Quality Tailor in Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 9:16 pm

Thumbs down Bad Experience at Lisa Tailor

Hi I wouldnt recommend Lisa's as their service is poor and the quality of their work is nothing to shout about. Here's my experience:

First of all, when we got there, nobody attended to us. We browsed around the shop for 20mins before my husband decided that they didnt want our business and walked out. I had wanted to try their work upon reading some good reviews and so approached the salesperson for some service. Only then did we get some attention and my husband returned to the shop.

The lady that served us did so without much enthusiasm. She merely stood there while we selected the fabrics. And when my husband asked if he could select the type of collars or specify how he wanted the seam across the back to be done. She pointed to the samples that they had on display and said "its all like that - normal ones, cant change". Because he wanted short-sleeved shirts, he asked abt the pocket. And she quite nonchanlantly replied "all normal, all normal". She didnt even ask if he had wanted a pocket in the first place. It peeved him already but we decided to carry on with the transaction as we have already chosen the fabrics.

When it came to my turn, I had wanted to get some skirts done. She pointed at the range of fabrics and quoted me a hefty 380rmb and said that they were wool/cashmere, hence the price. She refused budge on her price no matter how hard I negotiated. I made a pretty normal pencil skirt. I now know (very painfully) that a skirt of the same wool/cashmere fabric can be made for ~100-120rmb.

She looked pleased when we concluded the paid the deposit. Only then did she give us a smile.

When we returned to the store to pick up the clothes, we were rendered the same poor service. My shirt was loose, I had specified that I wanted a snug fit at the chest and the waist. The skirt was too big at the hips, plus the zipper was badly done. My husband's shirts were too big at the sides and the shoulder seam was way beyond the shoulder. So all the items had to be redone.

I can only say that it cld NOT have been a language problem as we speak mandarin. And it was a good thing that I had only made 1 skirt at that ridiculous price that she charged me and gosh ... the service sucks! Will not recommend Lisa's to anyone.

I will probably give Fei Fei a try next time and post my experience here.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:25 am

Smile apologize

As the shop owner, I must apologize for what happed on you. After I read your comment, my feeling so bad, and I shame on my staff’s misbehavior. I am sorry about this, as owner of this shop I will ask every staff, indagate how did it happen. If it really happened in my store, I will do something to redeem for your lose. If it includes misunderstanding between you and staff, please forgive our mistake. No matter what, I really apologize for your unhappy shopping experience in our shop. Please trust me, it will never happen again. we’ll provide best service as possible as we can.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:40 pm

Update

I went to FeiFei the other day and the shop does look really nice and the staff seems very competent.
What surprised me was the price - 1500rmb for a suit. I thing that is well over the top! If you compare to Susan's Tailor in Yashow (I have had to very nice suits made there for 700rmb each).

Forgot to say that the prices in both cases was for Australian cashmere. Even though FeiFei might be slightly better it still doesn't justify that you are to pay more than the double the price of Susan's tailor.

Is it me or has the prices in FeiFei went up quite a lot??
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:07 pm

I was in Beijing at Alice My Tailor (Sanlitun) and was also quoted an astronomically high 1200rmb for a suit. I'm not sure if that's now the going rate or what, but only after I'd explained I'd previously purchased a suit for considerably less was I able to talk the young lady down. At the end of the day I walked away with 4 shirts and a suit for 1250rmb, quality good not great...
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:21 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
in July 2008 I had two excellent suits made and quickly by tailors on the pedestrian street, Wanjufing which is in the very centre of Beijing.

Prices depend on the quality of the fabric you choose but range from $100 to $600. I chose one inexpensive one and one very top quality one. I am totally pleased with the results and will return there in early Dec 08 to order more.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by heathius

If you want to buy your own suit fabric, the cheapest place is the fabric market in Tianjin. If you have a free day, you can take the train there (takes a little over an hour). If you can't leave Beijing, I recommend Yue Xiu market on ChaoYangMen street. But, be prepared to bargain heavily if you go there. Yue Xiu won't be as cheap as Tianjin, but the price is still reasonable after bargaining and the fabric is good (but I don't recommend the tailoring service at Yue Xiu). I would avoid getting your fabric at the market in WangFuJing. This place is loaded with tourists, the prices are horrific, and the tailoring quality is questionable.

