Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old May 23, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
yes, but no hotel would accept me. if I get out of my Q hotel, I can't return.

So, I'll stay at my prison for another night.
Best to stay where you are; IMO. Better to be in a known place, than face the unknown.
Marriott hotels accepting +7 guests were already difficult to find back in February this year....I can only imagine how much more difficult it is now.

Good luck!
joesk likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by uanj
I really wish you luck. Your base asumption is that "plenty of places" in China will be and remain free of covid in the months to come. Might be worth re-examining that premise.

The recent variants have popped up in Shenzhen, Shenyang, Shanghai and Beijing despite all the best efforts at containment. As they say in the securities industry, recent performance is no indicator of future performance. Maybe things will get better, but maybe things will get worse. It is not inconceivable that you will find yourself in a city where their version of lockdown allows no escape, especially the smaller cities with no international flights. Please be careful, there is a small but not neglible chance you will find yourself in a Wuhan style lockdown in a city even less prepared to deal with it.

A lot of people in China tell me that "this is it", once Shanghai is cleared everything will be fine. Of course that's what we want and everyone thought that after Wuhan, then Ruili (the border town with the Myanmar crossing), then Manzhouli, then Shenzhen, Shenyang and Shanghai. But what I see is a pattern, the big cities have a difficult time dealing with it and smaller cities do much worse. And there is no (dare I say) scientific reason to predict that Shanghai will be the last. Man, I certainly hope so, but I see no medical or sceintific reason to think it necessarily has to be the last.

We are routing for you, but be careful in your choices and be prepared to move on quickly. Your strategy is to outrun the virus and lockdowns, quarantine and travel restrictions as they get imposed. But you know very well how that can happen with little or no warning. So I wish you safe and healthy travels, and also lots of luck! Keep us posted!
Thank you so much. Appreciated.

Oh, I don't worry about any of the lockdowns. One, I avoid major cities like Beijing Shanghai Shenzhen etc. Too frequently positive cases occur. Two, I don't expect to leave China earlier than I planed. I hold a ticket PVG-SFO-EWR on September 4 and fully expect that I'll fly that ticket. I prefer small cities so lack of international flights to escape is not relevant to me.

One most important factor: connections, connections. I have connections in almost every city I plan to visit. I am confident that I will be taken good care of. For example, my trip from Q hotel to HQ railway station tomorrow: I have a courtesy car with government permit and a driver. My Q hotel in Shanghai is perhaps the best among all Q hotels.

I have a list of a dozen places for this trip: Hangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Lijiang, Shangri-La, Guiyang, Nanjing, Changzhou, Fuzhou, Changsha, Wuhan. Will stay a week in each city. If any city has a star (meaning: middle level COVID), I will not travel there. I will be alert and ready to move quickly to another place if my current city has reported a single case.

I love challenge and am confident that I will outrun the virus and lockdowns. Almost everyone suggested that I abandon this trip, but so far I am enjoying it.

My final 7 days of Q will be in Hangzhou. I should get a very nice Q hotel and lot of care from my friends there. Already I have received multiple invitations for lavish dinners after my release on May 31. :-)

Will report back.

Originally Posted by narvik
Best to stay where you are; IMO. Better to be in a known place, than face the unknown.
Marriott hotels accepting +7 guests were already difficult to find back in February this year....I can only imagine how much more difficult it is now.

Good luck!
Thank you!

Well, so far I have encountered no difficulty other than some crappy Q hotel food.

When you have friends everywhere you go, you have no worry. I look forward to finishing my next Q period, which is shortest among all Chinese cities for folks from Shanghai.
uanj, ExpatExp, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I think this got missed and I kept forgetting about it.

Notice for China-bound Passengers (Updated May 17, 2022)_Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

Specifically you don't have to do the pre-departure PCR or IgM 7 days before boarding or self isolate for 7 days. Only need 2x PCR 48hr before travel.
Same thing was announced for Canada and UK

??????????????????????
Notice on new requirements before boarding
plunet likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan

Notice for China-bound Passengers (Updated May 17, 2022)_Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America

Specifically you don't have to do the pre-departure PCR or IgM 7 days before boarding or self isolate for 7 days. Only need 2x PCR 48hr before travel.

