Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
First of all, you didn't had to go "through the visa stuff" when you went landside, you simply got a TWOV (transit-without-visa) stamp.

Second: You'll get your passport checked (Chinese authorities are less Laissez-faire than their Malaysian counterparts prior to MH370..) but that's usually rather fast, no need to fill out arrival cards etc.. After than, you'll descend one level, have a security check, and then you're departure airside. I've had those checks without any queue in the past, or with rather significant queue as well (taking 30min both together)

1 hour 50min in perfectly fine for that (assuming your incoming flight is not more than 30min delayed) and you can even make the connection with a delay of up to 1 hour, however I would hurry (walk fast and cut queues with your boarding pass in hand etc.) if your departure is already within 1 hour once you've landed.

And yes, luggage is checked through.

PEK is usually not very complicated to transit, actually I prefer it over quite a few airports by now.

Thanks for the reply!
Old May 4, 2015, 5:17 pm

1:40m connection Domestic to International on T3 terminal

I have an upcoming flight on CA 1506 FOC-PEK , then UA 850 PEK -ORD.
my connection time is 1Hr40Min within T3 terminal. What would you think about this connection time? CA 1506 has 75% ontime performance. thanks.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by BWItraveller
I have an upcoming flight on CA 1506 FOC-PEK , then UA 850 PEK -ORD.
my connection time is 1Hr40Min within T3 terminal. What would you think about this connection time? CA 1506 has 75% ontime performance. thanks.
60-70% chance of making the connection I would say, regarding on the past delay statistics. In case it's less late than 30min, you should be fine, it it's delayed between 30 and 60min it will be mostly upon your "pushing" skills through queues...

If you don't mind some extra time in PEK (rerouting via another airport, or later direct flight, probably both resulting in more miles as bumped up booking classes) I would go for it. Especially if you've status and will have priority etc.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC E35 / Marriott Gold
Air China let me book an 1h30 D-I in T3... Will this connection be possible?

CAN-PEK-YUL-YYZ
CA1310-CA879-AC417

16% on time arrival for CA1310.
Don't know about the on time departure for CA879 - new CA Route.

If I miss the flight, there is a PEK-YYZ direct flight AC32 5h05 later (which is also codeshared on CA)
Will CA be able to book me on it if I misconnect?

I will be flying the PEK-YUL on a Tuesday; next PEK-YUL is a Friday.

Last edited by azhang24; Sep 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:59 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Is there a place to store a carry-on? A friend of mine will be transiting PEK for about 12hrs and wanted to go into the city but didn't want to drag the carry-on around.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by jason8612
Is there a place to store a carry-on? A friend of mine will be transiting PEK for about 12hrs and wanted to go into the city but didn't want to drag the carry-on around.
Absolutely. Left Luggage is available on the nonsecure side of each terminal. Signage directing to same is in Chinese and English.
http://en.bcia.com.cn/server/service...econsign.shtml
I recommend that he place it in the terminal he will be departing PEK from (if his arrival and departure are in different terminals). Cost depends on size of the carry-on ranging from RMB 20-50 per day. He should lock it and not leave valuables inside, take those with him in a daypack. Most Left Luggage is counter service, Terminal 3 has some lockers.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:14 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by jiejie
Absolutely. Left Luggage is available on the nonsecure side of each terminal. Signage directing to same is in Chinese and English.
http://en.bcia.com.cn/server/service...econsign.shtml
I recommend that he place it in the terminal he will be departing PEK from (if his arrival and departure are in different terminals). Cost depends on size of the carry-on ranging from RMB 20-50 per day. He should lock it and not leave valuables inside, take those with him in a daypack. Most Left Luggage is counter service, Terminal 3 has some lockers.
Thanks! I will let him know.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:59 pm

does anyone know if there are transit desks airside in T3 to get boarding passes? flying on separate tickets HKG-PEK on cathay and connecting to PEK-DFW on american with a 2 hour connection time, carry-on bags only, and as EXP/OWE.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:20 pm

I have a through ticketed flight with Air China from Bangkok to Heathrow with a transit in Beijing, however the transit time in Beijing is at the minimum time allowed at that airport of 1 hour, which is barely doable, but add the upcoming Chinese Festivities, I am told I am very unlikely to make that connection. I contacted Air China regarding this and the fact that most onward flights to Heathrow appear fully booked I offered to take an earlier flight to Beijing to alleviate the problem. Communication with Air China has been disjointed, but they appeared to have 'held' a seat on the preceding flight which will give me plenty of time.

