Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
It's like Mainland citizens acquiring foreign nationaity and not cancelling their Hukous and Chinese passports - can the other government find out?
Someone will find out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...ibility_crisis
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tauphi
It'll depend how deep the Yankee White search goes. jamar is not an obvious dual national - he is a natural born citizen of the United States, and his parents are now either Green Card or US Citizens. Catching they were not US citizens at the time of his birth (and therefore Jamar may still have claim to being Chinese) is rather corner case.

The Australian parliamentarians were born overseas, so they were pretty obvious to catch.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:15 pm

But in Lamb's case, both parents already had permanent residency at the time of birth:

"In 2005, the parents immigrated to Canada under the skilled worker category and were issued permanent resident cards by the Canadian authority. "

"As mentioned above, the applicant was born during the time when the parents were residing in Canada as permanent residents."
"Permanent resident" of Canada - it seems to work like "Permanent resident" of Australia https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...verseas-travel - has no permanence like ILR in the UK or ROA in HK. For Australia "permanent resident", if you aren't here for 5 years, you lose it.

Canadian and Australian "permanent resident" indicates no time limit on their stay in Canada/Australia. But, if they're not there (like Lamb's parents), they lose it.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 30, 2023 at 8:36 pm
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:30 pm

根据您提供的情况,按照《国籍法》第五条之规定,您孩子出生时,您已取得澳大利亚永久居留权,孩子出生 即具有澳大利亚国籍,不具有中国国籍。鉴此,您的孩子无法办理中华人民共和国旅行证
Oh OK, that's news. So someone on an Australian "permanent resident" visa (e.g. Subclass 801 for my wife) is treated differently from their (rough) US equivalent (e.g. K-3 + I-512 Advance Parole Summer Holidays... ).

This seems like a very substance over form exercise.

(P.S. that also means HK courts are consistent with NIA)

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 1, 2023 at 12:47 am
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by percysmith
It'll depend how deep the Yankee White search goes. jamar is not an obvious dual national - he is a natural born citizen of the United States, and his parents are now either Green Card or US Citizens. Catching they were not US citizens at the time of his birth (and therefore Jamar may still have claim to being Chinese) is rather corner case.
This and the fact that my passport has already had multiple Chinese visas on it due to the previous policy (or maybe more accurately, previous interpretations of the law) and that my parents have never applied for a CTD for me in the past would indicate that I couldn't be expected to know (and I still don't know for sure) I had that claim, is the way I see it. Going into politics or anything requiring a security clearance is off the table but there are certain other things where a potential claim that only arose due to changing interpretations of past law might slip by (basically, cases where having Chinese citizenship as well might invite additional questions but isn't an automatic "no").

Now I wonder how many other people are also revisiting this due to past assumptions (that dual citizenship wasn't possible or wasn't possible past age 18 and choosing to use your foreign passport and getting visas was seen as "making a choice").
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:56 am

If you want to eliminate this risk, you'd have to formally renounce your Chinese nationality.
Well, quite some countries force you to renounce your citizenship if you take up another one. Not THAT many countries allow dual citizenship, and even for those that due, quite some stringent rules apply.

Two countries in the world even have the audacy to tax you if you're living abroad. One is God's own country, Eritrea, the other is the failed states of "America". Or the other way around, I tend to mix them up.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Not THAT many countries allow dual citizenship, and even for those that due, quite some stringent rules apply.
It's not as uncommon/difficult as you make it out to be. I have quadruple citizenship.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thread closed pending moderator review.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.