??????????????????????
A move in the right direction. A real game changer would be removal of flight capacity limits (i.e., reinstate LAX-PVG) as well as softening quarantine requirements of course.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
A move in the right direction. A real game changer would be removal of flight capacity limits (i.e., reinstate LAX-PVG) as well as softening quarantine requirements of course.
Quarantine rules have already been loosened I think. I'm not 100% sure, but I think most locations are 10+7 for foreign arrivals. Beijing is 7+7 as of last few days.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Lifetime UA Silver
Originally Posted by gudugan

??????????????????????
It is even better for SFO departures, only need 2x PCR 24 hours before travel plus antigen test.

Notice on Application of Health Code for China-bound Passengers (Updated May 20, 2022)

Can do all three tests in the same lab visit.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shanghai without crowds of foreign tourists and with light traffic could indeed be very pleasant.
Hong Kong was sort of like that in Q1 2020. I went there twice and I can't recall a time when TST had that few people. I actually had elbow room!
Old May 24, 2022, 2:11 am

So they've literally finally taken the exit road to "living with covid", but won't admit it.

Well, I can life with that.. guess they finally realized killing the (global) economy from a mutated virus that's now no longer that dangerous isn't worth it.. hope it gets relaxed even more soon..
Old May 24, 2022, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
So they've literally finally taken the exit road to "living with covid", but won't admit it.

Well, I can life with that.. guess they finally realized killing the (global) economy from a mutated virus that's now no longer that dangerous isn't worth it.. hope it gets relaxed even more soon..
How have they taken this exit? To me it seems they are still driving straight over the zero Covid cliff.
YariGuy, kb1992, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
How have they taken this exit? To me it seems they are still driving straight over the zero Covid cliff.
Yeah, Beijing -for instance- is tightening up and locking more parts down; the loosening of these entry requirements & the easing of pre-departure testing seems to come at an odd time, IMO.
uanj, lsquare and plunet like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Yeah, Beijing -for instance- is tightening up and locking more parts down; the loosening of these entry requirements & the easing of pre-departure testing seems to come at an odd time, IMO.
But if you look at it from another angle, the definition of "zero-covid" has changed. From truly zero, to dynamic zero to 社会性清零. The goalposts have shifted.

It seems to me that they're ok with say 100 cases in a city now, as long as all those people can be traced and confined, but probably not more than that. This is a really slow "flattening of the curve."

In this context, it makes sense to shorten quarantines for overseas arrivals, as long as they and their friends can be found and quarantined again if they do become positive.
YariGuy likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:08 am

I think they have realised that quarantine is by definition leaky and rather than applying maximum pressure to the Q process it's more sensible to deal with the inevitable leaks into the community.
joesk likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Update from Hangzhou, for my final 7 days of Q. I was released from Q in Shanghai after 14 days on May 23. However, no hotel in Shanghai was accepting new guests. I even asked Marriott Ambassador Service to help but to no avail. I called 22 Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai and I could not find a single one to accept me. The list includes JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, W hotel etc.

The only option is to continue staying at Shanghai Q hotel which wasn't too appealing to me. Almost ALL cities in China require folks out of Shanghai to quarantine for minimum 14 days. Hangzhou only requires 7. So I decided to go to Hangzhou. Securing a train ticket was challenging since trains are very limited and there is almost zero flights out of Shanghai these days until the end of May. I am a veteran train traveler and skilled user of 12306 app (China railway) and got my ticket on May 24. So I stayed at Q hotel for an extra night. They were kind to let me stay. See pictures below. This is a very nice hotel.

There was almost no public transportation, and I had 5 pieces of luggage. A friend with connection to the local government arranged a van with city permit (a pass necessary to go to various parts of the city and airports). We dropped 2 bags to my in-laws (lot of stuff brought from the US), and directly went to Hongqiao Railway station. 48 hour PCR test and 24 hour RAT were needed to board a train.

It was very smooth ride to the train station. There was zero traffic.

The station was very crowded. Even business class lounge was packed full.

Many people waited months to leave Shanghai.

This looks like Spring Festival traffic jam.

Business class was super nice. I had a comfy ride. Most importantly, it took very little effort to store my 3 bags.

