Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and baggage thievery

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

TSA and baggage thievery

A woman had a new Louis Vitton bag stolen from her luggage at MIA within the last few days. She has been in communication with both TSA and MIA over the theft.

Here's a link to her most recent Tweet about the incident. I am posting with her permission:

https://twitter.com/TByrd1177/status/798562006794194944

You will see that TSA told her in a Tweet that her bag "didn't alarm" and so went on its way. Once that was pointed out to TSA that yes, her bag was inspected, the tweet from TSA was deleted.

I think she has the CCTV coverage of the baggage screening but I can't open it for some reason.

Will be interesting to follow this and see how TSA tries to wriggle out of taking responsibility.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AskTSA doesn't have a clue and should be shut down. Way to much bad info coming out of that mess. Just another cover up for an incompetent TSA.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It has the potential to be a great tool, but there's no sign anyone is trying to make it work.

Whoever programs the bots to point people to website pages that have absolutely zero to do with the question asked should be fired. A professional would verify that the website link actually has anything to do with the question asked, and, if not, would follow-up to ensure that the website is updated for the next individual who goes there looking for answers.

I've seen people post, wondering about some of the questions asked, perhaps because the answers seem so obvious. A well-run organization would recognize that these folks are going to twitter because the website is such an incoherent mess. Instead, Ask TSA's bots and TSOs direct people to links that didn't answer the question in the first place. Questions also get asked because in spite of what the website might 'seem' to say, people have read stories of TSA defending the confiscation of Buzz Lightyear Grip Toys, exercise rollers, and cupcakes (notice how often people ask about cupcakes?)

Some of the language is atrocious: reading it is like fingernails on a blackboard. Completely unprofessional and condescending, even when accurate.

There's simply no excuse for conflicting or inaccurate answers. If the bot coder or the TSA employee answering doesn't know the answer, instead of using 'screener discretion' to fabricate an 'interpretation' of the rules, how about going back to the website? If you can't find the answer on the website and you don't know it yourself, then 1) find the actual answer in your SSI SOP, 2) update the website as appropriate, and 3) then post.

Of course, that only makes sense if you work in an environment where there are actual rules, not 'generally' guidelines that screeners are trained to ignore or 'interpret' at their discretion.

Seriously - how can any professional organization stand behind an idiotic answer that says that frozen turkeys should be checked because if they are not completely frozen, they will be confiscated at the checkpoint?

I wanted this tool to succeed. I think that if someone sends in a photo of something like a clearly labelled bottle of contact solution and AskTSA says it is allowed, then 99.9% that response should be honored at all checkpoints, all the time. The .1% when the item is still not allowed would be for a situation like a concealed weapon not shown in the photograph or a swab fail. What's the point of the tool if the answers are meaningless at the checkpoint? And then you get barked at and retaliated against by the screeners who complain that people don't read the rules before going to the airport.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Here are AskTSA's latest responses:

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/798601210773340160
and
https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/798601839751020544

TSA seems to deny that the bag was opened.

SMH!!!!

Last edited by petaluma1; Nov 15, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:19 pm

Another reason to leave valuables at home?
I wouldn't expect theft in the USA, but guess it happens. Did she happen to "look" like a good target for bags to be stolen? Not an excuse, but in all my flying over the decades, only once has a bag been lost and nothing was stolen. That bag was delivered 2.5 hrs away to the ski resort by the following morning.

Just curious.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
So, um, if the bag was stolen and still has not been recovered, how does she have the love note from it?

In addition, the claim she has possession of video of the baggage screening area and of her bag in particular is highly suspect not lest of which is because she hasn't mentioned having, or even requested, the video.

Having said all of that - AA should be able to quite quickly narrow down very closely to where/when her bag left the system - regardless of whether it was subjected to manual screening.

Keep us informed.....
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
So, um, if the bag was stolen and still has not been recovered, how does she have the love note from it?

In addition, the claim she has possession of video of the baggage screening area and of her bag in particular is highly suspect not lest of which is because she hasn't mentioned having, or even requested, the video.

Having said all of that - AA should be able to quite quickly narrow down very closely to where/when her bag left the system - regardless of whether it was subjected to manual screening.

Keep us informed.....
I believe the new Louis Vuitton bag was removed from the checked bag.

Yes, she did request the video.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It could be an attempted scam. It's possible she owns the shoes, but they were never in her bag.

TSA's love note means nothing. TSOs are free to use their discretion to cut TSA-recognized locks instead of opening them, and they are free to decide whether or not they want to be bothered putting a love note in a bag, whether or not they've just stolen something from that bag or just damaged the contents.

The thing is, TSA has a long record of dishonesty. Sorry, but it's true. This woman? I have no idea who she is or what her history is. If TSA's track record wasn't so poor and if I hadn't personally been hurt by TSA dishonesty, I might be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Instead, I take the same attitude TSA takes towards me: guilty until proven innocent. Unlike TSA, I base that assumption on an extensive documented history of dishonesty.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 15, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsdwe234sfd23
Another reason to leave valuables at home?
I wouldn't expect theft in the USA, but guess it happens. Did she happen to "look" like a good target for bags to be stolen? Not an excuse, but in all my flying over the decades, only once has a bag been lost and nothing was stolen. That bag was delivered 2.5 hrs away to the ski resort by the following morning.

Just curious.
With the TSA it certainly happens.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
With the TSA it certainly happens.
Airline baggage handlers have been known to steal from checked bags:

CNN:
Hidden cameras reveal airport workers stealing from luggage

<snip>

The problem has been so serious at JFK that in 2013, El Al Airlines set up a hidden camera in a baggage hold. The camera showed baggage handlers stealing items on flights bound for Israel... Six of those arrested pleaded guilty to possession of stolen property or petty larceny...

The high-profile case, though, didn't stop the thefts. Two more baggage handlers at JFK were arrested in 2014 after authorities said they stole two designer handbags from a suitcase, and then tried to sell them on eBay.
Then, in December, seven more JFK baggage handlers were charged with stealing valuables from checked luggage. The items were stolen from suitcases of passengers traveling to or from Hawaii, Japan, Johannesburg, London, Bangkok, Dubai, Milan and various U.S. cities.
In Miami, which aggressively goes after luggage thieves, police have arrested 31 baggage handlers and ramp workers since 2012, including six so far this year.
Police set up a hidden camera inside the belly of a plane last year and caught baggage handlers rifling through luggage and stealing various items.
Another hidden camera caught a baggage handler rummaging through bags in a secure luggage room inside the airport while a security guard looked the other way.

<snip>
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.amren.com/news/2012/10/co...s-very-common/

And we have TSA employees who made a lot of money stealing from the public. The lesson is to not put valuables of any kind in checked luggage and keep a close eye on everyone around you.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

This woman is still trying to find her Louis Vuitton bag and this tweet is very disturbing:

According to Carla Robinson @TSA, anyone has access to these
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ladies bag is now in the hands of another person. TSA denies responsibility for checked luggage security, poor security while being loaded and unloaded form airplanes, and there are few controls, if any, at baggage claims these days. About the only recourse is to file a claim with the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.