Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by whitearrow

Why just international flights or flights from Europe? Won't the terrorists just switch their plans to domestic flights?
I guess they assume terrorists don't watch the news or read the internet?

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Dollars to donuts that TSA is waiting to see how this goes before introducing it on US domestic flights as well as flights leaving the US.
Sadly that's probably the next hammer to fall if this keeps moving forward.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mywanderlust
But why only target the US? Wouldn't it be fairer to have all countries use the same security standards for all flights to anywhere? I'm offended as a US citizen.
Write your elected representatives.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I did not take the photo. I did receive it directly from the photographer on site in the airport (CVG). All media inquiries I have received I have referred to the photographer who has responded promptly to each.

It's a bit reckless how some bloggers (two I am aware of so far) have directly attributed the photo to me without at least first checking. All in the name of "breaking the news" apparently.
Perhaps add that information to the original post with the image?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28302749-post317.html

?
Old May 12, 2017, 1:14 pm

Honestly, I dont understand the logic in how all these rules begin and now get expanded

A terrorist who hates the US and wants to make a bombastic statement will be more likely to bomb up a plane that is

- not of their own home country airline (ME or any Islamic country or any other country), or more specifically, IS a US airline

- originating from US

They claimed airport security is inferior / compromised in those ME / North African countries, and so now what's their explanation? EU airports security is also lousy?
Old May 12, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
I think, if implemented, this ban is going to have a very dramatic impact on the US tourism industry, as well as the convention/conference sector. As a Canadian, I've already cut my US travel by 50% or more due to the various idiotic policies and pronouncements of the past few years. This will bring it to 100%.

You may want to consider shutting down your country for a bit - no one in or out - until the last couple of lines of your national anthem apply again. Just a thought.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
From what I understand is that the proposed ban would include all flights into or through the US regardless of point of origin. Europe is getting the attention, but apparently it is to be from everywhere.
And back to my question:

Wouldn't it make sense for the countries taking flights from the US to make it reciprocal? Failure to do so either implies that the US has an effective mitigation for this OR that the threat is fake.

Battery powered devices will be banned from the cargo hold. Other electronic devices will be permitted in the cargo hold.
That will completely break air travel. Sorry, but it will. EVERYTHING has a battery these days. My watch has an LiIon battery. My earphones have them. Why not just end travel entirely? The only good news is that this will completely kill a large part of the economy and the current administration will be on the hook.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:41 pm

The likely result is a unified approach to security worldwide on this.
There needs to be a unified approach. It's silly to think only one or two countries are at risk from laptop/iPad/etc. bombs.

I don't anticipate it will be just a cell phone worldwide. I do expect that the recommended standard will be two electronic devices, one device larger than a cellphone, and a cellphone, and both must be carried on the plane. Battery powered devices will be banned from the cargo hold. Other electronic devices will be permitted in the cargo hold. If you chose to travel with electronic devices, get ready to pull them out again and also they will be scanned using a ctx or other scanner.

So the pain is coming and i don't think there is anything to stop it. Even IACO acknowledges that this is a legitimate risk that needs to be managed. They also acknowledge the very real risk of having these items in the cargo hold.
That would suck, but not nearly so hard as allowing only a cellphone on the plane. I'd like to be able to take my cellphone, iPad Mini, and two camera bodies, but if I had to I could make do with just my cellphone and one camera body. There will be folks who'll need more, though, and some way for those folks to check their devices safely and securely will need to be worked out before this ban can be implemented.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Unless the US have this for domestic.. it's proof of a theatre... especially as its the TSA that fails the most tests, think their good enough not to use it in their checkpoints!

If goes bad.. it could be a nice trigger to disband the agency! (Dreaming)

Last edited by aidy; May 12, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old May 12, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomii
This in practice would mean discriminating against and restricting the travel of brown muslims (or people with such a background).

That is not something anyone should support.
No it would be restrictions on people who cannot be vetted. Doesn't matter who they are, where they come from, or anything else. If a person cannot be vetted they pose a higher risk.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by artemis
That would suck, but not nearly so hard as allowing only a cellphone on the plane. I'd like to be able to take my cellphone, iPad Mini, and two camera bodies, but if I had to I could make do with just my cellphone and one camera body. There will be folks who'll need more, though, and some way for those folks to check their devices safely and securely will need to be worked out before this ban can be implemented.
I object to your camera bodies.

