Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tauphi
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/w...pan-covid.html

Japan’s Secret to Taming the Coronavirus: Peer Pressure

The country has never mandated masks or vaccinations, but it’s evaded the worst of Covid, thanks to a fear of public shaming and the “self restraint police.”
A new trend I have observed is entire compounds being locked down until ALL residents get a PCR test (inside the compound). We're usually only talking about ~3 hours here, so it's not really a big deal, but I'm mentioning it in response to your "Peer Pressure" article because snitching appears (in my eyes, at least) to be a factor that the rule-makers are actively exploiting. Basically, "Jimmie in 317 didn't do his test yet. Let's track him down and bring him there, so the rest of us can leave." One of my friends was 2 hours late to work today because of this. Her boss couldn't really chastise her because he understands that we're living in a constant state of flux.

travelinmanS Since I know in person attendance is pretty important in your company, you should mentally prepare yourself for last-minute stuff like this upon your return. Whether it's you or one of your colleagues, it can honestly happen in an instant (e.g. while you are taking your morning shower).

Last edited by moondog; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by MW147
As far as I know there were no visas available for buyers. But it is possible there were special exceptions.
I was in China late 2021 and attended a major interntational industry fair (similar to Caton Fair) but not related to import/export. Xi and Li made keynote speeches via video.

There was no special visa granted to any of the foreign vvisitors.
2023 is still months away and my experience in late 2021 was during the period when Covid was largely under control in China, so it is not an apple-to-apple comparison.

It is not just focusing on the visa situation, airlines also need to provide more flight options, and other considerations such as as pre-travel requiremetns of testings and green code etc. all have to be part of the solution.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...accine-mandate

Better late than never I suppose.

- City to limit entry to raft public venues based on vaccination
- Authorities want to boost vaccination rate among the elderly

Beijing residents wanting to enter a raft of public places will need to show proof of vaccination from Monday, the first time China has deployed a vaccine mandate, as the city rushes to quash a new outbreak caused by a more infectious subvariant.

The city will require live performances, entertainment venues such as movie theaters, museums and gyms, as well as training and tutoring locations, to restrict entry to people who are vaccinated, Li Ang, deputy director at the Beijing Municipal Health Commission, told reporters at a briefing Wednesday.

The requirement will also apply to medical staff, people working in community service operations, home furnishing operators, express delivery providers and conference attendees. They’ll need to have received a booster shot to continue as normal, Li said. There will be exemptions for people who don’t qualify for vaccination.

Officials have turned to a mandate, which has been deployed in countries across the world, as it rushes to stamp out virus transmission. Authorities are also keen to boost vaccination rates, especially for people aged 60 or older whose reluctance around immunization has become a key factor in keeping China stuck in its strict Covid Zero approach.

Elderly people living in care homes and anyone wanting to visit an entertainment venue were urged to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Care-home staff and visitors should get booster shots, as should tourists, Li said. The city’s health code -- the system that controls people’s movements -- will be updated to show vaccination status more prominently, he said.

The city will maintain a requirement for people to get tested at least every three days to enter all public venues.

Beijing’s elderly vaccination rate is above 80%, while Shanghai lags behind at 70%. Nearly 90% of the country’s total 1.4 billion population are fully vaccinated with homegrown shots.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by gudugan
That mandate has been rescinded due to public pressure. No easy way to enforce it at the moment.
moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Palal
That mandate has been rescinded due to public pressure. No easy way to enforce it at the moment.
The only people I know of who aren't vaxxed here are senior citizens who are STRONGLY opposed. In this society, officials are usually loath to mess with seniors (e.g. far greater transgression than clubbing pets to death).
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
The only people I know of who aren't vaxxed here are senior citizens who are STRONGLY opposed. In this society, officials are usually loath to mess with seniors (e.g. far greater transgression than clubbing pets to death).
The problem of enforcement is that if you've been vaxxed outside Beijing, it won't show up on your Beijing Health Kit. Not to mention anyone who got vaccinated abroad (they said they would consider those valid as well) who is currently not able to get that on the Health Kit either.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Palal
The problem of enforcement is that if you've been vaxxed outside Beijing, it won't show up on your Beijing Health Kit. Not to mention anyone who got vaccinated abroad (they said they would consider those valid as well) who is currently not able to get that on the Health Kit either.
These technical issues are addressable if they care.
joesk likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
These technical issues are addressable if they care.
I’m sure the government that locked you and me down in Shanghai, without preparing proper food access at the lockdown’s beginning, doesn’t care very much about this issue.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:08 pm

From today's Shanghai Covid report, we have the very first case of a traveller who legally entered HK and then flew to China.

病例1为比利时籍,在香港旅行,自香港出发,于2022年7月9日抵达上海浦东国际机场,入关后即被集中隔离观察 ,其间出现症状。综合流行病学史、临床症状、实验室检测和影像学检查结果等,诊断为确诊病例。

Case 1 is of Belgian nationality, was travelling in Hong Kong. They flew from HK, and arrived at PVG on 9/July/2022.