The price will vary depending on how much you spend on fabric. An average man takes about 4 meters of fabric to make a suit (safely). For nice 180 thread count Australian wool, the fabric should cost about 65 yuan (US$8) per meter in Tianjin, or about 85 yuan (US$11) per meter at Yue Xiu. Tailoring cost is usually about 400 yuan for a decent tailor. In total, you should pay between 600-800 yuan (US$75-$100) per suit depending on the fabric quality and how good you are at bargaining.

The tailors can make any suit you want, with any features. They are also very good at copying suits from pictures, so if you have a picture of the suit you want, bring it with you. They can also arrange to have the suits delivered to your hotel.
Hi I am heading to beijing and wondered if anyone knows the address of the fabric market in tianjin, I cant seem to find it on google.

I keep getting tradekey and china trade websites as all of the results but nothing useful on the location or even name of the markets.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 5:00 pm Reason: Close quote for readability
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:57 pm

Tailor review

Like others in this forum I am looking for a tailor I can go to regularly when in Beijing. Assuming others are in the same boat I am posting this review.

After reading several recommendations and reviews I went to Lisa's Tailor Shop in Sanlitun (Building 3.3). Service was quick, efficient and English was no problem at all.

Suits were quoted at 1000RMB, shirts 100RMB, spare pants 350RMB. I ordered a simple black suit and a single shirt. I was looking for quality and didn't bargain at this point and gave them plenty of time to do the job (over 10 days). Came back for the fitting and ordered another 2 shirts because they were doing a good job.

Final product was unfortunately only average for the suit:
- the overall finish was below par (seams not even or flat, no buttonholes on lapels or sleeve buttons which were also out of line, cotton threads hanging out, collar lining is pilling, internal pant seams were rough etc),
- the trouser half lining had a peculiar feel (as if a ridge had been sewn or ironed up the front), and
- despite the flaps there were no pockets on the jacket (I thought they had only been only sewn down temporarily to keep the line, but no - they are just decorative).

It was a cheap suit produced to a price and feels like it. I won't go back for the others I had planned.

The shirts were very good with the first shirt excellent however, the sleeves on the second two were far too long (I should have tried them on but assumed they were the same as the first).

Hope this helps. Any other reviews of tailors I could try next time?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andrew_r
L
It was a cheap suit produced to a price and feels like it. I won't go back for the others I had planned.
Like I've said previously, I'm quite happy with the suits I've gotten from Lisa's (i.e. they don't resemble the product you described; I just checked my closet,... pockets and all are fully functional). That having been said, your data point is clearly more recent then mine.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:50 pm

Question Suit in Beijing

Hi Guys,

I will be in Beijing in a week, does anyone have some updated information on quality tailors in Beijing. I'm looking to get 2 suits made. Any advice when i go to a tailor in Beijing? What should i bargain on, any tips?

Thank you for any help.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by BinBJ
Hi I wouldnt recommend Lisa's as their service is poor and the quality of their work is nothing to shout about. Here's my experience:

First of all, when we got there, nobody attended to us. We browsed around the shop for 20mins before my husband decided that they didnt want our business and walked out. I had wanted to try their work upon reading some good reviews and so approached the salesperson for some service. Only then did we get some attention and my husband returned to the shop.

The lady that served us did so without much enthusiasm. She merely stood there while we selected the fabrics. And when my husband asked if he could select the type of collars or specify how he wanted the seam across the back to be done. She pointed to the samples that they had on display and said "its all like that - normal ones, cant change". Because he wanted short-sleeved shirts, he asked abt the pocket. And she quite nonchanlantly replied "all normal, all normal". She didnt even ask if he had wanted a pocket in the first place. It peeved him already but we decided to carry on with the transaction as we have already chosen the fabrics.