The plan, as stated, would be that you have to carry on the batteries. The batteries, even the stock ones, are clearly a threat and since we're so threat-adverse I would say you can travel with camera bodies but you're not allowed any batteries.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, TSA provides the best security in the world. It's official if such a ban is implemented. Sleep easy fellow travellers, you are safe !
Old May 12, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JakiChan
And back to my question:

Wouldn't it make sense for the countries taking flights from the US to make it reciprocal? Failure to do so either implies that the US has an effective mitigation for this OR that the threat is fake.

That will completely break air travel. Sorry, but it will. EVERYTHING has a battery these days. My watch has an LiIon battery. My earphones have them. Why not just end travel entirely? The only good news is that this will completely kill a large part of the economy and the current administration will be on the hook.
It likely will be reciprocal. That is once the unified standard gets created. That standard is coming. The US is apparently pushing hard for just a cellphone in the cabin and nothing else. The EU is pushing for nothing in the hold. That is what delayed it from my understanding. Both sides realize that the combination of the two sets of restrictions will destroy air travel and economics as well. Further, passengers in Europe returning to the US would be forced to simply throw away their personal electronics.

Further, this will come to the US as well domestically, its just a matter of time. The US roll out is designed to figure out how to implement this on a large scale and still keep things functional. If this was applied to the US domestic right now, it would jam up US airports at the counters and at the checkpoint and again at the gate. Keep in mind this would also kill all electronic sales inside the airports as well. Like it or not TSA/DHS has learned things from the implementation of the liquid ban and are not keen on repeating that fiasco again.

As I have said above, the limits are coming. We are not going to like them, but they are coming, and there is very little we can do to stop them. The likely solution is going to be two electronic devices with one bigger than a phone. Watches and the like are likely not going to be considered "electronic" devices under the ban, but it is possible that some of them might be.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It likely will be reciprocal. That is once the unified standard gets created. That standard is coming. The US is apparently pushing hard for just a cellphone in the cabin and nothing else. The EU is pushing for nothing in the hold. That is what delayed it from my understanding. Both sides realize that the combination of the two sets of restrictions will destroy air travel and economics as well. Further, passengers in Europe returning to the US would be forced to simply throw away their personal electronics.

Further, this will come to the US as well domestically, its just a matter of time. The US roll out is designed to figure out how to implement this on a large scale and still keep things functional. If this was applied to the US domestic right now, it would jam up US airports at the counters and at the checkpoint and again at the gate. Keep in mind this would also kill all electronic sales inside the airports as well. Like it or not TSA/DHS has learned things from the implementation of the liquid ban and are not keen on repeating that fiasco again.

As I have said above, the limits are coming. We are not going to like them, but they are coming, and there is very little we can do to stop them. The likely solution is going to be two electronic devices with one bigger than a phone. Watches and the like are likely not going to be considered "electronic" devices under the ban, but it is possible that some of them might be.
(bolding mine)

It's going to be a free-for-all when TSOs start exercising their 'screener discretion' to decide whether or not an expensive watch or a 'PC-on-a-stick' is contraband. Even uglier when they start going after medical devices.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Further, passengers in Europe returning to the US would be forced to simply throw away their personal electronics. be.
They could implement some service to have it shipped separately through some other process, perhaps on a cargo carrier? It would a grand pain but perhaps passengers would be able to pickup at some location in their destination? I don't see any other way both US and EU differences can be reconciled as they are mutually exclusive requirements.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The current ME ban DOES allow other items smaller than a smartphone and hasn't restricted cables or headphones - though active noise cancel big ones MAY be an issue with some airlines as they interpret the info - e.g. see this from Emirates:

https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...ghts-to-the-us

No issues on cables, headphones, etc. Irony is BATTERY packs are allowed as they CANNOT be checked. Reports of iPod Touch not being an issues and other NON phone media players that are PHONE form factor/size and fit in the 16 x 9.3 x 1.5cm centimeters (h height x w width x d depth). 6.29inch x 3.66inch x 0.59inch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.