Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
I'll add my voice to those who have already mentioned that this incident was only related to aviation and airport security by virtue of the location of the crime, and not the nature of the crime.

My guess is that between TSA, FAA, the airline lobby, and the firearm lobby, this point will be recognized. I am hopeful that nothing drastic will change because of this. Any different security measures at airports that come about because of this tragedy would simply be politically motivated.

My snarkier response is to say "Simple solution: TSA should just ban psychotic killers."
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by valuetactics
I'll add my voice to those who have already mentioned that this incident was only related to aviation and airport security by virtue of the location of the crime, and not the nature of the crime.

My guess is that between TSA, FAA, the airline lobby, and the firearm lobby, this point will be recognized. I am hopeful that nothing drastic will change because of this. Any different security measures at airports that come about because of this tragedy would simply be politically motivated.

My snarkier response is to say "Simple solution: TSA should just ban psychotic killers."
The nature of the crime was related to aviation and airport security as the shooter deliberately choose to shoot up people at the airport and seemingly flew to this airport for the purpose of shooting up people at the ticketed destination which he deliberately picked.

He didn't choose to shoot up people in his home state(s) nor at any place beside an airport. He seems to have enough mental competency to plan out what he was going to do and how to maximize his chances to survive to live another day despite law enforcement being on trigger's edge to shoot.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The nature of the crime was related to aviation and airport security as the shooter deliberately choose to shoot up people at the airport and seemingly flew to this airport for the purpose of shooting up people at the ticketed destination which he deliberately picked.

He didn't choose to shoot up people in his home state(s) nor at any place beside an airport. He seems to have enough mental competency to plan out what he was going to do and how to maximize his chances to survive to live another day despite law enforcement being on trigger's edge to shoot.
Does anyone think the attacker had a special prejudice against airline travelers? Were there unique security loopholes at FLL that allowed him to carry out this shooting? Security loopholes that weren't present at any other public area where large groups of people congregate?

I hope you see the logic in my rhetorical questions. Obviously the attack relates to airports and air travel in that it happened at FLL. However, nothing about this attack should raise security concerns that would uniquely affect the air industry over any other industry in which where large crowds are present during normal operations.

My point is, any new security measures placed at airports due to this incident should logically also be placed at train stations, stadiums, schools, concert venues, etc. And that's just not going to happen. As others have pointed out: move the security perimeter back, and you're simply moving the target area for this type of wacko killer.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valuetactics
Does anyone think the attacker had a special prejudice against airline travelers? Were there unique security loopholes at FLL that allowed him to carry out this shooting? Security loopholes that weren't present at any other public area where large groups of people congregate?
Yes; no; and no.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Out of curiosity, when did the FAA set rules for transporting firearms? I presume that such rules far pre-dated the TSA.
The Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) set the ground rules. It was passed by Congress in 1986. FOPA '86 also banned private ownership of new-manufacture machine guns.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
There's a problem, though--any such system requires marking the bag containing the firearm. Oops--they have already found that marking gun-containing baggage was a bad idea. (I don't know what prompted this, probably theft.)
Yes, theft - rampant theft. The original rule was that the bright-orange "FIREARM INSIDE tag was to be placed on the outside of the luggage. After thousands of thefts of firearms by airline personnel, baggage handlers, and opportunistic thieves in baggage claim areas, the rule was changed to require that the tag be placed inside the luggage/case containing the firearm when the firearm is declared to the ticket agent.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
The Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) set the ground rules. It was passed by Congress in 1986. FOPA '86 also banned private ownership of new-manufacture machine guns.

Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why FLL?

I've been through this airport numerous times but only using terminal 3. Not sure if the layout is similar in both terminals with baggage claim conveyors lined up side by side. Pretty much a large open room with doors to the outside. The people going through FLL make up a very diverse group of people. Lots of people headed to cruise ships and other southern Florida attractions.

I wonder if this guy had some connection to the area or if it was just a random pick? Whatever the case he should get the death penalty.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why FLL?

I've been through this airport numerous times but only using terminal 3. Not sure if the layout is similar in both terminals with baggage claim conveyors lined up side by side. Pretty much a large open room with doors to the outside. The people going through FLL make up a very diverse group of people. Lots of people headed to cruise ships and other southern Florida attractions.

I wonder if this guy had some connection to the area or if it was just a random pick? Whatever the case he should get the death penalty.
FLL has both JetBlue and Southwest service from FLL to Puerto Rico. I assume it's sometimes one of the cheapest ways to get from Alaska to Puerto Rico.