At Hangzhou East Railway station, a government employee was waiting for me at the platform. He led me going through all sorts of inspection stops. The train station exit was a zoo. The waiting lines for COVID test, Q registration, etc. were very long, probably stretched to a mile. Basically I bypassed all these lines and saved at least 1-2 hours. I took a quick RAT. Finally, I was on the bus to my Q hotel, alone. I saw these buses were fully packed with arriving pax to various Q hotels. Pax from the entire train are put on different buses depending on the districts of their home. Needless to say, I appreciated the VIP treatment. Otherwise it's going to be really a rough process for me carrying 3 bags.

My Q hotel is a modern, 5-star hotel. A lovely and spacious family suite was awaiting for me. I was stunned. This could be the best Q hotel room in CHINA. The food offering is better than Shanghai by a mile. I feel that I am on vacation. I prefer not to upload pictures of my nice, roomy, comfy suite because I don't want to upset those who have stayed at crappy, small, ugly and dirty Q hotel rooms.

I look forward to my release on May 31, and have many lavish dinner invitations in Hangzhou already. This is one of my favorite cities in China.

At this point, my China trip has been very smooth and pleasant. It will only get better!
joesk, Scifience, Majuki and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Update from Hangzhou, for my final 7 days of Q. I was released from Q in Shanghai after 14 days on May 23. However, no hotel in Shanghai was accepting new guests. I even asked Marriott Ambassador Service to help but to no avail. I called 22 Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai and I could not find a single one to accept me. The list includes JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, W hotel etc.

The only option is to continue staying at Shanghai Q hotel which wasn't too appealing to me. Almost ALL cities in China require folks out of Shanghai to quarantine for minimum 14 days. Hangzhou only requires 7. So I decided to go to Hangzhou. Securing a train ticket was challenging since trains are very limited and there is almost zero flights out of Shanghai these days until the end of May. I am a veteran train traveler and skilled user of 12306 app (China railway) and got my ticket on May 24. So I stayed at Q hotel for an extra night. They were kind to let me stay. See pictures below. This is a very nice hotel.

There was almost no public transportation, and I had 5 pieces of luggage. A friend with connection to the local government arranged a van with city permit (a pass necessary to go to various parts of the city and airports). We dropped 2 bags to my in-laws (lot of stuff brought from the US), and directly went to Hongqiao Railway station. 48 hour PCR test and 24 hour RAT were needed to board a train.

It was very smooth ride to the train station. There was zero traffic.

The station was very crowded. Even business class lounge was packed full.

Many people waited months to leave Shanghai.

This looks like Spring Festival traffic jam.

Business class was super nice. I had a comfy ride. Most importantly, it took very little effort to store my 3 bags.

At Hangzhou East Railway station, a government employee was waiting for me at the platform. He led me going through all sorts of inspection stops. The train station exit was a zoo. The waiting lines for COVID test, Q registration, etc. were very long, probably stretched to a mile. Basically I bypassed all these lines and saved at least 1-2 hours. I took a quick RAT. Finally, I was on the bus to my Q hotel, alone. I saw these buses were fully packed with arriving pax to various Q hotels. Pax from the entire train are put on different buses depending on the districts of their home. Needless to say, I appreciated the VIP treatment. Otherwise it's going to be really a rough process for me carrying 3 bags.

My Q hotel is a modern, 5-star hotel. A lovely and spacious family suite was awaiting for me. I was stunned. This could be the best Q hotel room in CHINA. The food offering is better than Shanghai by a mile. I feel that I am on vacation. I prefer not to upload pictures of my nice, roomy, comfy suite because I don't want to upset those who have stayed at crappy, small, ugly and dirty Q hotel rooms.

I look forward to my release on May 31, and have many lavish dinner invitations in Hangzhou already. This is one of my favorite cities in China.

At this point, my China trip has been very smooth and pleasant. It will only get better!
Were you able to get out on May 31st and enjoy the lavish dinner in Hangzhou? I’m interested to hear how the trip is going and if you have plans to return to Shanghai now that it’s open.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Were you able to get out on May 31st and enjoy the lavish dinner in Hangzhou? I’m interested to hear how the trip is going and if you have plans to return to Shanghai now that it’s open.
I never imagined that I'd be saying this, but closed Shanghai was actually far more pleasant than half-open Shanghai from my standpoint (remember, I went outside exploring almost every day).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.