Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The update timelines have EES going in place first, followed by ETIAS. ETIAS is to be staggered into different implementation phases after EES is up and running. I’m assuming ETIAS will be staggered by third country/third country groupings because they may not trust the IT setup to hold up very well under a lot of demand.

I am curious what they will do with Gibraltar red card holders after ETIAS gets rolled out, as that red card Is a pass to be allowed into Spain without passport checks/questioning if only going into Spain but otherwise they are to be subject to EES+ETIAS if going from Gibraltar to Spain to go beyond Spain within the Schengen zone.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Potentially delayed to 2024? The official site now says:
More than just potentially delayed to 2024 -- it has now been publicly announced by the DG Migration that ETIAS will be delayed until 2024.
Spiff and iamflyer like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

EES and ETIAS are to be further delayed. The bureaucracies and government contractors should be very concerned about airport meltdowns if trying to do this fully before or during the 2024 Olympics.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG, the start of it has been punted to 2024, which will mean after the Olympics, and even if this does happens means that it will not actually really have any effect until 2025, as there is a grace period baked in for when it is finally implemented................exactly what I said months ago. I would not be surprised if it slips another month or two. I again stand by my thoughts that if Romania gets into VWP, plus certain NATO and geopolitical realities, it may launch with US passport holders not an issue.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EES and ETIAS are to be further delayed. The bureaucracies and government contractors should be very concerned about airport meltdowns if trying to do this fully before or during the 2024 Olympics.
How does the EES/ETIAS delay stack up against that of Real ID and was ESTA plagued as well?
Old May 4, 2023, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean
How does the EES/ETIAS delay stack up against that of Real ID and was ESTA plagued as well?
Not well enough compared to REAL ID “required” for air travel, as EES/ETIAS is not going to be delayed for eternity despite my desires to see it be mothballed forever. The vested interests and their backers will not let these supposedly Frontex- and Europol-supporting/supported projects collapse, as they want what they see as the deliverables from getting up such a system and keeping it producing thereafter.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
U.S. Passport Holders Will Need a Visa to Travel to Europe in 2024

[Searching the forum didn't show any existing thread about the latest developments. Apologies if such a thread already exists.]

U.S. Passport Holders Will Need a Visa to Travel to Europe in 2024 [July 25, 2023]

Starting in 2024, U.S. passport holders traveling to Europe will need to apply for authorization through the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) before their visit.

What Is ETIAS and How Does It Work?
ETIAS is an electronic travel authorization linked to a traveler’s passport. It grants short-term entry to European countries for up to 90 days within any 180-day period. However, an ETIAS does not guarantee automatic entry. Upon arrival, a border guard will verify if you meet the entry conditions.

How Much Does It Cost and How to Apply?
To apply for an ETIAS, you can fill out the application form on the official ETIAS website or use the mobile application. The cost of applying is $7.79 , but some travelers may be exempt from paying this fee. Make sure you read about the application requirements and payment exemptions before proceeding.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The headline is not technically correct. It's a small technical thing and may be of small practical difference, but an ETIAS is not actually a visa, and ETIAS is for pax that are exempted from having a visa. Although, to make it more fun, er confusing: some people from visa-exempt countries might still have to get a visa and an ETIAS, and some pax from visa-required countries might not be required to get an ETIAS at all. There is more but my head is spinning. GUWonder is probably well positioned to 'splain it all. I am thinking to skip Europe altogether and staycation in the DPRK where it is not so complicated. I hear the movies are awesome.

Fun fun fun!
Xyzzy, tecate55 and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
This, from the FAQ's on the .eu website, is not nearly as definitive that ETIAS will (finally) be up and running in 2024 (bolding mine...)

"It is expected that the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) will be operational in 2024."

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/faqs-etias_en

And, yeah, not a Visa.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
The reporting on this has been really irksome. One random Facebook post popped up that was a news article about it from a local ABC (I think) affiliate that said something like “ETIAS IS REQUIRED STARTING TODAY” but the link in the first comment in their post says nothing of the sort. The comments were many puzzled people saying we just traveled to Europe today and nothing was asked of us. Even on Reddit’s passports subreddit a couple of days ago someone posted the news about it and it seems like many people only heard of it the past few days.

Is there a reason that the news is talking about ETIAS now very suddenly? Because I don’t see any important updates or any piece of news on it.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Nayef
The reporting on this has been really irksome. One random Facebook post popped up that was a news article about it from a local ABC (I think) affiliate that said something like “ETIAS IS REQUIRED STARTING TODAY” but the link in the first comment in their post says nothing of the sort. The comments were many puzzled people saying we just traveled to Europe today and nothing was asked of us. Even on Reddit’s passports subreddit a couple of days ago someone posted the news about it and it seems like many people only heard of it the past few days.

Is there a reason that the news is talking about ETIAS now very suddenly? Because I don’t see any important updates or any piece of news on it.
Probably one news site had a slow news day and everyone else decided to run with it?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nayef
The reporting on this has been really irksome. One random Facebook post popped up that was a news article about it from a local ABC (I think) affiliate that said something like “ETIAS IS REQUIRED STARTING TODAY” but the link in the first comment in their post says nothing of the sort.
ABC= Always Be Confused
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It's been postponed about 6 times by now, anyone want to start a pool on which starts first, ETIAS or REAL-ID?
miamiflyer8 and tecate55 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Probably one news site had a slow news day and everyone else decided to run with it?
Even TPG drank the not-update Kool-Aid. I thought it's been common knowledge for a while that ETIAS is going to be a thing and that it got pushed to 2024.
SPN Lifer and lindros2 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Anyone else wonder if this will reduce EU travel?
my passport expires in 2025, so I’ll have to do it twice in a year.

This feels like going to China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.