The shooter's brother said the shooter was crazy and telling people that the CIA was covertly instructing him to watch ISIS videos. And at least some warnings about ISIS involved potential threats to cruise traffic. But given the shooter was noted as crazy even by the FBI, it may not be so easy to understand the deliberations of a mad terrorist.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 8, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I agree with those who state that baggage claim isn't a "unique" area. If we move the security checkpoint further, you're just moving the target further, not changing it in any way.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
They can move the checkpoint 10 miles away and it won't do a thing to prevent an attack like this.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
They can move the checkpoint 10 miles away and it won't do a thing to prevent an attack like this.
Let's hope that government is as smart as you are. I have my doubts about that though.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by chollie
I believe an unarmed school employee at Sandy Hook was vilified for allegedly running and hiding. The rest of her unarmed co-workers assumed leadership roles and tried to guide the children to safety.

Any FA who elbowed pax out of the way to escape an attack during a flight would be condemned.

I don't think it's inappropriate to expect 'academy'-trained TSA employees to perform as responsibly as unarmed elementary school employees with no 'academy' training - particularly when such a high percentage are allegedly veterans with military experience and training in addition to their 'academy' training.
Anyone vilifying a person over flight during a situation of this nature (read that to mean folks that are not expected to deal with this type of situation, such as soldiers, LEOs, armed security forces) clearly is possessed of unrealistic expectations, and deserves to be vilified themselves. If you have had no tactical training, and you are faced with a situation where someone is shooting in your general direction or location - your best options remain as follows run, hide fight. Even if you have had tactical training and are faced with a situation that gives you a 75% or better chance of survival by running (because you are facing someone at 20 yards with a handgun, and you have a pocket knife and a direct frontal assault as your only attack vector), you run and look for a better set of odds on bringing the target down.

I have not seen a TSO run over anyone during a flee the area incident, and many have done just as you say here - took on leadership roles in trying to direct and gather folks to get them to safety. To expect every single person to react like Rambo in a shooting incident is patently unrealistic, not to mention it creates more challenges for the folks that have been trained to respond to shooter situations - thus placing some Rambo wannabe in danger of being putdown after being mistaken for a threat during a chaotic time. There is a fine line between being faced with a situation that forces you to fight, one that you have a tactical advantage in and choose to take the advantage and try to end the situation, and being in a situation where you are faced with little chance of doing anything but adding to the statistics as a dead body. Expecting unarmed people of any stripe to charge a shooter (unless there is no other option), or stand up in a shooting incident and make a target of themselves by screaming for everyone to follow them to safety - is just plain silly.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes; no; and no.
Wow, will wonders never cease, we agree 100% on this one!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Anyone vilifying a person over flight during a situation of this nature (read that to mean folks that are not expected to deal with this type of situation, such as soldiers, LEOs, armed security forces) clearly is possessed of unrealistic expectations, and deserves to be vilified themselves. If you have had no tactical training, and you are faced with a situation where someone is shooting in your general direction or location - your best options remain as follows run, hide fight. Even if you have had tactical training and are faced with a situation that gives you a 75% or better chance of survival by running (because you are facing someone at 20 yards with a handgun, and you have a pocket knife and a direct frontal assault as your only attack vector), you run and look for a better set of odds on bringing the target down.

I have not seen a TSO run over anyone during a flee the area incident, and many have done just as you say here - took on leadership roles in trying to direct and gather folks to get them to safety. To expect every single person to react like Rambo in a shooting incident is patently unrealistic, not to mention it creates more challenges for the folks that have been trained to respond to shooter situations - thus placing some Rambo wannabe in danger of being putdown after being mistaken for a threat during a chaotic time. There is a fine line between being faced with a situation that forces you to fight, one that you have a tactical advantage in and choose to take the advantage and try to end the situation, and being in a situation where you are faced with little chance of doing anything but adding to the statistics as a dead body. Expecting unarmed people of any stripe to charge a shooter (unless there is no other option), or stand up in a shooting incident and make a target of themselves by screaming for everyone to follow them to safety - is just plain silly.
Give me a break. Stop distorting my words.

To sum up: I don't think it's too much to expect academy-trained 'federal officers' to perform at least as well as untrained school teachers and school employees. You clearly disagree. You can do so without gratuitous insults or accusing me of things I neither said nor suggested.

No mention of 'Rambo' or 'Rambo wannabes' in my post - only in yours. No mention of unarmed folks attacking armed intruders. Not a word about a TSO making him/herself a target. BTW...I'd like to think that 'academy training' would identify and address any 'Rambo wannabes' in the TSA ranks.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Angry TSA Opens my Golf Clubs and loses the TSA Lock every time

It is almost humorous that TSA opens my golf club carrying case every time I pass through the US and EVERY TIME manages to forget to replace the EXPENSIVE TSA lock.

I guess a golf club looks like a long gun?

On my current trip all three bags were opened, the lock on the Golf Club bag was lost, and the other two TSA locks were "replaced" but were not relocked.

Who hires these clowns and why are they not monitored to at least be required to re-secure my bags after they invade my space?

PS Canada does NOT allow guns in bags. Period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.