Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
China has a 90% vaccination rate. Omicron is not as lethal as the original Wuhan version. We will have to see if they choose zero Covid and accept economic decline or pursue the Singapore strategy going forward.
The vaccination rate is very low for the elderly.
tauphi likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
The vaccination rate is very low for the elderly.
Surely a country that is willing to lock down its showcase city could have also found a way to force its elderly citizens to take the vaccine.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Surely a country that is willing to lock down its showcase city could have also found a way to force its elderly citizens to take the vaccine.
What vaccine? My friend in SH said she still can't get Pfizer, which is why she isn't interested in being vaccinated. If they're willing to throw every last tool they have at trying to stop this virus, why don't they throw the best vaccines at it too?
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
What vaccine? My friend in SH said she still can't get Pfizer, which is why she isn't interested in being vaccinated. If they're willing to throw every last tool they have at trying to stop this virus, why don't they throw the best vaccines at it too?
Sinopharm and Sinovac seem to do ok against death from Covid which is the main goal.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
Reports of the Swiss flight to Shanghai was cancelled today 20 minutes before departure, leaving the mostly Chinese passengers from the UK stranded within the airport.
Ouch. Considering, as long as they don't have a Schengen Visa, they can't even take another connection form Zürich through another Schengen hub.

I thought China only allowed for pax to take direct flights, though?

I'm really feeling sorry for those stranded in ZRH. At least there is a Non-Schengen transit hotel, albeit a basic one.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
If you can choose between some reasonable and zero protection, most people will take the reasonable protection. If your friend wants "the best or nothing", good luck to her. I won't have pity with people with her attitude.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:56 am

Not sure about getting vaccinated, but my 92-year-old grandmother (who worked for Xinhua Bookstore) says they were withholding her retirement pensions and other social/government benefits if she didn't get tested.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
....I thought China only allowed for pax to take direct flights, though?....
If there are no direct flights from your country you are/were allowed one transfer. For my return, two weeks ago, my flights were London - Helsinki - Shanghai....
uanj and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"China has recently pivoted to a more targeted approach to dealing with flareups as part of President Xi Jinping's dual goals of seeking to eliminate the virus while minimizing the economic and social impacts of the Covid Zero strategy. But the rapid rise in cases in Shanghai underscores the limitations of such measures in the face of highly transmissible omicron train...

...The financial hub reported about 3,500 infections Sunday, according to a CCTV report, overtaking Jilin as the nation's biggest Covid hot spot."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-for-march-26
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:21 am

China is acting unbelievably foolish in response to the Omnicron strain of the virus. In the end the CCP will lose against Omnicron and looking at news reports, it looks like Chinese people will suffer.
kb1992 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by narvik
UA just issued a TRAVEL WAIVER for Shanghai PVG from March 28 to April 6.
Anyone know what's going on with PVG, i.e. current status?

On FlightAware page for PVG arrival/departure flight status, there are many reductions in passenger flights

Last edited by joesk; Mar 29, 2022 at 6:35 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia...micron-2573281

"Only 19.7 per cent of people aged over 80 in China have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster as of Mar 17, and just 50.7 per cent of that age group have completed their primary vaccinations"

My understanding is that initially, they were not letting older people use the Chinese vaccines, because they were not tested on the older population. This led to older people not wishing to be vaccinated.
Loren Pechtel and percysmith like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
China also won’t let you switch vaccine. If you got one of the even more useless non approved ones even over a year ago, you can’t even switch to the slightly less useless sinovac or sinopharm vaccines. And I don’t think they’ve really even pushed for boosters regardless.

I suspect china’s population is about as vulnerable as you could possibly be to covid in 2022.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Sinopharm and Sinovac seem to do ok against death from Covid which is the main goal.
My wife was reading an article last week (I'm not sure what source, but most of the stuff she reads is in Chinese and I can't read it myself anyway) that said Pfizer's efficacy against Omicron was ~60-70%, while Sinopharm/Sinovac were < 1% (against infection, not severe disease). So if your goal is to actually keep case counts down...

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you can choose between some reasonable and zero protection, most people will take the reasonable protection. If your friend wants "the best or nothing", good luck to her. I won't have pity with people with her attitude.
The problem isn't my friend, it's the idiots who won't approve Pfizer/Fosun. I'm actually surprised that the mRNA vaccines have done as well as they have, as I'd have expected inactivated virus vaccines to do better, but data's data.

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
China also won’t let you switch vaccine. If you got one of the even more useless non approved ones even over a year ago, you can’t even switch to the slightly less useless sinovac or sinopharm vaccines.
Well if that's the case, my friend has an even better reason to be a vaccine holdout. She's either going to get Pfizer in SH or she's going to leave the PRC to get Pfizer.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by narvik
UA just issued a TRAVEL WAIVER for Shanghai PVG from March 28 to April 6.
Anyone know what's going on with PVG, i.e. current status?
I suspect that it's going to get ugly in Shanghai. Some of these flights would get canceled.

My friend booked April 7 PVG-SFO, and April 11 as backup. Let's see how things go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.