When it came to my turn, I had wanted to get some skirts done. She pointed at the range of fabrics and quoted me a hefty 380rmb and said that they were wool/cashmere, hence the price. She refused budge on her price no matter how hard I negotiated. I made a pretty normal pencil skirt. I now know (very painfully) that a skirt of the same wool/cashmere fabric can be made for ~100-120rmb.

She looked pleased when we concluded the paid the deposit. Only then did she give us a smile.

When we returned to the store to pick up the clothes, we were rendered the same poor service. My shirt was loose, I had specified that I wanted a snug fit at the chest and the waist. The skirt was too big at the hips, plus the zipper was badly done. My husband's shirts were too big at the sides and the shoulder seam was way beyond the shoulder. So all the items had to be redone.

I can only say that it cld NOT have been a language problem as we speak mandarin. And it was a good thing that I had only made 1 skirt at that ridiculous price that she charged me and gosh ... the service sucks! Will not recommend Lisa's to anyone.

I will probably give Fei Fei a try next time and post my experience here.
Lisa and her salespeople were very nice, but her suits and especially her shirts were less than stellar. The suit was of terrible craftmanship and the shirts lasted less than 5 wears
Old May 7, 2010, 4:07 am

Certainly the best tailor in Beijing

I warmly recommend D&J tailor.
I am a customer for already 5 years and I am everytime satisfied.
They made 2 and 3 pieces suits for me. They do coat and evening dress as well.
Miss June is the tailor. She comes from a family where everybody worked in the clothe tailoring field.

She openned a new shop in GuangHua Road, at the basement of the brand new SOHO building. You can get their contact details on their website: http://www.tailorbeijing.com

They have a great collection of fabric to choose from, they have the lastest style catalog for helping you find the style that fit you the most. The shop is really confortable, and June is simply the most kind person on Earth.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by haojie
Miss June is the tailor. She comes from a family where everybody worked in the clothe tailoring field.

She openned a new shop in GuangHua Road, at the basement of the brand new SOHO building. You can get their contact details on their website: http://www.tailorbeijing.com

They have a great collection of fabric to choose from, they have the lastest style catalog for helping you find the style that fit you the most. The shop is really confortable, and June is simply the most kind person on Earth.
I suspect this is probably an advertisement by the owner, but I'd ask the mods to leave the post up anyway. I live next door to this building in Beijing, and while on a trip out of China right now, will check them out and give them a try when get back to Beijing in June. I'll report back here on how it comes out.

As for Lisa, I think over the past 3 years she has become so popular that too much of the work is farmed out to too many people, with quality and workmanship coming back all over the map from excellent to mediocre. So it's a bit of a crapshoot on who will be making your particular garment there.

Last edited by jiejie; May 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm
Old May 10, 2010, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
I suspect this is probably an advertisement by the owner, but I'd ask the mods to leave the post up anyway. I live next door to this building in Beijing, and while on a trip out of China right now, will check them out and give them a try when get back to Beijing in June. I'll report back here on how it comes out.

As for Lisa, I think over the past 3 years she has become so popular that too much of the work is farmed out to too many people, with quality and workmanship coming back all over the map from excellent to mediocre. So it's a bit of a crapshoot on who will be making your particular garment there.
Sorry, I am not the owner, just a regular customer happy to tell how satisfied I am. I invite you to go to June's shop. I confirm you the address: SOHO building, at the basement, shop B017. Let me know your impression on her shop. Here is her phone number: 135 2249 0981.
Old May 31, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by jiejie

Have you had a chance to check out this shop? If yes, does their ad live up to their claims?
Old May 31, 2010, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by haojie

hmmm

Last edited by l etoile; May 1, 2011 at 3:25 am Reason: removed now-deleted spam post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.