Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Of course the states can. Have you forgotten that there is an amendment procedure to the Constitution?

Perhaps you failed to notice my wink at the end of my post. It was intended to be humorous, not to be taken seriously or literally.
I wondered if I should have revised/clarified my comment with an "outside of a amendment to the Constipation the states cant....". It would have helped.

No, I saw the wink. But what you know with a nod and a wink, many if not most others reading might not know that there is no general aviation helicopter traffic permitted within DC and the heliports are pretty much pointless. Heck, even the MPD helicopter needs special permissions to ride around the city.... I just wanted to make sure the general public knew about the situation.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
I wondered if I should have revised/clarified my comment with an "outside of a amendment to the Constipation the states cant....". It would have helped.

No, I saw the wink. But what you know with a nod and a wink, many if not most others reading might not know that there is no general aviation helicopter traffic permitted within DC and the heliports are pretty much pointless. Heck, even the MPD helicopter needs special permissions to ride around the city.... I just wanted to make sure the general public knew about the situation.
Got it. Perhaps I do assume too much knowledge. In fact, My first thought was of the helipad at the White House when I wrote the post, certainly not one open to the public, but I did enjoy the image of Trump going through TSA style security before boarding Marine One.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Section 107
The states cannot recognize, let alone grant, a right under federal law that the federal constitution does not itself recognize nor grant. The individual states could allow a representative from the DofC to be recognized in their own legislatures, if they wished....
The Constitution doesn't 'grant' or 'recognize' rights, either. It merely prohibits the government from denying or abridging individual rights. It lists some of the most important ones, and then it states (importantly enough that it gets its own separate Amendment) “The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is "How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?"

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I would say that considering how long it's been, without any massive announcement or policy change, we can deduce that the TSA won't do much in response to the FLL shooting
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I would say that considering how long it's been, without any massive announcement or policy change, we can deduce that the TSA won't do much in response to the FLL shooting
It is yet to be seen whether or not DHS/TSA makes a change using the FLL shooting as at least partial justification.

Old incidents sometimes come up as a way to try to justify what a party wants to pursue anyway possible. Time will tell.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
This whole topic is silly. Except for in 7 states and the District of Columbia, open carry / concealed carry is legal in the public side of all airports. Baggage claim, ticket counter, welcome lobby, wherever. The only place firearms can't go is past security. TSA can't do anything about firearms in the lobby anymore than they can do anything about someone smoking a cigarette in one.
Here is a 2015 report from the Airport Council NA summarizing carry rules in various states as they relate to airports. This report seems to be part of a larger presentation and therefore should not be taken as definitive on its own. Having said that, it does indicate that while 6 states absolutely prohibit firearms on airport property, 25 other states also have prohibitions and limits on allowing firearms in the non-sterile areas of the airports. http://www.aci-na.org/sites/default/...-_april_17.pdf. In addition, individual airports may have their own regulations.

However, as noted in the response above, it is not TSA that would enforce those laws/regulations but an agency having jurisdiction, (generally, the local airport police). If a TSA employee were to notice someone possessing a firearm on airport property s/he would certainly be expected 9possibly required) to bring that information to the attention of the appropriate LEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.