Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You can check in guns and ship with checked baggage in Canada. There are some restrictions, such as certain handguns are not allowed, but you can certainly transport firearms on flights in Canada.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I just wonder about security at FLL doing? Is security will be tighter? Surely, you can't bring a gun at airport anymore. The weapons is prohibited. Do not put a gun into checked bags or carryon. Leave your weapons at home and don't bring along with you. It could be very dangerous out there.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
I just wonder about security at FLL doing? Is security will be tighter? Surely, you can't bring a gun at airport anymore. The weapons is prohibited. Do not put a gun into checked bags or carryon. Leave your weapons at home and don't bring along with you. It could be very dangerous out there.
They may be more vigilant at security (which would be meaningless after the fact) but guns aren't prohibited in an airport in Florida landside. And still not prohibited to check a gun in your bag
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was no security failure at FLL. FLL TSA didn't foul up, the cops at FLL didn't foul up.

There is risk in life and sadly this event demonstrates that risk. When a person makes a decision to hurt others the only factor at that point is by what means.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
A firearm in a checked bag is just an inert hunk of metal. It's no more dangerous than a screwdriver or wrench.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BSBD
A firearm in a checked bag is just an inert hunk of metal. It's no more dangerous than a screwdriver or wrench.
I'm pretty sure some items are more effectively able to facilitate more killings in a very short period of time than other items.

Not all weapons are created equal in what they can enable.

This is part of the reason why some of us found the passenger Swiss Army knife ban in cabins to be more ridiculous than a passenger firearm ban in cabins.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm pretty sure some items are more effectively able to facilitate more killings in a very short period of time than other items.

Not all weapons are created equal in what they can enable.

This is part of the reason why some of us found the passenger Swiss Army knife ban in cabins to be more ridiculous than a passenger firearm ban in cabins.
How is a gun, with no ammo, in a locked box in a checked bag, any more or less dangerous or more or less likely to facilitate more or less killings in a short period of time, than anything else?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How is a gun, with no ammo, in a locked box in a checked bag, any more or less dangerous or more or less likely to facilitate more or less killings in a short period of time, than anything else?

A handgun as you describe is just a chunk of metal and plastic. But, it is permitted to carry ammo with that handgun in the same checked baggage. I see no reason to change those rules at this point in time. With 2 million people flying each day the event doesn't even blip on the radar. We cannot create enough rules to prohibit each and every threat. If we try then freedom of movement will be severely restricted.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

A gun with ammo -- not a gun without ammo -- in a passenger cabin is generally more of an issue than a Swiss Army knife when it comes to that.

The point is that not all weapons or dual-use items are an equal threat to all other weapons and dual-use items. My keys can be pretty deadly if used in some ways, but I'm pretty sure my guns are generally a more effective tool than keys in being deadly on a larger scale in a shorter time frame if the aim of the individual using the tool is to kill.

I am certainly not a fan of another knee-jerk TSA rule being introduced because of an actual or supposed attack at an airport or on a plane -- that goes for this attack at FLL too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by chollie
Give me a break. Stop distorting my words.

To sum up: I don't think it's too much to expect academy-trained 'federal officers' to perform at least as well as untrained school teachers and school employees. You clearly disagree. You can do so without gratuitous insults or accusing me of things I neither said nor suggested.

No mention of 'Rambo' or 'Rambo wannabes' in my post - only in yours. No mention of unarmed folks attacking armed intruders. Not a word about a TSO making him/herself a target. BTW...I'd like to think that 'academy training' would identify and address any 'Rambo wannabes' in the TSA ranks.
I never accused you of anything. I said someone that would vilify any person that was incapable of stepping up in a incident of this nature, deserve to be vilified themselves. I never distorted your words, I never placed any words in your mouth, I merely indicated some possible situations if untrained people try to step up during an incident of that nature. Anything else you take from my post is simply in your interpretation - not an implication.

One of the reasons I disagree with you, is because of the training most unarmed federal employees get = run, hide, fight - with fight being an extreme last resort. Another reason is, I personally do not expect anyone with (no tactical training, no weapons and) no good option past "get out" to do anything other than "get out" is, it is unreasonable. It is simply unreasonable to expect untrained, unarmed civilians to face an armed individual bent on doing harm to people - especially if those people have the option to flee and remove themselves from danger. People that do step up are to be commended, and recognized.

As for gratuitous insults, there are no insults in what I posted.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

It is time for the periodic reminder!
FlyerTalk Rule 12.2
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed.

<snip>
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A gun with ammo -- not a gun without ammo -- in a passenger cabin is generally more of an issue than a Swiss Army knife when it comes to that.

The point is that not all weapons or dual-use items are an equal threat to all other weapons and dual-use items. My keys can be pretty deadly if used in some ways, but I'm pretty sure my guns are generally a more effective tool than keys in being deadly on a larger scale in a shorter time frame if the aim of the individual using the tool is to kill.

I am certainly not a fan of another knee-jerk TSA rule being introduced because of an actual or supposed attack at an airport or on a plane -- that goes for this attack at FLL too.
But no one is talking about bringing a gun into the passenger cabin...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

But no one is talking about bringing a gun into the passenger cabin...
I was responding to the claim that a firearm is no more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver. Apparently, it's been long standing conventional wisdom that firearms are more dangerous than wrenches or screwdrivers at airports and on planes, whether within the passenger cabin or not; and it's why some weapons and dual-use items have more restrictions than others applied to them at airports and on planes. We do recall that firearm transport on common carriers, whether in the passenger cabin or in checked luggage, is more regulated than the transport of wrenches, right? And it has been this way even decades before there was a TSA.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was responding to the claim that a firearm is no more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver. Apparently, it's been long standing conventional wisdom that firearms are more dangerous than wrenches or screwdrivers at airports and on planes, whether within the passenger cabin or not; and it's why some weapons and dual-use items have more restrictions than others applied to them at airports and on planes.
That claim was that a gun is no more dangerous than anything else WHEN INSIDE A CHECKED BAG.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That claim was that a gun is no more dangerous than anything else WHEN INSIDE A CHECKED BAG.
The word "when" wasn't there. In a checked bag or not, a firearm is generally considered more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver -- even in a checked bag. This is why the transport of firearms even in common carrier holds is more regulated than transport of wrenches and screwdrivers in common carrier holds. Those are the facts, whether they are convenient or not, when traveling with such items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.