Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Bart
Whether your realize it or not, you just repeated what I said. If the operator can clear the shoes whether inside a bin or in a bag, then the items are clear. If not, then the operator will call a bag check. It's the same thing, you just don't realize it. (Rescreening is always an option but is not mandatory).

Bottom line: you can either help out the x-ray operator or risk spending a little bit more time at the checkpoint. It IS up to you, pal.
I think this is quite clear. I went through the B checkpoint at DCA yesterday (and went back out soon after to catch a train due to delays, but that's another story). I packed my single bin in my usual "summer" way: I put my laptop on one side, leaving 1/3 of the bin empty. On that side, I put my cellphone, keys, Kippy bag, and then my flip-flops on top. The only thing dense on that side was the 3x5" cellphone.

I've never had any trouble packing the bin that way and yesterday was no exception. The x-ray operator looked at the image for a tiny bit, picked up one of the shoes a couple of inches to see what was under it, and sent it on. The "delay" was, at most, five seconds. Given the likelihood of light things like flip-flops ending up all over the place if not in a bin, to me what I did seems the best thing to do. Bart, do you agree?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I disagree. I think that page is just fine. It doesn't say "3.0" in one place and "3.4" in another. "3" and "3.4" are compatible. When you write "3", you mean "3 +/- 0.5". If you mean to be more precise, you say "3.0".
I wholly disagree. We don't get to add on decimal places and round off. We must accept the specific number given. And the fact that they give different numbers in different places is both misleading and moronic. They have a PR campaign ("3-1-1") and then they have actual policy. The fact that they cannot coordinate the two is pretty pathetic.

But even if we did get to round off as you are suggesting that would mean that 3.5oz containers are OK according to the TSA, and we know that to be false. It would also mean that a TSO could decide to only permit containers 2.5oz or smaller, because that rounds off to 3. Again, not true.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I wholly disagree. We don't get to add on decimal places and round off. We must accept the specific number given. And the fact that they give different numbers in different places is both misleading and moronic. They have a PR campaign ("3-1-1") and then they have actual policy. The fact that they cannot coordinate the two is pretty pathetic.

But even if we did get to round off as you are suggesting that would mean that 3.5oz containers are OK according to the TSA, and we know that to be false. It would also mean that a TSO could decide to only permit containers 2.5oz or smaller, because that rounds off to 3. Again, not true.
It is an engineering thing. If you mean 3.00 then 3.00 is what is meant. If you say 3 then anything from 3.0000 to 3.99999 is acceptable.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:32 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I disagree. I think that page is just fine. It doesn't say "3.0" in one place and "3.4" in another. "3" and "3.4" are compatible. When you write "3", you mean "3 +/- 0.5". If you mean to be more precise, you say "3.0".

So the chart at the is the approximation and what's below is the more precise rule. I don't read it as a "contradiction". Where I have problems is when 3.4 isn't mentioned at all.
In this case there are a lot of items that are 100ml which is 3.38 oz and there are a lot that are under 3. So the TSA NEEDS TO BE MORE CLEAR. Even their screeners are confused and I've had them say something about my 100ml bottles which said 3.4 oz on them. "This is more than 3oz".

So by saying 3oz in this case you don't mean 3.4oz IMHO.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:34 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then I'll rephrase: you now know that shoes placed directly on a belt make it easier for an x-ray operator to scan them faster. You don't have to put them on the belt, but regardless what you read on the Blog, unless there's been some change I don't know about, it is still procedure. It's just not being enforced. I still teach officers that shoes ought to be placed directly on the belt but to not get their panties in a wad when they aren't.

You now have a choice of either helping out the x-ray operator or not. That's the ball that's in your court. You don't have to help out the x-ray operator......but don't you get your panties in a wad when the operator decides to call a bag check.

So Bart what I hear you saying is that Blogger Bob Burns of TSA HQ is wrong when he stated that "Shoes on the Belt" was not policy.

Is that it? Your calling Bob a liar?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:58 pm

So the chart at the is the approximation and what's below is the more precise rule. I don't read it as a "contradiction". Where I have problems is when 3.4 isn't mentioned at all.
Perhaps you should look at that page again. It says "3 ounce or smaller." 3.4 ounces is not smaller, so it won't fly. Below it then states "3.4 ounce bottle or less." Inconsistency on the same page.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look, the TSA loves its little acronyms and cute sayings. VIPR, SPOT, etc.

3.4-1-1 doesn't sound as cute and cuddly to the TSA as 3-1-1. They likely don't want to spend the money to fix their signs.

Besides, it would also admit that the TSA is wrong, and we all know the TSA never admits making an error.

The closest thing I've seen to a correct sign was a hand-written one in Philadelphia's D Concourse during the construction last year, taped to a temporary wall saying it's 3.4 oz.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 7:13 pm
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
The whole thing of shoes comming off is stupid non sense
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of you will insist on holding your breath until you're blue in the face.
And based on personal experience, many TSO do not follow the policy.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I would think that when TSA funds the replacement signs that someone will come up with a more accurate public information campaign.

Your comparison to speed limits doesn't cut it with me. Nice try.
Maybe they should have spent the money on the new cop uniforms on that then. @:-) Or is TSA more about show rather than truth and accuracy?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not calling Blogger Bob a liar. I am simply stating what the correct procedure is. The policy is that TSOs will not correct passengers or force them to put the shoes on the conveyor belt. I've said this in previous posts, and it's consistent with what Blogger Bob is saying on the TSA site.

I'm also saying that if an x-ray operator cannot properly clear images of shoes, whether they are laid directly on the belt or not, then that operator will summon a bag check. If you place your shoes directly on the belt, you increase the likelihood of the x-ray operator being able to clear them without further inspection.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not you put the shoes on the conveyor belt. But you now have some additional insight that may make your security screening a little more smoother.

Some of you will insist on holding your breath until you're blue in the face.

Strange, the DFW TDC drone who clearly stated that shoes must be on the belt did not say they could be in a bin if one so desired.

So is this another of your well trained TSO's just making up rules at the checkpoint or is this another case of TSA rolling out a policy without any thought to the implications of how it would be implemented?

It certainly didn't sound like there was a choice in the matter.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:35 pm

Whether your realize it or not, you just repeated what I said. If the operator can clear the shoes whether inside a bin or in a bag, then the items are clear. If not, then the operator will call a bag check. It's the same thing, you just don't realize it. (Rescreening is always an option but is not mandatory).

Bottom line: you can either help out the x-ray operator or risk spending a little bit more time at the checkpoint. It IS up to you, pal.
Actually, I did not repeat what you said. You said that the SOP is still in place, but it is not being enforced. If that is the case, under what authority do you have to tell your TSO's to ignore the procedure? It has a chilling effect if the policy is in place, but not being enforced until a lone TSO decides to do so.

I agree that in practice, the outcome is probably generally the same. But at any time prior to screening, a TSO can tell me to put my shoes on the belt. If that SOP is in place, then I can't say no. If it is not in place, I can tell him that it is recommended to do so, but not required (and then I will be off to my "continuous secondary screening").

And I don't think that it is current policy. The reason - liability. If it is only recommended, but not required, any damages done to shoes can much more readily be avoided.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not calling Blogger Bob a liar. I am simply stating what the correct procedure is. The policy is that TSOs will not correct passengers or force them to put the shoes on the conveyor belt.
That is NOT what is happening in real life. Out of the last four times I've had the misfortune of encountering a TSA checkpoint, twice the TSO rudely pulled my shoes out of the pin and placed them on the belt.

Of course, in NRT, in HKG, in KUL, in SIN, I never had to take my shoes off in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.