Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before accusing others of being "foolishly pedantic" perhaps you should just agree to disagree and move on.

We all know that a handgun, rifle, shotgun, or what have you is not particularly dangerous (except as a club) unless loaded but who isn't going to think a weapon isn't loaded if it is pointed at a persons head? I don't think I would take that chance.

I think we all know that the concept of a locked container is to make it a bit more difficult to access that weapon but we also know that no scheme is foolproof. As we saw in the FLL incident a properly transported weapon can rapidly become a very dangerous weapon in the hands of an actor with bad intentions.

Let's face it, a gun is meant to fire a projectile at deadly velocities. That is the only purpose they serve. Millions of people own and carry a weapon on a daily basis without incident. I'm not sure there is a way to prevent each and every person with bad intentions from doing harm to others.

Sadly no one in that terminal was packing or if they were didn't react to the situation..
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems to me that handguns and other firearms are considered as being dangerous otherwise why the requirement to carry them in a locked case?
Theft.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Theft.
Theft is more of a governmental concern the more dangerous the item that may be stolen. The government doesn't worry about a whole bunch of checked-in screwdrivers and wrenches being stolen and used by the recipients of stolen property as much as it worries about a whole bunch of guns getting stolen and used by recipients of stolen property. It has to do with what is considered more dangerous and more lucrative in illicit trading.

If a nuclear warhead in a plane hold gets stolen, the government is going to have more concerns about that than if a small handgun, screwdriver or wrench in a plane hold gets stolen. Not all weapons and potential dual-use items are equally dangerous with all other weapons and potential dual-use items.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
I'm surprised their response isn't more "random" checks of bags/persons or more "gate checks".
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super80Fan
I'm surprised their response isn't more "random" checks of bags/persons or more "gate checks".
The classic TSA response would be to want to grope more passengers more extensively than before. That and to see what kind of heat they may be packing around the loins. Fortunately, this seems to be one of those times when the TSA won't try to ramp up its dog and pony show.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Theft.
Post #102.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Before accusing others of being "foolishly pedantic" perhaps you should just agree to disagree and move on.
On this, we agree. This thread has been truly bizarre, and in this sub forum that is quite an accomplishment. So, I'm out.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BSBD
On this, we agree. This thread has been truly bizarre, and in this sub forum that is quite an accomplishment. So, I'm out.
Agreed - I gave up
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:41 am

DHS's "response"?:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/01/11/...rport-security

SA Administrator Pete Neffenger and I call for Airport Operation Centers at the nation’s busiest airports.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BSBD
Just for clarity I never really understood the point you were trying to make.

I think everyone has recognized that a "gun" without ammo is not much of a threat. I think we all understand that the transport of a "gun" in a locked case is permitted. That the locked case doesn't really change the condition of the "gun" other than a slight decrease in potential ease of theft. And that none of this really makes a hoot in a hand basket on what happened at FLL.

What am I missing?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
And how would having an Airport Operations Center have changed the outcome of the FLL event? Just more people drawing a paycheck for little gain.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

And how would having an Airport Operations Center have changed the outcome of the FLL event? Just more people drawing a paycheck for little gain.
DHS management is still trying to create a career advancement model for employee morale and related purposes that includes yet more management type positions. A waste of money, if you ask me, were they to try a new thing at more places just because of this FLL shooting.

If airport police departments don't have a system in place to deal with active shooter incidents, real or imagined, then the police need to be better managed. More TSA and other DHS employees at airports is neither a pretty nor inexpensive solution to incidents that can happen even at school sporting events.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 12, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It would be a safe haven for the BDOs that some have suggested might be be more useful if they were actually put to work doing something, like checking IDs or stacking tubs.

It would expand the options for promotion-as-reward for favorite employees.

In most jobs, if you max out on the skills ladder, you max out. End of story. If you want more, you move to a new organization with greater growth opportunities. TSA wants to create high-pay/do-nothing jobs as a career path.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
It would be a safe haven for the BDOs that some have suggested might be be more useful if they were actually put to work doing something, like checking IDs or stacking tubs.

It would expand the options for promotion-as-reward for favorite employees.

In most jobs, if you max out on the skills ladder, you max out. End of story. If you want more, you move to a new organization with greater growth opportunities. TSA wants to create high-pay/do-nothing jobs as a career path.

Isn't that what TSA is already doing? The pay for the required jobs skills is excellent and it only goes up with each passing year.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Unfortunately, TSA invites exactly this criticism.

Consider:
TSA seems to be doing everything in its power to convey the idea that TSOs are not merely "civilians". It seems a bit odd, then, for an employee of TSA to say "well, we're just civilians and shouldn't be expected to act any differently during an emergency."

(And just to clarify: this is a criticism of TSA, not of you. Your agency has established an unreasonable image for you that you cannot possibly live up to. The fault is theirs, not yours.)
The armed TSA employees should respond differently, they have had the training, they are armed and it is part of their job to assess, engage and control a situation like this (as best they can). The uniform is no more bullet proof than the tshirt that guy over there is wearing.

I will neither agree nor disagree with you about the imaging of our organization - I will simply say there are aspects I agree with, and some I do not. Maybe in the wake of something like this, our upper echelon will examine some of their branding, some of their structure and make changes to benefit the passengers, as well as the employees. OTOH, maybe not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.