Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
hmmm
+1
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:46 am

hm... agreed. nice first post...

I was thinking of getting a few suits made before leaving PEK for good in a few weeks. Maybe I'll check this place out during the next several weeks in addition to those at 雅秀 yaxiu and silk market.

Originally Posted by RCyyz
+1

Last edited by l etoile; May 1, 2011 at 3:25 am Reason: removed now-deleted spam post
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Please do.

My family's experience in April 2010 at Lisa's was, in general, not good. Then again, my mom brought her own material and just wanted to pay for labor (can someone say - decreasing their margin? The saleswoman was not very happy about this.

Let's just say that the process involved, a long argument whether or not they (Lisa's) were allowed to make a suit that wasn't cloth from their own store (the lady finally conceded after we agreed that if they messed up there was nothing that could be done and paid 50% up front), a nice fitting suit, (but a junky plastic zipper on the pants), missed guidelines that we had in writing (dad wanted cuffs on the pants and there were none - Saturday night), missed deadlines (we were flying out Sunday - the next day in the afternoon and had been promised the suit at noon).

After letting her search around for a minute or two and figuring out that the suit had not made it (and her calling someone to confirm where it was) the disagreeable saleswoman groaned and then told us to go to their "factory" to pick it up. She did not offer any kind of discount/compensation or even any real apology.

I let her have it (I had let her and my mom argue in English, with my very few and minor interventions in English in all the previous sessions). In Mandarin (without yelling), I patiently ripped into her for writing down specifications then not following them, missing deadlines and in general, messing up all around. Of course some of this was expected; it is China, a developing country. But her attitude really made it that much worse.

I continued by telling her there was no way I would go to some "factory" to pick up a suit when we had a flight in 3ish hours given potential traffic (ended up not being a problem) and that she would simply have to figure it out. I told her again, that it wasn't our fault. We had the paperwork, showed up on time, as directed and paid on time and without argument. She was the one who made promises.

Then she said the factory was on the way to the airport and that she would give me a phone number and an address. I told her no dice. I don't know the place, the cabbie might not, why doesn't she come with us? She refused point blank and kept insisting on my mom and I going alone, and this went back and forth for a few minutes. Finally another member of the staff came forward and he'd accompany us.

On top of it all we had paid half the price of the suit as a deposit and I refused to hand over the rest of the dough until we saw the suit.

This guy was in general, a really nice guy. We got to talking in the cab and we had the usual discussion about life in China versus other developed countries at which point he started grumbling about how people in developed countries were happy along with a number of other interesting comments. The cabbie seemed to agree and the two of them literally took off on a great conversation that encompassed: bureaucracy, uneven enforcement, the one child policy, culture, happiness, pollution, migration and a host of other things. It had to be one of the most entertaining conversations I have had in a long time.

We get to near the "factory" which was indeed en route to the airport and the guy has directw the cabby into a middle/upper middle class apartment complex. The cabbie did not know the exact location and there is no way I would have been able to find it in less than 10 minutes without asking numerous people.

The guy directs the cabbie to one of the buildings, gets out, runs into the building and comes back out a minute later with the suit. We looked at it, nodded our heads and gave him the rest of the money.

His parting words while smiling were "give us a week next time instead of 4 days, could you?" I shook his hand and we left

My mom's comment whilst laughing: "this same kind of thing happens in India too, only we know people who can get things done and take care of this stuff. I guess since we don't in China..." (FWIW - we're of Indian origin)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Have you had a chance to check out this shop? If yes, does their ad live up to their claims?
I won't be back home in Beijing for another couple of weeks, will check out the shop after that and ponder whether to try them out on something simple.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:08 am

Checked out D&J

I recently went to Beijing for a course on International Management at Peking Univ. I had 10 days to get some suits made. I, along with 2 of my classmates choose D&J tailors for our suits. Ding (the D of D&J) was very patient in the shop during our measuring and fabric selection. We spent 2 hours in the shop without an appointment. Afterwords, Ding volunteered to bring our suits to the hotel for fitting. Because of the great service, we passed word around and several more of the students decided to order suits from Ding. Overall we ended up ordering 12 suits for men, 1 suit for a woman, and a bunch of shirts. All suits were provided on time and everyone was happy.