HK opened up to non-residents on 1 May, and it took more than two months to record the first positive case of a non-resident who made it to China.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:36 pm

I don't think "first positive case" in a good wording in such context
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:28 pm

Hope all provinces drop it down to 7 days of hotel quarantine for entering the country. Two years ago I went through 14 days of misery in what is arguably the worst hotel in Zhengzhou (because Air China cancelled the direct route to PEK and sent us to Zhengzhou instead), and I had to PAY about $500 for the privilege of staying there (couldn't pick the hotel I was sent to), and the quarantine room rate was much higher than the normal room rate I checked on trip.com. There was a roach infestation in the bathroom (other rooms reported roaches too), everything in the room was dirty (nasty carpeted floors), no amenities, AC didn't work, wifi was terrible, no "view" to speak of at all, and the air pollution was punishing (though not the fault of the hotel)... at least the 3 meals a day weren't bad. My colleagues who managed to fly directly into Beijing got put into hotel rooms that were at least clean and didn't have a pest problem. One of them even got a a nice big suite. I also saw my friend who entered Singapore and quarantined for 14 nights at the f**king Shangri La Sentosa Resort and only paid about $2000 for a nice ... room, 3 meals a day, and had a beachfront view with a balcony that she was allowed to use.I had wondered why the local government would commandeer a hotel in such poor condition for their centralized hotel quarantine program...maybe the owner had some friends in the Party, or maybe Zhengzhou just sucks.

After 14 nights being pissed off and living in less than desirable hotel conditions, I "checked out" of the hotel in the morning of my 15th day and told them the hotel is not sanitary due to the roach infestation. Actually, we were allowed to leave at midnight after the 14th night, and I saw in the quarantine group chat that some guests were leaving immediately to the JW Marriott Zhengzhou because they hated their time in quarantine so much and couldn't stand one more sleep in the hotel. Yet the JW staff gave them a hassle even though they got the quarantine completion certificates and negative PRC test. In the case for the rest of us who didn't immediately jump ship, Air China had a bus for us leaving to the Zhengzhou airport at 7 AM...where we would wait around for a 5 PM flight to Beijing... no thank you. I left for BJ via HSR in the early morning, and enjoyed an excellent and affordable business class train journey. Then I chose to spend 7 nights at the St Regis BJ for "health monitoring" (not quarantined, it was an additional requirement for me in my situ.) and to regain sanity that was stolen away from me by the 郑州大酒店 (Zhengzhou Grand Hotel). Good riddance.
YariGuy, joesk and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any update in terms of all the measures current impose by Chinese embassy and consultes prior taking flights to China will be relaxed soon or if it has been relaxed (or reduced)?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigdog2
Hope all provinces drop it down to 7 days of hotel quarantine for entering the country. Two years ago I went through 14 days of misery in what is arguably the worst hotel in Zhengzhou (because Air China cancelled the direct route to PEK and sent us to Zhengzhou instead), and I had to PAY about $500 for the privilege of staying there (couldn't pick the hotel I was sent to), and the quarantine room rate was much higher than the normal room rate I checked on trip.com. There was a roach infestation in the bathroom (other rooms reported roaches too), everything in the room was dirty (nasty carpeted floors), no amenities, AC didn't work, wifi was terrible, no "view" to speak of at all, and the air pollution was punishing (though not the fault of the hotel)... at least the 3 meals a day weren't bad. My colleagues who managed to fly directly into Beijing got put into hotel rooms that were at least clean and didn't have a pest problem. One of them even got a a nice big suite. I also saw my friend who entered Singapore and quarantined for 14 nights at the f**king Shangri La Sentosa Resort and only paid about $2000 for a nice ... room, 3 meals a day, and had a beachfront view with a balcony that she was allowed to use.I had wondered why the local government would commandeer a hotel in such poor condition for their centralized hotel quarantine program...maybe the owner had some friends in the Party, or maybe Zhengzhou just sucks.

After 14 nights being pissed off and living in less than desirable hotel conditions, I "checked out" of the hotel in the morning of my 15th day and told them the hotel is not sanitary due to the roach infestation. Actually, we were allowed to leave at midnight after the 14th night, and I saw in the quarantine group chat that some guests were leaving immediately to the JW Marriott Zhengzhou because they hated their time in quarantine so much and couldn't stand one more sleep in the hotel. Yet the JW staff gave them a hassle even though they got the quarantine completion certificates and negative PRC test. In the case for the rest of us who didn't immediately jump ship, Air China had a bus for us leaving to the Zhengzhou airport at 7 AM...where we would wait around for a 5 PM flight to Beijing... no thank you. I left for BJ via HSR in the early morning, and enjoyed an excellent and affordable business class train journey. Then I chose to spend 7 nights at the St Regis BJ for "health monitoring" (not quarantined, it was an additional requirement for me in my situ.) and to regain sanity that was stolen away from me by the 郑州大酒店 (Zhengzhou Grand Hotel). Good riddance.
-you knew there was no way in hell for you to go to Beijing
-this doesn't matter because your Beijing hotel would have been just as bad
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Any update in terms of all the measures current impose by Chinese embassy and consultes prior taking flights to China will be relaxed soon or if it has been relaxed (or reduced)?
The measures were relaxed a bit at the beginning of July. Just 2 PCR tests need to be taken, one 48 hours and one 24 hours before your flight. Still difficult to get visas and there is still a quarantine. It’s not worth it to go to China unless you have some real pressing need.
moondog, UA_Flyer, joesk and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It's actually possible to get a Q visa now without needing a provincial invitation letter or an exceptional circumstance. Single entry, valid ~3 months from the date of issuance. 2 PCR tests required prior to your flight. Transfers now allowed. Your actual mileage may vary.
UA_Flyer and joesk like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.