if you're late it could be tight.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Bags should be able to be checked through. You'll go through transit lane, which can be shorter, and Thai should be in same area of terminal so there's not a lot of walking to do. I think you'll be okay if your flight is on time, but if you're late it could be tight.
Thanks for info. Looking for an alternate flight, but at this stage in the game, not going to be easy. Original itinerary with better connections was in biz, but need to change date. Will pay fee, cough up extra miles for upgrade to first, and probably have to stick with this itinerary - don't want to scrap plans altogether !
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would disagree here. OP proposes an itinerary with 85 minutes to connect at PEK, an airport that he/she apparently doesn't even know well. MCT is 90 minutes. Obviously 85 < 90.

I would be very surprised if UA will ticket this on one ticket or one itinerary. It's "illegal." Two tickets/PNRs would be even more risky and cost more miles.

Moreover, if OP does get this ticket, check in could be refused at the airport. Or at the airport, UA will refuse to accept checked bags. If OP gets to PEK and misses an illegal connection, UA and TG might well refuse to help. If bag doesn't make the connection, TG could refuse to deliver it to OP's hotel or to give compensation for a lost bag. Etc.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:15 am

Wow, will have to call United and ask some more questions. Tickets are on hold since I am in the middle of transferring miles to the accounts. The last agent I spoke to did say it should be okay, they would take care of me at no cost if United was delayed, etc etc but would like something more concrete. And yes, first visit to PEK.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by pthom
Wow, will have to call United and ask some more questions. Tickets are on hold since I am in the middle of transferring miles to the accounts. The last agent I spoke to did say it should be okay, they would take care of me at no cost if United was delayed, etc etc If you beleive that I have some land in Florida and bridge in NYC to sell you but would like something more concrete. That would be the prudent thing to do given your first transit at PEK. And yes, first visit to PEK.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.
IME many phone agents does not know anything about the airport their airlines flies into and out of, especially overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.