Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I don't understand how this is any different from an armed individual walking into the baggage claim area from the parking lot and firing. He just happened to get the gun from his luggage instead of his car. Air travel had nothing to do with this.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Why does anyone need to fly with machine guns in their checked bags? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to check any guns. They could ship them ahead of time to the nearest police station where they can be claimed. The police could also check their credentials / permits to see if they are legally allowed to have them at their destination.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I don't understand how this is any different from an armed individual walking into the baggage claim area from the parking lot and firing. He just happened to get the gun from his luggage instead of his car. Air travel had nothing to do with this.
I thought the guy checked the guns in on the plane? Didn't that plane fly? What do you mean air travel had nothing to do with it?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I thought the guy checked the guns in on the plane? Didn't that plane fly? What do you mean air travel had nothing to do with it?
What is the practical difference between shooting up baggage claim at his origination airport without ever going through security and shooting up baggage claim at his destination? Same end result. The fact that he checked a weapon and flew with it in reality didn't change anything except the location of the incident.

However, it will somehow cause a knee-jerk reaction which will slow down travel and make it more difficult, if not impossible, to travel with checked firearms.

And for the record, I have never fired a weapon and don't own any - this is purely principle for me. I have no dog in this fight aside from making my travel take longer for no good reason.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
What if he didn't come in from Canada, but from MSP instead (almost Canada)?

At what point after you land and pick up your bags do you stop being a passemger?
Why does the point of origin matter? A properly cased and declared firearm is permitted in "checked" baggage in the U.S., not sure about Canada. A similar event could happen at most any place where large numbers of people group up.

I'm a gun owner who thinks we as a country must find a way to keep guns out of the hands unstable people. Even then how do we ID those people without violating the rights of others?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
In the 9/11 spirit of blame Canada, the shooter apparently did fly in from SEA (even closer to Canada) via MSP.

If anyone flew out of NRT in the '80s when the local farmers were protesting the airport's construction and opening (and appropriation of farm land), there was indeed a security cordon around the airport whether you were approaching by road or rail.

It's been said long and often in FT by some that tougher security screening to airside will lead to strikes against soft targets on the unsecured side (waiting to get airside).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does anyone need to fly with machine guns in their checked bags? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to check any guns. They could ship them ahead of time to the nearest police station where they can be claimed. The police could also check their credentials / permits to see if they are legally allowed to have them at their destination.

Machine guns? Really?

What courier do you suggest people use to ship their "machine guns"?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

This is the truth but there will be calls to ban the check in guns sadly.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
TSA will use this to try to get more authority and to be armed and gun grabbers will use it to promote antigun sentiments.

Either way US citizens lose.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davie355
Maybe TSA will require all luggage containing firearms to be checked to the destination baggage office, where unclaimed and oversized bags are currently sent, so that some verification (not just ID, but e.g. whether the passenger is sober) can be performed before pickup.
I thought something along the same lines, except that it wouldn't be a sterile area but something more secured. I also think they will forbid the transportation of ammunition.

And in the end, extra expense, time and hassle will be the result..and those will bad intentions, will still find a way to carry out their atrocities.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
TSA will use this to try to get more authority and to be armed and gun grabbers will use it to promote antigun sentiments.

Either way US citizens lose.
^ and that IMO sums it up.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by catocony
There have been numerous airport shootings in the last 15 years. As long as none are in the "sterile area", TSA doesn't really have a say in it.
Don't you remember LAX shootings? The actual where the shooting at TBIT is.

Originally Posted by chollie
Agree completely. This has absolutely nothing to do with TSA.
Because TSA was so extremely busy upstairs at passengers checkpoints, but not in the baggage claim. TSA is not in the baggage claim. They already have a security camera. They had a camera everywhere.

At what point after you land and pick up your bags do you stop being a passemger?
Actually, he flew ANC-MSP-FLL today, but he didn't went to Canada. His gun was into checked bags, but they didn't find a terrorist gun. They could be security breach.

No, his gun was into checked bags, but not in the cabin aircraft. He actual flew ANC-MSP-FLL today. Because TSA was too extremely busy upstairs at security checkpoints. That's why TSA is not in the baggage claim. They had a camera everywhere.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
This is the truth but there will be calls to ban the check in guns sadly.
@TSA is already brimming over with calls to ban all guns on flights and/or move checkpoint screening back to the front doors of terminals or even off site.

If you want to know why we are still under the power and control of TSA, read some of the ignorant tweets there. It's enough to make one want to pound one's head.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rickg523
There will be the almost inevitable calls for all access to airport property be security-controlled. Remote drop off lots with shuttles.
Not that heeding such a call would have stopped this crazy attack.

I'm curious if this shooter had gotten PreCheck on his boarding passes for his ANC-MSP-FLL trip? It's not like it would have been his first time.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by petaluma1
If you want to know why we are still under the power and control of TSA, read some of the ignorant tweets there. It's enough to make one want to pound one's head.
"But... But ... TSA makes air travel safe!"

Personally I wouldn't fly with a firearm. Imagine the trouble if the airline looses your back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.