Reload this Page >

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by moondog
hmmm
I tried D&J. I am happy with their work. A lot better than the highly rated Taylor on 10 in BKK where I had some stuff made which fell appart after 3 years. The cloth they sell is better than most of the stuff you get a Yashow but also a lot more expensive. I paid 3000 for a standard quality two piece suit and 320 for their best quality shirt I think. Got a little discount for getting 10 shirts. As I said, quality of fabric and workmanship is good, their cuts are a bit oldfashioned and it took 3 fittings. So if you have the time and know exactly what you want it's worth giving them a shot.

You have to specifically ask for mother of pearl buttons, removable collar stays and other extras.

Last edited by flo0816; Nov 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by flo0816
I tried D&J. I am happy with their work.
Hi, getting ready to travel back to Beijing and get some shirts made, I looked through the past posts and perhaps missed something -- D&J, where is it and what is the full name of the establishment?
Many thanks
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:41 am

Bumping this thread back up as I will be in Beijing next week looking to have a few suits made.
Does anyone have any recent experience with any of the tailors mentioned in this thread?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TheSpecialMan
Bumping this thread back up as I will be in Beijing next week looking to have a few suits made.
Does anyone have any recent experience with any of the tailors mentioned in this thread?
Did you find a decent tailor?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA 1k, SW A-list
I'll bump this thread again too.

I will be traveling to Beijing in a month or so, and I'm hoping to try out D&J for a couple bespoke suits and custom shirts.

Has anyone been there recently and have an idea of their prices? (maybe we'll get a couple more currency devaluations before I leave!)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Here is a tailor in the Sanlitun Soho complex (basement of Plaza Building 5) I used for alterations only, but came highly recommended from local expat friends (and his name card says he's done work for high level Chinese celebs etc, so take that as you will). Work came back good, was fast, and reasonable price.

Kevin Lee
李健军

Soho Plaza 5-B1-530
Sanlitun Chayang District Beijing
+86-136-8336-3913
email: [email protected]
Hours: 11-8pm

Uncertain of English ability...but his name card is half in English.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:29 am

We're heading to Beijing for 5 full days to buy custom suits both ladies and men's and shirts, and blazers. Here's what I've read about the customer tailors on this forum so far. We are staying at the Hilton Beijing Wangfujing so want something relatively close to the hotel, easy to get to and on the higher end. We don't mind paying more for the best quality fabric and workmanship. Can anyone with more experience buying bespoke clothing from these shops comment on the best option? And, Are these folks still in business? The threads I pulled this from were quite old.

Wendy Li aka "Wendy Tailor".
3rd floor of the Ya Show / Ya Xiu market in Sanlitun

Shirts about 150 rmb each
1 Suit (Premium fabric): 1200rmb
1 Blazer (Prem. Fabric): 700 rmb

FeiFei tailor shop (Ask for the shop owner Xiao Fei)
35-1-103 Xin Yuan Jie, Beijing (near Capital Mansion and Kunlun Hotel)

Yue Xiu market on ChaoYangMen street

Kevin Lee
李健军
Soho Plaza 5-B1-530
+86-136-8336-3913
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by flo0816
I tried D&J. I am happy with their work. A lot better than the highly rated Taylor on 10 in BKK where I had some stuff made which fell appart after 3 years. The cloth they sell is better than most of the stuff you get a Yashow but also a lot more expensive. I paid 3000 for a standard quality two piece suit and 320 for their best quality shirt I think. Got a little discount for getting 10 shirts. As I said, quality of fabric and workmanship is good, their cuts are a bit oldfashioned and it took 3 fittings. So if you have the time and know exactly what you want it's worth giving them a shot.

