FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Connecting / airport transit inside PEK Beijing Capital

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jmsssaaannn
No. The layover is 2 hours. ORD -> PEK on AA arrives at 19:25 (flight 187), and then PEK -> ICN on KE leaves at 21:25 (flight 854). I will only have a carry on so hopefully no luggage collection.
That makes sense (I hadn't noticed that the KE flight time also changed with season). At just 2 hours (the minimum connection time exactly) though this is going to be quite tight even only with a carry-on, as you will need to get the KE check-in counter before 20:25.

My fastest time ever from doors-open to taxi rank at T3 is just under 20 minutes - but that was a gate near the immigration hall, midnight arrival and no queue at immigration, shuttle train to T3C just about to leave when I reached it, and no queue at the X-ray luggage check. Note also that if you land on the far runway, it can take 10-15 minutes to reach the gate.

If you can check-in online this will definitely help - I don't know if this is possible though (have never flown KE). There is also an international transfer counter at T3, but it is not always staffed. If your flight is late, then without luggage I would try there first to get boarding pass if needed (and if possible) as then you should have plenty of time to get to T2.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
That makes sense (I hadn't noticed that the KE flight time also changed with season). At just 2 hours (the minimum connection time exactly) though this is going to be quite tight even only with a carry-on, as you will need to get the KE check-in counter before 20:25.

My fastest time ever from doors-open to taxi rank at T3 is just under 20 minutes - but that was a gate near the immigration hall, midnight arrival and no queue at immigration, shuttle train to T3C just about to leave when I reached it, and no queue at the X-ray luggage check. Note also that if you land on the far runway, it can take 10-15 minutes to reach the gate.

If you can check-in online this will definitely help - I don't know if this is possible though (have never flown KE). There is also an international transfer counter at T3, but it is not always staffed. If your flight is late, then without luggage I would try there first to get boarding pass if needed (and if possible) as then you should have plenty of time to get to T2.
I'm almost 100% sure that this won't work with the transfer counter in T3 - they seem to be really inefficent anyway, and then for a T2 airline.. meeeeh! Good chance OP will lose valuable minutes trying to do so, and not succeeding..

Unless OP has RMB on hand, I doubt that the taxi option will be much quicker. (Having to get RMB from an ATM..) - and even with RMB in hand, it goes down to the risk of having to queue for cabs, the taxi driver complaining about the drive to T2 etc (or outright refusing..)

I still say taking the Airport Bus will be most probably the best approach.

From doors open to the Airport Bus, walking fast, should be no more than 15-20min (jump queue at immigration at all costs!) - then 10-20min for the drive over to T2 (10min if the bus immediately takes off, 20min if you've just missed it - in which case you could STILL double-check the taxi option)

If all goes smooth, with a timely arrival (ie, doors open at exactly T-120min) then you can expect to make the connection, ie arriving at the KE checkin with some time to spare before T-60min.

If you're running so tight you're basically not going to make it with the Bus (say, arriving landside T-70min or T-65min) then you could still try a cab.

But if you're landside T-90min, the bus will be just a fine option. Imho most predictable.

If you're (too) tight, cab might be a last resort, otherwise I wouldn't try. Cab drivers (maybe!) will take a 20$/€ bill as payment, if you're really that desperate, arriving at T-65min at the taxi rank or something like that..

In short, hope that your incoming flight opens it's doors very much on time, jump the queue at immigration even if it's short, walk fast (or run..), and all will be good.

Be 20min late with doors open, queue at immigration, walk too slow/don't find your way, and not even 0 queue at the cab rink might help you..
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by GinFizz
There is also an international transfer counter at T3, but it is not always staffed. If your flight is late, then without luggage I would try there first to get boarding pass if needed (and if possible) as then you should have plenty of time to get to T2.
I can guarantee that the transfer counter in T3 will not be able to issue a T2/KE boarding pass, so just skip that by. If online check-in is not feasible for the KE flight, then you'll have to use the Run and Pray method. The main variables that will spell success or doom for this connection are:
1) AA timely flight arrival and deboarding process. The biggest variable.
2) Entry Immigration queue. Definitely use the TWOV queue if it's open and appears to be clicking along quickly.

If those two things line up for you, then likely you'll be on that KE flight. I'd also take the interterminal shuttle bus between T3 and T2 over other methods, it's the most predictable and regular, and doesn't require obtaining or dealing with cash.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Thanks everyone for your help so far!! Do you think there is any chance that the airline will have a system in place to get people making this connection to the KE check in, considering they gave me a ticket with such a short connection?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jmsssaaannn
Thanks everyone for your help so far!! Do you think there is any chance that the airline will have a system in place to get people making this connection to the KE check in, considering they gave me a ticket with such a short connection?
Zero chance for that.

Do as jiejie and myself told you, that's your best bet. Don't be shy to run, jump queues and even shout (should the bus just be in the process of departing)

But as jiejie said, it will mostly depend on the arrival/door open time of your AA flight.