What I am unsure about is the status of a 'held' seat. Will they ask me to pay extra when I arrive at Bangkok Airport? or having sold me the ticket with only the limited time is it their responsibility to get me on the connecting flight and my offer to take an earlier flight is good will on my part for which I should not be charged.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
3 hr TPAC to domestic?

Arriving from DFW on AA, looking to clear customs and board CA flight to Xi'an. Is 3 hrs enough assuming carry on only but separate PNR's?

First time in PRC and I've no knowledge of Mandarin, FWIW.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by benzguy80
Arriving from DFW on AA, looking to clear customs and board CA flight to Xi'an. Is 3 hrs enough assuming carry on only but separate PNR's?

First time in PRC and I've no knowledge of Mandarin, FWIW.
Yeah. 3 hours should be fine in that case. (It's the reverse direction that requires a bit more caution.)
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Yeah. 3 hours should be fine in that case. (It's the reverse direction that requires a bit more caution.)
Thanks, moondog! FT'ers have really helped me in the past. kudos

OT, but much time should be allowed at PEK if originating there for int'l flight (ORD)?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by benzguy80
Thanks, moondog! FT'ers have really helped me in the past. kudos

OT, but much time should be allowed at PEK if originating there for int'l flight (ORD)?
If you're actually starting in PEK (and not having a flight into PEK, then another ticket out) then I'd say plan to be at the airport 2.5hrs before departure. The lounge from CA (for C/*G) pax is pretty good and you can pass an hour or so - better to wait there for a bit than to rush through immigration/security.

But it depends during which time of the day you're getting there. During no-rush hour or when taking the airport express, 2hrs will easily be fine. During rush hour, always plan some extra time on top of the anyway increased travel time, "just in case".

If you're flying into PEK on the same day on a different ticket, I'd take quite some hours reserve.

I've done it on 2hrs, but that was borderline crazy.

You'll have to pick your luggage up, and recheck it (often not possible more than 3hrs before your flight) - while that isn't really a big deal, I would simply prefer an overnight connection. Otherwise you'll either be too early (like, having booked 6 hours in between) and just have a few hours at the airport landside or really pray for no delay.

The Hilton and the Langham both are very decent choices, and you'll have zero stress.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:30 am

First timer and coming to the experts for some help navigating through PEK on an upcoming trip. I have been reading some nightmare tales of transferring through PEK, that it's one of the worst airports in the world??? Is this true? In my last 5 years of flying to Southern China bi-yearly I have only flown EVA: LAX-TPE-HKG ... which has been pretty much as organized and tranquil as it gets at least in my traveling experience.

Outbound Air China LAX-PEK-CAN (Guangzhou) - Business class, with US passport and 10y business visa. I'm not so concerned about this leg since arrival at PEK is 15:10 and flight to CAN is 18:00 so this should be enough time.

However the return trip will be Friday on the eve of the Chinese Labor Day weekend CAN-PEK-LAX with a 18:40 arrival (if it's on time, a big if) at PEK and 21:00 flight to LAX. This is the one I would hate to miss.

My questions are;
1. If I'm flying Air China straight through will I need to recheck bags both inbound and outbound journeys?
2. Are the signs clear for queuing at all the checkpoints?
3. Any perks or advances in queues due to having the business visa and/or flying business class?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if any questions, I am not too familiar with the flyertalk lingo yet!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:24 pm
qpr

If you transit through PEK by CA they will check through your bags in both ways (I think you are on 1 ticket?).

Otherwise if you have a seperate domestic ticket from PEK to CAN it depends if this tickets will show up in LAX at check in (I have different experience with that with CA with flights from Germany to China via PEK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.