Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality Tailor in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
Thanks Cdnblue.

You certainly give a ringing endorsement. I too really believe in developing relationships with owner-operators, so am happy to pay above rock-bottom market prices for a commensurate increase in quality and a trusting (both ways) relationship.

I shall certainly check out Jenny on your recommendations....although I don't think I'll order 4 suits up-front like you did! For one thing, my wife would insist I throw out 4 suits, and I'm not much good at throwing away stuff (which is why I rarely buy stuff).

tb
Be sure to tell Jenny that Rhea & Alex sent you. We'd like to get credit for a referral as we'll look to buy more from here in the future. She's located across the street from the Canadian Embassy in what looks like a little strip mall. Her sign is J&H Tailor in bright yellow. Her shop is small but nicely decorated and tidy with pretty wall papering. Please tell her we say hello and that we love our clothes!

Cheers!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriot and SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Bump

Bumping this up yet again. Traveling to Beijing in March. Any recent feedback on prices and good tailoring that won’t break the bank. Jenny sounds expensive to me , even if the value is good.
Thabjd in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:31 am

I think something from Suit Supply would end up much better than any of the quick turnaround tailors in Beijing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Sounds to me like you did not bargain very hard. While I did not get anything done very recently, these price are more than double what I paid. Never accept the first price that they offer. Or gthe second....
With respect to other previous comments, Ya Xiu closed and re-opened under a totally different concept. Forget this place for a suite.
Regarding the quality. I had a few suits made and have been wearing them for several years now. Not quite as good as my late Italian tailor back home but I paid 1400RMB for a suit with 3 pairs of pants while my Italian guy was charging $2000 for a suit with 2 pairs of pants. If you are not happy with the fit or whatever else, keep giving it back for alterations until you are happy. You obviously need time for this.
When I took friends to tailors, I found that the result was best when you'd give them a suit that you like for measures. More precise than taking your measurements and quicker. I always had my suits made or alterations made overnight.
So while i dont shop in Beijing i have a great tailor in Shenzhen. I have been using him for years on my travels. I negotiated pricing the first time i was there but since then haven't really pushed him too much. Its more about the relationship. I am still getting a GREAT deal vs US pricing. He throws stuff in all the time (last time i was there he threw in an amazing dress for my wife). I know he's making ok money off me-- and i'm ok with that. Every now and then I need a favor and to knock something down a little bit and he will. But the prices i'm getting are well worth it and the quality is great. The one time something was bad quality (it tore my first time wearing it) he replaced it the next time i was there and threw in an extra sports jacket.

Could i get it cheaper by shopping around and playing the game? sure-- but instead i have a guy who takes real good care of me and isnt trying to scam me.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Any more recent experiences or recommendations for shirts in Beijing or Shanghai? Are the tailors in Beijing similar/better/worse price/quality to what you can get in Bangkok? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.