You have to specifically ask for mother of pearl buttons, removable collar stays and other extras.
Where is D&J located? We're headed there in November. Is this it:

D&J Fine Tailoring  
Custom Clothing Store
Located in: 光华路SOHO
Address: Chaoyang, Beijing, China, 100022
Phone:+86 10 6798 6525
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cdnblue
Where is D&J located? We're headed there in November. Is this it:

D&J Fine Tailoring  
Custom Clothing Store
Located in: 光华路SOHO
Address: Chaoyang, Beijing, China, 100022
Phone:+86 10 6798 6525
You posted the answer yourself
光华路SOHO
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
We're heading to Beijing for 5 full days to buy custom suits both ladies and men's and shirts, and blazers. Here's what I've read about the customer tailors on this forum so far. We are staying at the Hilton Beijing Wangfujing so want something relatively close to the hotel, easy to get to and on the higher end. We don't mind paying more for the best quality fabric and workmanship. Can anyone with more experience buying bespoke clothing from these shops comment on the best option? And, Are these folks still in business? The threads I pulled this from were quite old.

Wendy Li aka "Wendy Tailor".
3rd floor of the Ya Show / Ya Xiu market in Sanlitun

Shirts about 150 rmb each
1 Suit (Premium fabric): 1200rmb
1 Blazer (Prem. Fabric): 700 rmb

FeiFei tailor shop (Ask for the shop owner Xiao Fei)
35-1-103 Xin Yuan Jie, Beijing (near Capital Mansion and Kunlun Hotel)

Yue Xiu market on ChaoYangMen street

Kevin Lee
李健军
Soho Plaza 5-B1-530
+86-136-8336-3913
I haven't had any suits made in BJ: I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I have had some shirts made (at the various Sanlitun tailors): the fit is excellent. The cloth/ other materials is not great, and the craftsmanship is so so. I think prices have gone up considerably since the posts you quote. I can't recall what I paid, but I think it was over 200RMB/ shirt -- still a decent price (but not outrageous bargain) for a regular work shirt that fits very well. My really nice shirts (off the rack) from aeons ago are wearing out, and I haven't found a solution in BJ for them -- I'll either go off the rack again and take a hit on fit, or maybe venture in HK, but prices will be at least double (and maybe more) than 200RMB.

For suits, I just think a) the cloths available are not that great at all, b) you won't get properly fitted for a real "bespoke" suit (i.e. handcut) in a short time-frame and c) the craftsmanship will be OK, but the suit will show its wear after a couple of years. It will be better than off the rack at a mid-range store, and similar price, but won't be truly "luxury". I have some suits that I've worn for over 1-2 decades and they still look good: only one was bespoke (and cost an arm and a leg, had it made in England), the others high-end off the rack gifts with some tailoring. I can't find anything comparable here. I'm tempted to buy some decent cloth myself, in England say, and see what the tailored product looks like here...but it's a bit of a hassle, and won't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

I would imagine prices of suits are 50%+ higher (at the same stores) as quoted above now.

Others may have better experiences to share.

tb
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trueblu
I can't recall what I paid, but I think it was over 200RMB/ shirt -- still a decent price (but not outrageous bargain) for a regular work shirt that fits very well.
While not directly relevant to this thread, the current market rate for shirts in Shanghai is Y120 (and, this includes a second type of fabric for cuffs/collar).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by moondog
While not directly relevant to this thread, the current market rate for shirts in Shanghai is Y120 (and, this includes a second type of fabric for cuffs/collar).
Can you also comment on current rates for suits, ladies pants, ladies blazers and skirts? Assume high end wool and fabrics, horn buttons, metal zippers and generally high end finishes. Just an idea would be helpful.

I plan to meet with Lisa on our arrival day and will negotiate a package deal for what you see below. I figure doing everything with one tailor will give us some buying power. I already reached out to Lisa directly on email and told her what we want to have made and when we will be arriving. She is expecting us and will be there when we arrive.

Mens
2 suits $200 each
2 sport jackets $100 each
5 shirts $25 each
2 pants $50 each
1 tuxedo probably $250 - $300 each

Total $1,125

Ladies
2 suits $200
1 pencil skirt $100
2 wide cuffed pant $50
3 shirts $25

D&J was also highly recommended on here so I'm uncertain as to which one to actually choose. I think I'll stick with Lisa unless someone has a strong feeling one way or another and has experienced the work and pricing of both.