Ding was responsive, flexible and willing to do what ever was necessary to make sure we were satisfied with our suits. He even gave each of us a free tie.

I highly recommend.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Bumping this thread up. Anyone got a current recommendation for a good Beijing tailor?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:17 am

am i better off having suit made in beijing or hongkong?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I'd say come to HK. There's a thread somewhere in the HK section of FT that should be of help to you. Happy Suiting
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Executive
Wendy Tailor

I've had very good luck with Wendy Li aka "Wendy Tailor".

Her store is located on the 3rd floor of the Ya Show / Ya Xiu market in Sanlitun.

I've had suits and shirts made on multiple occasions. Their work is quite good, if not excellent. Prices here to other places can be good to excellent (depending on your negotiating style).

Since all prices here are negotiable, it helps to share what you paid. Others may have gotten even better pricing than this. I don't bargain too hard, because I get other benefits including transportation of the finished items to my hotel (saving me time and $ for travel back and forth).

Here's what I purchased.

2 Shirts: 300rmb - 150 each
(I guess labor is getting more expensive, Wendy wouldn't budge on these, as a friend also found on his last visit.)

1 Suit (Premium fabric): 1200rmb
(Wendy is now getting her hands on better fabrics; depending on your style / wallet might be worth the extra $. A different fabric would have been 900-1000 rmb)

1 Blazer (Prem. Fabric): 700 rmb

3 Pairs Dress Pants: 1000 rmb / 333 each

In all, still a great value, however with the prices creeping up, getting custom clothing here is not the bargain it once was (suits for 700rmb, shirts for 80 RMB).

If you value custom-made clothing, its still the cheapest route. If you don't mind off the rack, many good mail-order companies making well fitting shirts from premium fabrics out of the UK worth considering.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I joke around with my gf that I've been seeing two women on the side in my frequent trips to beijing over the past four years, Alice and Wendy (both on the 3rd floor of Ya Xiu market in sanlitun).

I second the post above that Wendy Tailor is pretty quality in terms of suits. Shirt fabric selection is not as strong as others. They tend to haggle for higher prices than others, despite being a repeat customer. But the suits have been pretty good quality.

On the shirts route, I have almost exclusively stuck with Alice My Tailor (aside from a couple escapades with Wendy), since I have always been pleased and the fabric selection is pretty good. Last week, I returned to them for two suits. I am very pleased with the results. However, I only gave them the bare minimum of time (3 days) and they forgot to sew a couple of button holes, which I'll now have to have added by a tailor in the US. I also had them copy a women's shirt on a couple occasions and the fit has been perfect. Shirts have now increased from 100 to 120rmb (non-negotiable as far as I can tell, and since they don't give you BS highball initial quotes like some other vendors in the market, I'm cool with it). Suits I bargained down to 800rmb x 2 suits (though they always want to charge me slightly more for fabric for my size). Initial quote was 1200rmb for one. I got a reasonable discount for buying a ton of shirts too I believe. It can also help to wear one of their shirts into the shop to show you're a repeat customer and also serve as a guide to get the measurements.

I also think the time of year matters in terms of schedule and price. You can get quicker turnaround time in the non-summer seasons, and perhaps bargain for better prices. Definitely avoid Chinese New Year. The tailoring staff are likely migrant workers and head home to their villages for about a month at that time (late Jan or early Feb).

In general, the quality of fabric and tailoring may not match the best tailors of HK (or beijing or shanghai for that matter), but they'll last you a handful of years and for the price you can't argue too much.

