Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Yeah, good point. I've had a terrible track-record with flights to/from Shanghai due to significant delays. Maybe fly into PVG the night before?
If the airport hotel is still open at PVG I’d definitely do that. Wouldn’t want to risk leaving the airport grounds though at the moment. What time is the NZ flight? If it’s an evening flight I’d just take an early morning flight to PVG same day. Don’t think the skies around shanghai are too crowded these days so delays should be minimal.
narvik and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If the airport hotel is still open at PVG I’d definitely do that. Wouldn’t want to risk leaving the airport grounds though at the moment. What time is the NZ flight? If it’s an evening flight I’d just take an early morning flight to PVG same day. Don’t think the skies around shanghai are too crowded these days so delays should be minimal.
Damn, another good point!
Going to ask you for any future travel advice from now on.

.....I think I am terribly out of practice!

P.S. NZ flight is 2:15pm. Have an early morning flight booked now PEK-PVG. Will continue to keep other options open though, just in case...
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Just a public service announcement for anyone who is considering coming over to China for work or a critical business trip in the near future. Do not come. I say that as a long term expat who generally loves living in China.

Until China changes their zero Covid policy there is no way I would recommend anyone come here minus a family emergency. The job you think is great, the money you think you’ll make, it isn’t worth it.

The line of people heading for the exits can only be getting longer after this stuff. It’s a shame.
This x1000.

It’s become bipolar because there are some expats with full blown Stockholm syndrome lying to themselves and others about this being an acceptable way to live.
joesk, ftrichard and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just a public service announcement for anyone who is considering coming over to China for work or a critical business trip in the near future. Do not come. I say that as a long term expat who generally loves living in China.

Until China changes their zero Covid policy there is no way I would recommend anyone come here minus a family emergency. The job you think is great, the money you think you’ll make, it isn’t worth it.

The line of people heading for the exits can only be getting longer after this stuff. It’s a shame.
Same as HK. I always thought if we're having an expat and emigrant exodus (second brain drain), so must Mainland.
ftrichard and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles
Good luck getting out of shanghai.
Well, I managed to escape Shanghai this morning, but for the past couple of days it was looking very doubtful I would. There was no hassle entering Hongqiao station, a cursory look at my PCR test report, the test was taken on thursday morning, a flash of a screenshot of my green code and I was in...In the station I sat watching as cancelled train followed cancelled train on the departure board. In fact 14 of the 15 trains scheduled before mine came up as red were cancelled...luckily G1956 came up blue and the train is now just pulling into Hefei and under 6 hours from Handan, where my wife has been told I will be met by two government officials and taken to a hotel for 14, but maybe 7, days....Happy days....
YariGuy, kb1992, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:42 am

So, here are a few pictures of my new quarrantine hotel in Handan......

uanj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks pretty sweet….
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Looks pretty sweet….
Originally Posted by steveb1955
Well, I managed to escape Shanghai this morning, but for the past couple of days it was looking very doubtful I would. There was no hassle entering Hongqiao station, a cursory look at my PCR test report, the test was taken on thursday morning, a flash of a screenshot of my green code and I was in...In the station I sat watching as cancelled train followed cancelled train on the departure board. In fact 14 of the 15 trains scheduled before mine came up as red were cancelled...luckily G1956 came up blue and the train is now just pulling into Hefei and under 6 hours from Handan, where my wife has been told I will be met by two government officials and taken to a hotel for 14, but maybe 7, days....Happy days....
Luxury accommodation in Handan.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:12 am

You get what you pay for
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by steveb1955
So, here are a few pictures of my new quarrantine hotel in Handan......
Can your wife drop off things for you? Like a clean drinking glass?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Can your wife drop off things for you? Like a clean drinking glass?
Yeah, she has dropped off a few things, plastic drinking cups, bowls and most importantly a big box of kelloggs cornflakes......hopefully tomorrow she will remember the milk....
uanj and joesk like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You get what you pay for
Even at the 70cny a night they are asking for I think I'm being ripped off.....
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The government has now taken the absolutely insane decision to lock down Shanghai in 2 parts. Tonight until April 1 for Pudong and April 1 until April 5 for Puxi.

All in a quest to knock out a virus for which they say 98% of people who get it are asymptomatic.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:57 am

The government has now taken the absolutely insane decision to lock down Shanghai in 2 parts. Tonight until April 1 for Pudong and April 1 until April 5 for Puxi.

All in a quest to knock out a virus for which they say 98% of people who get it are asymptomatic.
Yeah, you all know I've been supportive of the 0-covid-strategy in the past and found it way superior to that of other countries (just like the one in NZ), but the last few months aren't a good show for the PRC and it might get much worse if they keep it that way. Failure to adjust a strategy isn't the best approach.

Singapore shows the world (or better said: Asia) how it's done. NZ as well.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
The amusing thing is how they said recently they weren’t going to lock down. Now they’re changing their mind as fast as the HK government!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.