**revising this comment to add the USD pricing I've gathered from earlier posts and other threads. Want to determine a good baseline to work with in my negotiations.***

Last edited by Cdnblue; Nov 2, 2015 at 3:17 pm Reason: Adding USD pricing
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:27 am

Can you also comment on current rates for suits, ladies pants, ladies blazers and skirts? Assume high end wool and fabrics, horn buttons, metal zippers and generally high end finishes. Just an idea would be helpful.

I plan to meet with Lisa on our arrival day and will negotiate a package deal for what you see below. I figure doing everything with one tailor will give us some buying power. I already reached out to Lisa directly on email and told her what we want to have made and when we will be arriving. She is expecting us and will be there when we arrive.

Mens
2 suits $200 each
2 sport jackets $100 each
5 shirts $25 each
2 pants $50 each
1 tuxedo probably $250 - $300 each

Total $1,125

Ladies
2 suits $200
1 pencil skirt $100
2 wide cuffed pant $50
3 shirts $25

D&J was also highly recommended on here so I'm uncertain as to which one to actually choose. I think I'll stick with Lisa unless someone has a strong feeling one way or another and has experienced the work and pricing of both.

**revising this comment to add the USD pricing I've gathered from earlier posts and other threads. Want to determine a good baseline to work with in my negotiations.***
I really doubt you'll get this for the prices you quote, but no matter how it turns out, do post on this thread. If you have a good experience, I'd be tempted to follow your lead and get a jacket or a suit made here. I just don't think I'm going to get the suit I want or need....

I can only say for the shirts that I had made, the buttons are really cheap plastic buttons. The holes for collar stiffeners are uneven (so that I don't bother using them, since some don't fit -- this isn't a big deal for me though), but the fit is rather good, and I'm happy with them for the price paid (since it is still 5-10x cheaper than tailored shirts in the UK, but perhaps only 4x worse). To be fair, I didn't come with a requirement for classy buttons etc, I wanted to check on the craftsmanship first.

But wishing you the best of luck and do post back!

tb
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Hi all -

Just back from Beijing and happy to report we purchased a truck load full of excellent quality men's and ladies custom made clothes from J&H Tailors just around the corner from the Canadian Embassy. I did extensive research and settled on Jenny Zhaoss to do our work for a few reasons. One, she works solely with expats and speaks English very, very well. She has a long history of quality work from multiple credible sources, and she is a hip and classic dresser herself meaning she understands style and fit for the upper end Western markets. She is not inexpensive by Beijing standards but she is very good and worth every penny we spent.

We arrived on Wednesday Nov 25th met with Jenny in the morning. She had everything done by Sunday November 30th. Jenny's husband is a custom fabric cutter so they work in partnership. She does send out the work to be sewn to others but she must manage quality control very carefully because the shirts and suits rival any $175 mens shirt we would buy here in the USA and the suits are comparable to $1800 - $3000 corneliani or zegna suits we can buy here in Chicago.

All shirts were the highest quality cotton fabric, suits were 120 wools and coats were wool and 50% cashmere fabrics. My ladies clothes were wool pants, 120 wool for suits and a special shiny wool for evening jacket. Here's what we spent for each item in RMB.

400 RMB for men's shirt

Mens
2 two piece suits - 2,600
2 sport jackets - 1,800
6 shirts (1) a tuxedo shirt - 400
2 pants - can't remember
1 black tuxedo - 2,600
2 wool and cashmere over coats - 2,600

Ladies
1 pant suit - 2,600
1 wide cuffed pant -
2 shirts - 400 RMB
1 shiny material evening jacket - 2,400

The total amount USD spent on all these clothes was $3,100. We estimated these purchases for the same items and same quality here in Chicago to be approximately $12,000 - $15,000 (with some of the items being purchased on sale).

