Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder what actions Israel is taking. They're the poster child for successful, if often onerous, security. Are they getting on board with this? I haven't heard anything yet.
Israel generally doesn't do stupid, pointless crap like this. I doubt they would participate of their own volition.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I think that many of these people are beyond public shaming.
You can't tell me that one of the big networks investigative shows wouldn't love to "break" how prevalent luggage theft is...
Old May 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by nomii
Right now, the middle-eastern carriers with the ban provide gate-checking and overall a decent service to handle the banned laptop. Overall it added 10 extra minutes each before and after I landed to handle the laptop thing.
I doubt the Big 3's ability to provide this level of service. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Middle Eastern carriers whose business has fallen off following the Middle Eastern electronics ban now got a boost in their business because returning travelers simply don't trust the US carriers to properly secure and protect their checked electronics?
Old May 12, 2017, 12:26 pm

"Two airline officials briefed on the discussions said DHS gave no timetable for an announcement, but they were resigned to its inevitability."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-us/101587360/
Old May 12, 2017, 12:28 pm

So a few questions:

1. If all personal electronics are banned except for your phone then I guess Apple is screwed. There is no way to listen to an iPhone 7 without other electronics. (The headphone adapter is electronic. There's a DAC in there.)

2. I have a logic question. I know that in the case of security theater logic is not a factor, but I still must ask: if the concern is on flights going TO the US and not coming FROM the US then doesn't this mean that they feel that the TSA procedures in US airports are sufficient to prevent against this threat?

3. I wonder how soon this will apply to APAC, i.e. Tokyo? Soon, I would imagine.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:32 pm

Ship your laptop fedex. Take the huge production hit, make your employer pay the bill.

How many books can you carry? I will be leaving them behind on planes for sure. It's the airlines damn problem now.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by artemis
I doubt the Big 3's ability to provide this level of service. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Middle Eastern carriers whose business has fallen off following the Middle Eastern electronics ban now got a boost in their business because returning travelers simply don't trust the US carriers to properly secure and protect their checked electronics?
I'm not aware of anywhere outside the US where airport security forbids you to lock your checked bags and takes it as a personal affront when you do. I never had anything stolen from my bags prior to TSA and I've only ever had things stolen or damaged in the US since TSA started.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:35 pm

Exclamation UPDATE FROM DELTA: Sign posted in error

:-: I have checked with Delta on this sign and it was posted in error, according to an airline spokesperson. An IATA spokesperson in Washington DC also says the organisation has received no notice of a change in policy from the Department of Homeland Security. FOR NOW, the electronics ban stands as it has been, ONLY affecting some flights from the Middle East into the U.S.

Detailed update here: https://flightchic.com/2017/05/12/de...ights-into-us/
Old May 12, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
Might be worth clarifying that the photo actually belongs to SFO 1K, if that's the case (I assume he/she was posting a photo they originally took).
I did not take the photo. I did receive it directly from the photographer on site in the airport (CVG). All media inquiries I have received I have referred to the photographer who has responded promptly to each.

It's a bit reckless how some bloggers (two I am aware of so far) have directly attributed the photo to me without at least first checking. All in the name of "breaking the news" apparently.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
It's a bit reckless how some bloggers (two I am aware of so far) have directly attributed the photo to me without at least first checking. All in the name of "breaking the news getting the ad revenue" apparently.

FTFY
Old May 12, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JakiChan
So a few questions:

1. If all personal electronics are banned except for your phone then I guess Apple is screwed. There is no way to listen to an iPhone 7 without other electronics. (The headphone adapter is electronic. There's a DAC in there.)

2. I have a logic question. I know that in the case of security theater logic is not a factor, but I still must ask: if the concern is on flights going TO the US and not coming FROM the US then doesn't this mean that they feel that the TSA procedures in US airports are sufficient to prevent against this threat?

3. I wonder how soon this will apply to APAC, i.e. Tokyo? Soon, I would imagine.
From what I understand is that the proposed ban would include all flights into or through the US regardless of point of origin. Europe is getting the attention, but apparently it is to be from everywhere.

I do think the intent was to announce the policy yesterday with effect beginning today or tomorrow, but may have been held up because the EU indicated that they would not allow the items in the hold luggage. Both sides have a safety point and until they get this resolved the ban likely won't go into place. But it is coming.

The likely result is a unified approach to security worldwide on this. Similar to the liquid ban. I don't anticipate it will be just a cell phone worldwide. I do expect that the recommended standard will be two electronic devices, one device larger than a cellphone, and a cellphone, and both must be carried on the plane. Battery powered devices will be banned from the cargo hold. Other electronic devices will be permitted in the cargo hold. If you chose to travel with electronic devices, get ready to pull them out again and also they will be scanned using a ctx or other scanner.

So the pain is coming and i don't think there is anything to stop it. Even IACO acknowledges that this is a legitimate risk that needs to be managed. They also acknowledge the very real risk of having these items in the cargo hold.

In terms of implementation, I do believe that there will be a phase in of the rule. It all depends on what the EU does on their end. If they hold fast to the not in the cargo hold, we could see about a month delay in the implementation from when it is launched. The reactions of the Asian countries probably won't matter much at all.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
The article currently on your website seems to attribute the photo to a twitter poster, with the photo then being found here on FT.

Might be worth clarifying that the photo actually belongs to SFO 1K, if that's the case (I assume he/she was posting a photo they originally took).

OTOH, looks like this thread is now being noticed by other media outlets as a result of that picture.
@:-) This is a very valid point and I have corrected the text in my article to credit the image appropriately. Thank you!
Old May 12, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Well things are going to get interesting here. The ban is coming it is just a matter of when. The issue that i am hearing is that the US wants just a cell phone allowed and nothing else every thing else in the hold. The EU has apparently informed the US that they are not going to allow the loading of the other devices in the cargo hold, and will remove those items from checked luggage. And what we have now is a stand off.
EU is not as easy to be bullied to obey such nonsensical rule, that's for sure.

At least someone out there is still rational.

Felt really bad for the ME and North Africa nations that got maligned.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles
But why only target the US? Wouldn't it be fairer to have all countries use the same security standards for all flights to anywhere? I'm offended as a US citizen.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:03 pm

Update on Attribution of Image and Developing News

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I did not take the photo. I did receive it directly from the photographer on site in the airport (CVG). All media inquiries I have received I have referred to the photographer who has responded promptly to each.

It's a bit reckless how some bloggers (two I am aware of so far) have directly attributed the photo to me without at least first checking. All in the name of "breaking the news" apparently.
@:-):-:I can only speak for myself on this point, but I have made the point clear that the image shared on social media by other reporters was originally yours.

In the interest of clarity on the matter, as the news spread, I focused on gathering facts. I did extend my contact details to you for further information as I prepared my reports. It is (was) a pressing story to get right, and I have focused on reaching the right sources and gathering the facts.

I also want to be clear that Flight Chic is a non-ad site, dedicated merely to industry insights in the public interest, and generates no revenue from these stories.

Thanks to all here for your information and guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.