Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even when it comes to ETIAS going live and being generally required, it will still generally work for some US passport users to fly into the Schengen zone without having any “European ESTA” associated with the Schengen-bound traveler’s US passport. US-EU dual-citizens and some mix of US(-only) citizens will continue to be able to fly from say the US to Denmark on the US passports without an approved “European ESTA”. A flash of the acceptable documentation for an ETIAS-waiver alongside a US passport will work still for at least some US passport-using travelers to enter the Schengen area without any “European ESTA”.
Yes honestly both ways will work, it's a matter of preference, important thing is to enter respective destination with the corresponding passport (and in EU's exit control Case exit with it).
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:05 am

Brits and Americans hit with new €7 fee to travel to the EU from 2023, but some won't

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...e-eu-from-2022
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
ETIAS in 2022???

ETIAS info updates seems to be lacking…anyone have any projections on the way ahead?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by Apollosmom
ETIAS info updates seems to be lacking…anyone have any projections on the way ahead?
it has been announced it will go live in May 2023
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swiftaw
it has been announced it will go live in May 2023
It’s not going to be mandatory for at least some months thereafter. It’s been postponed into November 2023.

If only they were to realize that not only would it likely make a mess of summer 2023 travel but also lead to messes even after it goes live….. Unfortunately, “anything for security” always has its cheerleaders.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:52 pm

ETIAS Delayed

Catching up on news I missed, the EU Schengen Zone’s ETIAS program has been delayed until late 2023. This was roughly the equivalent of the US’s ESTA.

Does this mean that the EES (equivalent of US’s biometric entry and exit for foreign citizens) will also be delayed? Or will the two programs be implemented separately?

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...tion-system_en
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _kurt
Catching up on news I missed, the EU Schengen Zone’s ETIAS program has been delayed until late 2023. This was roughly the equivalent of the US’s ESTA.

Does this mean that the EES (equivalent of US’s biometric entry and exit for foreign citizens) will also be delayed? Or will the two programs be implemented separately?

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...tion-system_en
They are both delayed for implementation.

Already noted postponement here:

It’s not going to be mandatory for at least some months thereafter. It’s been postponed into November 2023.

If only they were to realize that not only would it likely make a mess of summer 2023 travel but also lead to messes even after it goes live….. Unfortunately, “anything for security” always has its cheerleaders.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...itizens-6.html
Spiff and _kurt like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:25 am

They are both delayed for implementation.
Thank you for the thread merge. Is there any publicly available article or document that confirms ETIAS and EES will be deployed simultaneously, or is it just sort of generally understood and assumed?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _kurt
Thank you for the thread merge. Is there any publicly available article or document that confirms ETIAS and EES will be deployed simultaneously, or is it just sort of generally understood and assumed?
They are simultaneously being delayed, but with regard to go-live they are not going to be simultaneous for both as far as I know. The indications were that go live wouldn’t even be simultaneous across all of the area, but not sure about the latest on that.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

They are simultaneously being delayed, but with regard to go-live they are not going to be simultaneous for both as far as I know. The indications were that go live wouldn’t even be simultaneous across all of the area, but not sure about the latest on that.
The question was whether there is a "publicly available article or document that confirms ETIAS and EES will be deployed simultaneously"?
_kurt and the810 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The current publicly available content on the EU website says EES is going live in May 2023 and ETIAS in November 2023. I don't believe it has ever been suggested they would go live simultaneously.
GUWonder, Xyzzy, _kurt and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy

This is going to get to be more of an issue once the EU requires an ETIAS (EU version of ESTA) arrives. At that point there will be a requirement for TATL travel for dual citizens of the US and the EU for one set of docs to leave and a different set of docs to arrive. If airlines still only have one place to enter data then it will need to be switched before any return.
How about this situation: I have a friend who is a dual US/EU citizen. He goes to the EU a few times a year - and carries his US passport, but enters Schengen with his national ID card (and shows his US passport to the airline when leaving US because they want to see a passport.

What happens once ETIAS is in place? He would show his US passport when leaving US - but since he doesn't want to carry his German passport as well, he might have a problem if the airline doesn't recognize his national ID. This situation seems analogous to, e.g., a non US citizen travelling to the US with a green card. So the airline system must be able to accommodate a passport + a residency document.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 22, 2022 at 4:04 am Reason: Fix BB code / formatting
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
How about this situation: I have a friend who is a dual US/EU citizen. He goes to the EU a few times a year - and carries his US passport, but enters Schengen with his national ID card (and shows his US passport to the airline when leaving US because they want to see a passport.

What happens once ETIAS is in place? He would show his US passport when leaving US - but since he doesn't want to carry his German passport as well, he might have a problem if the airline doesn't recognize his national ID. This situation seems analogous to, e.g., a non US citizen travelling to the US with a green card. So the airline system must be able to accommodate a passport + a residency document.
depends if the airline is willing if accept national ID. EU carrier might accept that.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

ETIAS exemption should not be confused with passport exemption for travel to other countries; nor should either of those be confused with passport exemption for entry on arrival to one or more countries.

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

When it comes to traveling to the EU/Schengen area, it is slated to work the same way it will for US passport users who have an affixed visa sticker from an EU/Schengen country or a residency card from an EU/Schengen country: US passport info loaded into the PNR with the EU/Schengen country visa/residency card/national ID being taken as proof of eligibility for waiver from ETIAS requirement.

Whenever ETIAS comes into becoming mandatory for most US visitors, I will likely still have trips to the EU/Schengen area exempted from the ETIAS requirement. I expect no problems in getting my ETIAS exemptions honored when dealing with any of the US or European airlines that are part of the major three global airline alliances.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2022 at 3:08 am
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:27 am

So as a dual US/EU citizen, travelling currently (no ETIAS) it's super easy since I just book my roundtrip ticket to EU with US passport and just use EU passport when entering/exiting EU. However, when ETIAS becomes required, I'm thinking I'll just buy/check-in the ticket to EU with EU passport and then on the way back to US, show the US passport in order not to show any ESTA. I guess you could do the other way around as well. Unless airlines update their systems so one can check-in / provide info of two passports, which I'm surprised is not something they have changed. I do have a bit of a complication because my names on the two passports are not exactly the same (first and middle names are switched but spelling all same) , not an error, just when immigrated to US, I have used middle name as first name so in US legally that's how it got established.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.