My main beef is they put a stupid tag on the suit that says nothing but an email address. Looks kinda cheap and odd. I keep forgetting to request something else.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm interested in checking out the tailoring scene in BJ. I love nice shirts, but have never indulged myself by getting tailored ones -- just far too expensive in the UK.

The price of 100-120 RMB sounds almost too good to be true: what sort of cotton is it? Do the shirts have tails, as per formal shirts in the UK. Are double cuffs extra? What material are buttons made of?

In the medium term, also looking for tailored suits/jackets. Again, I would want surgeon's cuffs, horn buttons, metal zips etc. I would prefer to use English or Italian cloth: super 100 etc (not too fine). Do the above tailors provide such service? At what ball-park cost?

I wouldn't mind checking out Alice Tailor for a shirt if it's decent quality cotton. Do I need to have her chinese name or will she be easy to spot on the 3rd floor of yashow?

thanks,

tb
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:27 pm

Thanks to this thread, we visited "Sunny" at Wendy and had a great experience. I found that while they didn't have the same number of different shirt fabrics as Alice, the fabrics that they did have were stronger. At first I was quoted RMB 150, but I went to Alice and got a quote of RMB 110 each for three, came back to Wendy and they matched. The shirts were done in two days, but I think they can be done overnight if you ask.

Other members in my party didn't seem to want to haggle, so they probably paid 50% too much, but ended up with some very nicely tailored wool suits.

Sad that I walked away from the RMB 200 "Ferragamo" shoes downstairs. Stupid pride wanted to hold out for 150, and clearly they weren't going there. What a fun experience at this market, though. I love that I can choose either "Bally" or "Armani" on identical leather bags, or a sweater with "Prada" knitted in and a Polo hose stitched in.

Tip #1: If you have a lot of time to kill in Beijing, go here on two separate days...once with no money, so you can truly appreciate how low the prices can go at the knock-off shops when you say "no."

Tip #2: Be ready to take public transport, the cabbies are few and far between, and very choosy about destinations. On our third trip we had to take a bus to the metro after waiting for a cab. In the future this will probably be our first option, as it was painless and faster.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by igopogo
Sad that I walked away from the RMB 200 "Ferragamo" shoes downstairs. Stupid pride wanted to hold out for 150
I actually think you made the right call (e.g. let's say you got 3 months usable life out of them, whereas 5 years for the real thing; that means your effective price is y3,000). Well made shoes also feel much better than fakes.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Any recommendations in Shanghai?
No response to this yet!

I tried Taipan Lan on Maoming Nanlu. Not bad, but I'd like something better. Cloth ok, but not Egyptian cotton as they claimed. Pants needed to be returned for slight refit.

I hear WW Chan down the street is good. A Chinese friend went there and they refused to bargain, while Taipan Lan reduced the price considerably. I take this as a positive for WW Chan, but maybe this is a naive western view.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by igolfchip
I've had very good luck with Wendy Li aka "Wendy Tailor".

Her store is located on the 3rd floor of the Ya Show / Ya Xiu market in Sanlitun.

I've had suits and shirts made on multiple occasions. Their work is quite good, if not excellent. Prices here to other places can be good to excellent (depending on your negotiating style).

Here's what I purchased.

2 Shirts: 300rmb - 150 each
(I guess labor is getting more expensive, Wendy wouldn't budge on these, as a friend also found on his last visit.)

1 Suit (Premium fabric): 1200rmb
(Wendy is now getting her hands on better fabrics; depending on your style / wallet might be worth the extra $. A different fabric would have been 900-1000 rmb)

1 Blazer (Prem. Fabric): 700 rmb
I finally made it to her store in Sanlitum. & did buy 3 shirts for 500 rmb, She said the 150rmb per shirt was last years price. Also, my tall 4XL size may of been a little extra on the needed fabric for the shirts.

Wish she had more fabric selection for a summer blazer. Thanks for the post.

Oh, BTW, on the 2nd floor i did buy a 'genuine imitation' polo shirt, (4XL) for 50 rmb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.