All suits are lined with rayon not poly and buttons accessories of the highest quality like horn or the highest end synthetic materials. Button-holes are not hand-sewn because there was not enough time but they look clean and straight. All suits have sweat guards and cuff guards for the trousers.

Here is Jenny's information:
[email protected]
+86 185 0008 6728

She works exclusively through a referral network. One day prior to our meeting with here a guy staying the Ritz had come in through another client of hers and was having a suite made. And, while we were there an Irish lawyer came in for a fitting for a custom made wool and cashmere coat. The lawyer, who lives in Beijing, asked me how I found Jenny because she is not well known by anyone outside the network. The lawyer told me she several "misses" with other tailors before finding Jenny and that now Jenny does all her work.

If anyone would like more information please feel free to PM me and I'll share pictures of the actual suits if wish.

I hope others find this helpful.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:17 am

Hi all -

Just back from Beijing and happy to report we purchased a truck load full of excellent quality men's and ladies custom made clothes from J&H Tailors just around the corner from the Canadian Embassy. I did extensive research and settled on Jenny Zhaoss to do our work for a few reasons. One, she works solely with expats and speaks English very, very well. She has a long history of quality work from multiple credible sources, and she is a hip and classic dresser herself meaning she understands style and fit for the upper end Western markets. She is not inexpensive by Beijing standards but she is very good and worth every penny we spent.

We arrived on Wednesday Nov 25th met with Jenny in the morning. She had everything done by Sunday November 30th. Jenny's husband is a custom fabric cutter so they work in partnership. She does send out the work to be sewn to others but she must manage quality control very carefully because the shirts and suits rival any $175 mens shirt we would buy here in the USA and the suits are comparable to $1800 - $3000 corneliani or zegna suits we can buy here in Chicago.

All shirts were the highest quality cotton fabric, suits were 120 wools and coats were wool and 50% cashmere fabrics. My ladies clothes were wool pants, 120 wool for suits and a special shiny wool for evening jacket. Here's what we spent for each item in RMB.

400 RMB for men's shirt

Mens
2 two piece suits - 2,600
2 sport jackets - 1,800
6 shirts (1) a tuxedo shirt - 400
2 pants - can't remember
1 black tuxedo - 2,600
2 wool and cashmere over coats - 2,600

Ladies
1 pant suit - 2,600
1 wide cuffed pant -
2 shirts - 400 RMB
1 shiny material evening jacket - 2,400

The total amount USD spent on all these clothes was $3,100. We estimated these purchases for the same items and same quality here in Chicago to be approximately $12,000 - $15,000 (with some of the items being purchased on sale).

All suits are lined with rayon not poly and buttons accessories of the highest quality like horn or the highest end synthetic materials. Button-holes are not hand-sewn because there was not enough time but they look clean and straight. All suits have sweat guards and cuff guards for the trousers.

Here is Jenny's information:
[email protected]
+86 185 0008 6728

She works exclusively through a referral network. One day prior to our meeting with here a guy staying the Ritz had come in through another client of hers and was having a suite made. And, while we were there an Irish lawyer came in for a fitting for a custom made wool and cashmere coat. The lawyer, who lives in Beijing, asked me how I found Jenny because she is not well known by anyone outside the network. The lawyer told me she several "misses" with other tailors before finding Jenny and that now Jenny does all her work.

If anyone would like more information please feel free to PM me and I'll share pictures of the actual suits if wish.

I hope others find this helpful.
This is very helpful, and a glowing endorsement, congratulations on your purchase. Please do post back in about a year about how the materials are holding up (out of interest). I am very tempted to check her out on this recommendation, at least for some shirts in the first instance.

Can I just double check the prices: you said you spent $3.1k, but the sums you list (with some minor omissions) come to ~15400 RMB, i.e. 4000 RMB short of that total. Given the other prices listed, that seems excessive for three trousers.

What is the standard price for a single men's shirt -- I'm assuming you got a massive bulk discount? And for a three piece suit?

thanks!

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.