Reload this Page >

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:16 am

I have three suits, a dozen shirts, and tons of ties from WW Chan that I purchased over the past seven years. Peter Chan is a perfectionist, and one heck of a nice guy. But WW Chan is not where you will buy your custom-tailored suit for $300. The last suit I purchased was over $1,000, and that was pretty much the going rate for nice fabric (Zegna). Four years have passed since then, and I expect prices have risen with changes in the exchange rate - perhaps has high as $1500 today. Of course, you are getting a suit that would cost twice that amount - or more - in Europe.

If you go with WW Chan, give them time to do quality work. This is not a 'fit one day, suit the next' kind of place.

There's a thread over on styleforum.net about Shanghai bespoke tailors; lots of discussion comparing WW Chan to Daves - most people favoring WW Chan.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:37 am

Too soon to give feedback on quality etc, but before I forget the financials, paid 3500RMB for 4 suits and 250RMB for a dress shirt.

Was quoted 150RMB for regular shirts and 'best quality' fabric suits were quoted at 1500RMB but did not get any of these.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by geosat
Too soon to give feedback on quality etc, but before I forget the financials, paid 3500RMB for 4 suits and 250RMB for a dress shirt.

Was quoted 150RMB for regular shirts and 'best quality' fabric suits were quoted at 1500RMB but did not get any of these.
Can I ask where? And I presume you mean 3500 RMB/suit, not for all four.

tb
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trueblu
Can I ask where? And I presume you mean 3500 RMB/suit, not for all four.

tb
In Beijing? 3500 is almost surely the price for all four.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by moondog
In Beijing? 3500 is almost surely the price for all four.
Although you are probably correct, there are plenty of tailors that charge 5k+ for a suit with decent material. And 850RMB/suit really puts into question what kind of material was used, since if it was even half-way decent fabric, the tailor would be making a loss on it at that price.

tb
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Got a suit made at Dave the Tailor Beijing for RMB 5,000. Fabric is great but workmanship is terrible. Had to have it altered three times! Their designs are still from 10 years ago. Not what one would expect at that price.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by marcwdebeer
Got a suit made at Dave the Tailor Beijing for RMB 5,000. Fabric is great but workmanship is terrible. Had to have it altered three times! Their designs are still from 10 years ago. Not what one would expect at that price.
This is your own fault; you should bring them your own designs. Incidentally, I would never pay more than y1500 for a suit made in Beijing (I'm happy with my suits, but they are not worth more than this).
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by igopogo
Thanks to this thread, we visited "Sunny" at Wendy and had a great experience. I found that while they didn't have the same number of different shirt fabrics as Alice, the fabrics that they did have were stronger. At first I was quoted RMB 150, but I went to Alice and got a quote of RMB 110 each for three, came back to Wendy and they matched. The shirts were done in two days, but I think they can be done overnight if you ask.
Just an update. One year later, and many wearings, still happy with Sunny's work (or, I should say, that of his peeps). I'm really trying to justify a trip back to Beijing Somehow I don't think it's worth it just for a few more shirts.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
On the advice of a colleague, I've recently started using "Lisa's Tailor Shop" in the 3.3 Mall and have been pleased with the product. Shirts cost 100 a pop and suits go for 1000-1800, depending on fabric quality. Last month, I brought one of my Paul Smith suits there and asked them to copy it with double stitching; they did a bang-up job. I don't doubt that the places in the CBD are better, but I'm pretty sure that a big portion of the price difference goes towards paying their sky high rents.
It says it all:

The Chinese are great copiers. Give them a suit, pick the material and you will get a carbon copy, as least at the average, above average tailor.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:36 am

Alice Tailor in Yashow

I needed to get the lining of my favourite jacket repaired (sadly, after 10-15+ years, the suiting material is finally wearing thin and I will need to bin it soon -- but not yet!). I was in SLT so decided to pop into Alice at Yashow. Whilst there, thought I would have a shirt made.

I was quoted 120 RMB for the shirt, and 30 RMB for the repair, which I thought was more than reasonable, and didn't try to bargain down.

I've worn the shirt a couple of times -- the fit is very good actually, and the tailoring is "not bad". But the quality of the fabric is poor. Since the shirt is brand new, it looks fine for now, but I'm not sure how it will hold up -- I typically wear my favourite shirts for 10+ years and I just can't see this happening. These are just off the peg shirts, but good quality (and usually bought in a sale).

Of course, the price is a fraction of a 'made to measure' shirt in the west (I don't think it is true bespoke). A good, but expensive compromise may be to bring one's own cloth, but that can be a real pain I would guess and the price would probably be the same as a good quality off-the-peg shirt bought in US/UK.

tb
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:12 am

Hi, bumping this thread up for more recent feedback.

Hubs is hoping to get a suit, some work pants and possibly a wool jacket/coat done in Beijing when we head there in Oct. What would be the going rate for these items at the tailors you mentioned?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SQ319
Hubs is hoping to get a suit, some work pants and possibly a wool jacket/coat done in Beijing when we head there in Oct. What would be the going rate for these items at the tailors you mentioned?
The price for making a suit in 3rd floor of Ya Shi is about 600 rmb + material..
-the material cost will vary a lot, quality and to some extent quanity.

-BTW, the first week of Oct. is a holiday week in china, & most good tailor's are gone that week.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:04 pm

Thanks for your update! We're aware of the long National Day Holiday and how everyone seems to be travelling during that period, hence am only arriving in BJ on the 12th onwards. Hopefully the tailors would be back in town.

I'm a bit confused about the names of this place. Is Yashow = Yaxiu = Ya Shi = 雅秀?? Or are they 2 different places?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:36 pm

Thanks for your update! We're aware of the long National Day Holiday and how everyone seems to be travelling during that period, hence am only arriving in BJ on the 12th onwards. Hopefully the tailors would be back in town.

I'm a bit confused about the names of this place. Is Yashow = Yaxiu = Ya Shi = 雅秀?? Or are they 2 different places?
The text I bolded appears to be a typo.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium

As MD said, typo; Ya Shi is a taylor shop in Yashow market, # 58 Gongti north road, Chaoyang district.

Last edited by Jiatong; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.