Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: QFF
anyone?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by somebol
anyone?
IIRC the MCT is a bit longer than longer than an hour, but if you were able to ticket this, then it's probably worth a roll of the dice if you can get protected on CA's flight to BKK (which leaves 2.5 hours later).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
IIRC the MCT is a bit longer than longer than an hour, but if you were able to ticket this, then it's probably worth a roll of the dice if you can get protected on CA's flight to BKK (which leaves 2.5 hours later).
no I have not ticketed this yet. I am planning a US DM award so wanted to check before booking.

So you think US DM wont even ticket this?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:03 pm

no I have not ticketed this yet. I am planning a US DM award so wanted to check before booking.

So you think US DM wont even ticket this?
It appears that MCT for I-I connections in T3 is 60 minutes on the nose:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-time-pek.html

So, I think that you should be able to get it ticketed.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: various
It's not a connection I would ticket voluntarily. I think it's too tight even if the incoming is on-time. I'd ticket in order of preference:
1) earlier *A flight KIX-PEK such as NH159 + TG615, or
2) keep the CA928 + change to the later CA979

Based on availability, of course.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd take the NH to TG connection, assuming it's available. [Will this be an award ticket?]
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
On time performance at BJS is not very good generally speaking, ATC delays are common as are long taxis to the terminal. It may be a legal connection, but at best it will be very tight. I would definitely look to put more time into the connection, to not be stuck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd take the NH to TG connection, assuming it's available. [Will this be an award ticket?]
Yes, answered in post #4.

Knowing that--

-CA is operating the initial segment
-The last flight out of PEK-T3 to BKK is also operated by CA
-1 hour DOES meet MCT rules
-Loads on BKK flights are very weak these days

--I would book the short connection without the least bit of hesitation (unless a more logical itinerary became available... PEK is far removed from the direct path between KIX and BKK, and also happens to be the most delay prone airport in the world).
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:07 am

PEK is far removed from the direct path between KIX and BKK, and also happens to be the most delay prone airport in the world).
This is true. Have you checked connections/availability on Asiana via ICN or EVA via TPE?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:59 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to take advantage of the 72hr visa free transit and indulge in a bit of copy shopping.

I moved the TG flight to next day, so now I have a 25 hr transit.

Now if anyone has any tips on where to buy good quality knock offs....
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:17 am

Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to take advantage of the 72hr visa free transit and indulge in a bit of copy shopping.

I moved the TG flight to next day, so now I have a 25 hr transit.

Now if anyone has any tips on where to buy good quality knock offs....
The quality of non-secret knockoffs in Beijing probably won't wow you, but you can still get some pretty decent stuff.

All of the fake markets carry more or less the same products (with the possible exception of the market in Russia town and some of the places that have more of a fake antique focus), so it's really just a matter of what's most convenient to your hotel.

If you tell us where you want to stay, we can offer more specific advice.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

The quality of non-secret knockoffs in Beijing probably won't wow you, but you can still get some pretty decent stuff.

All of the fake markets carry more or less the same products (with the possible exception of the market in Russia town and some of the places that have more of a fake antique focus), so it's really just a matter of what's most convenient to your hotel.

If you tell us where you want to stay, we can offer more specific advice.
At this stage I am looking at Hilton Wangfujing. I wanted to buy a couple of knock off watches & bags as fun gifts for friends.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:05 pm

At this stage I am looking at Hilton Wangfujing. I wanted to buy a couple of knock off watches & bags as fun gifts for friends.
Well for this, probably Hongqiao ("Pearl") Market is your place. You can cab there or walk over to Dongdan Line 5 subway stop, south to Tiantandong stop, market is on east side of road. You'll smell the basement food/seafood when you walk in. Knock-off bags and clothes on the second floor. Lots of decent China souvenirs on the third floor, along with the cheaper pearls. Top floors more expensive pearls/jade/jewelry. Knock off watches mostly on the lower two floors. The Silk Market (Xiushui) by the Yonganli Line 1 subway stop is also feasible but prices are generally higher and IMO merchants more aggressive.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

I thought that the good quality stuff are not sold in these markets, but in other nondescript locations. Any ideas on those?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:37 pm

Thanks for the info.

I thought that the good quality stuff are not sold in these markets, but in other nondescript locations. Any ideas on those?
A grade knockoffs are not typically sold in markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.