But I wouldn't worry too much. If you miss your connection, you'll be protected, there are plenty of flights to Seoul from PEK next day, and they'll provide you with a hotel.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: various
If your AA flight takes off from ORD on time, then it should get to PEK on time. PEK ATC gets stacked up but normally long hauls coming from North America are low on fuel and do get prioritied in. If you are delayed at the ORD end--the most likely scenario--then assume you'll be late an equal amount into PEK, since due to headwinds, they can't usually make up time in the air. In this event, be proactive before you leave ORD, getting rebooked on the second flight. On some nights, there's a KE flight PEK-ICN at 01:50 arr 05:00. If you're traveling on a day when that's not operating, CZ317 (KE codeshare) flies PEK-GMP (Gimpo, the older airport that's closer to the city) at 08:20 arr 11:30. If you can't get out until next morning, you can press the airline to put you up in a hotel or take matters into your own hands and book something yourself. Unless you had a business meeting scheduled for that first morning in Seoul, any delay shouldn't be earth-shattering since at worst you'd lose a morning in Korea.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Hi all, perusing this thread and Delta's and still have questions for transit.

We we are flying China Eastern (MU) DPS-PEK 8.5hr layover then Delta PEK-DTW all booked on same ticket.

Would love to to go to Mutianyu. In regards to transit when we arrive at PEK, will we need to collect our Checked Baggage or will MU check all the way to Detroit?

We will pick up the 72 hour TWOV visa and then grab a taxi to Mutianyu. Can anyone give some insights into if we need to reclaim luggage? I believe both flights arrive and depart from T2, although I'm not familiar with PEK airport.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:58 pm

I don't know about the luggage but you'll find out on check-in but regarding the taxi to Mutianyu, understand that none of the drivers will speak any English. If you do not speak Mandarin, better have you requirements, like having him wait for you, in writing in Chinese to "negotiate" the deal.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
I don't know about the luggage but you'll find out on check-in but regarding the taxi to Mutianyu, understand that none of the drivers will speak any English. If you do not speak Mandarin, better have you requirements, like having him wait for you, in writing in Chinese to "negotiate" the deal.
He could simply call one of us when he gets in the taxi. Mutianyu and back is a pretty straight forward negotiation.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:17 am

I also suggest either using any of the local FT experts or using one of the companies providing taxi/limo service. You could also use CTRIP or similar to book those services (a bit more pricy, but works well)

What you want to do - a day trip to the Great Wall - is very common, and there are plenty of services to do exactly that (and quite affordable if you think that it will include a driver for a full day, a car, and all other costs.. )
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:59 am

The wealth of information in this topic is impressive.

I will be arriving INT in PEK T3 with HU492 (out of BRU) at 5:50 AM.

I plan on immediately taking a flight to HKG, so I will go for a 24h visa free transit.

How much time should I foresee for a departure in T3 (HX or CZ)?

How much time should I foresee if I would venture in T2 (CA)?

Thank you for your input.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by 336
The wealth of information in this topic is impressive.

I will be arriving INT in PEK T3 with HU492 (out of BRU) at 5:50 AM.

I plan on immediately taking a flight to HKG, so I will go for a 24h visa free transit.

How much time should I foresee for a departure in T3 (HX or CZ)?

How much time should I foresee if I would venture in T2 (CA)?

Thank you for your input.
This kind of flights (early morning arrivals) are rarely delayed, so I'd say planning in a bit of extra time for long/slow immigration queues (happens at this time of the day) won't hurt, but not too much.

I'd say it's quite save to assume you're landside at 7am (assuming you can't check through your luggage, and imho only CA offers airside re-check)

5min from there to checkin counters at T3, and 30min to checkin counters at T2 (10min max waiting time for the bus, 15min for the ride, 5min for walk)

Thus, I'd say any flight departing after 8.30am from T3 and any flight after 9am from T2 should give you enough "piece of mind". Take more extra time as you like, but those departure times seem possible (over 95% to make it) to me.

PS: I think you're mixing up terminals. Skyteam and HU is T1/T2, CA is T3.. but it doesn't really matter much, in fact arriving at T2 is better imho..
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:33 am

Int <=> int t2

Thank you for your response and alertness, as indeed, I mixed up the terminals.

Expected to arrive in T2 with HU, and looking to transfer onto T2 HX (2h) or CZ (2.5h).

Note that we intend to travel without checked baggage.

Other option would be T3, CA.

Thanks for also giving your feedback on T2 transit.

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS
CTU-PEK-IAD connection question

Hi, all -

I'm flying CTU-PEK-IAD (Air China, connecting to UA) and wondered whether just under two hours is sufficient for the domestic to international connection in PEK? Want to leave CTU as late as possible so I have some time in the morning to see the sights in Chengdu. Looks like Air China flight from CTU arrives PEK at 1640 and the United flight to IAD departs at 1825.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by tim iridium
Hi, all -

I'm flying CTU-PEK-IAD (Air China, connecting to UA) and wondered whether just under two hours is sufficient for the domestic to international connection in PEK? Want to leave CTU as late as possible so I have some time in the morning to see the sights in Chengdu. Looks like Air China flight from CTU arrives PEK at 1640 and the United flight to IAD departs at 1825.

Thanks,
Tim
I believe domestic (T3) to international MCT is 120 min. They shouldn't ticket this itinerary, and they shouldn't check you in if on separate tickets.

One problem is that domestic flights to/from PEK are often delayed (perhaps 30% chance). I would definitely not go for a connection under 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.