Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Sadly, today there has been some shootings by a gunman at the FLL baggage claim area, and reportedly there are multiple victims, some killed and others wounded. Fortunately, the gunman has since been stopped and is in custody according to some reports.

https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-920983

What kind of thing should we expect from the TSA for this?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Something useless and unproductive, yet onerous for passengers.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA should do exactly nothing. This is a local law enforcement issue.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There will be the almost inevitable calls for all access to airport property be security-controlled. Remote drop off lots with shuttles. Ticketed passengers only allowed onto the airport terminal concourse.
Allow 4 hours for any flight no matter how long. Which is why the proposals will be made. The airlines will make it rain in the halls of Congress to defeat this.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
There have been numerous airport shootings in the last 15 years. As long as none are in the "sterile area", TSA doesn't really have a say in it.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
News reports say the shooter was a passenger on an arriving Air Canada flight, and the gun was retrieved from his checked bag on arrival.

If that's true, then restricting access to the terminal wouldn't have stopped this incident - not that TSA would actually think of that.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:33 pm

"How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?"

I heard they responded by running. And screaming.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeBas
"How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?"

I heard they responded by running. And screaming.
^^
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I would not be surprised if TSA will put an end to the ability to check a handgun in luggage. That will likely be the end of that.

Honestly, I am surprised that we can still do this. We can't bring a water bottle on the plane, but we can check a handgun? Yeah, pretty strange.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
With some absurd policies for sure. How is this any different from a shooting at Walmart or a movie theater? It is a public unsecured area. So what if he had the handgun in his checked bag? Would it have been better if he walked into baggage claim from the parking lot at his originating airport and did the shooting? Same end result.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA should do exactly nothing. This is a local law enforcement issue.
Agree completely. This has absolutely nothing to do with TSA.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
I would not be surprised if TSA will put an end to the ability to check a handgun in luggage. That will likely be the end of that.

Honestly, I am surprised that we can still do this. We can't bring a water bottle on the plane, but we can check a handgun? Yeah, pretty strange.
You're comparing apples and oranges. You can't bring either a (full) water bottle or a handgun through a checkpoint. On the other hand, you can place both items in checked luggage (okay, the handgun requires more care than the water bottle).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by wrp96
News reports say the shooter was a passenger on an arriving Air Canada flight, and the gun was retrieved from his checked bag on arrival.

If that's true, then restricting access to the terminal wouldn't have stopped this incident - not that TSA would actually think of that.
What if he didn't come in from Canada, but from MSP instead (almost Canada)?

At what point after you land and pick up your bags do you stop being a passemger?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by LEONIDES

I won't be surprised if you're correct in your prediction. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if TSA unilaterally forbids any and all firearms and ammunition in checked bags after this, which will put a serious hurt on those who travel with sporting and hunting weapons. Want to go duck or elk hunting in another state? Either ship your guns, or drive.

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
You're comparing apples and oranges. You can't bring either a (full) water bottle or a handgun through a checkpoint. On the other hand, you can place both items in checked luggage (okay, the handgun requires more care than the water bottle).
Also agreed.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:33 pm

Maybe TSA will require all luggage containing firearms to be checked to the destination baggage office, where unclaimed and oversized bags are currently sent, so that some verification (not just ID, but e.g. whether the passenger is sober) can be performed before pickup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.