Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lastcallfordeparture
No, NOT ALL Canadians need to apply for it.
I'm Canadian but it happens that I'm also Austrian (thanks to my grandma, even if I've never ever been there). So, if I apply for the Austrian passport and travel with it, I wouldn't need a ETIAS to travel to Europe.
That's why the subject is a bit misleading and it's case by case. Not all non-EU citizens (Canada, USA, Australia, etc) need this Electronic Authorization.
You could also say that Canadians not travelling to Europe won't need to apply for it
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is foolish. If you have another passport guess what You're a CITIZEN of that country, and in actual fact generally while in that second country you are only a citizen of that country, and what you say would apply to Australian Austrians, Malian Austrians, etc etc..................But you do know that with extremely limited exceptions Austria DOES NOT allow dual citizenship and will require actual proof of you renouncing your Canadian citizenship, so if you do this you will actually just be Austrian............and you will not be able to live and work in Canada unless you go through a lot of hoops and costs that will be many thousands of times whatever you would be saving in ETIAS fees!
Xyzzy, Section 107 and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by hfly
That is foolish. If you have another passport guess what You're a CITIZEN of that country, and in actual fact generally while in that second country you are only a citizen of that country, and what you say would apply to Australian Austrians, Malian Austrians, etc etc..................But you do know that with extremely limited exceptions Austria DOES NOT allow dual citizenship and will require actual proof of you renouncing your Canadian citizenship, so if you do this you will actually just be Austrian............and you will not be able to live and work in Canada unless you go through a lot of hoops and costs that will be many thousands of times whatever you would be saving in ETIAS fees!
I mostly agree with you but do have to make a clarification/distinction of your statement, "If you have another passport guess what You're a CITIZEN of that country." This is true for most people, but definitely not all. Not everyone carrying a country's passport is a citizen of that country (and no, I am not inferring Jason Bourne and his suitcase full of passports...!). It all depends upon the law/rules of the country in question and why/how/when it issues passports. The most common situation is that a person is a national of a country and carries that country's passport but is not a citizen of the country. For example, persons from American Samoa, or persons who were born in certain time periods in Guam, Puerto Rico or the Philippines, are all US Nationals and may be issued a US passport but are not citizens.

I expect many (most?) countries have similar national v citizen situations.

This website gives a decent enough explanation: Citizenship vs Nationality - What is the Difference in 2023? (immi-usa.com)

The world is a very complicated place.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

While some natural deviation form the subject matter of the thread is perfectly acceptable, please let's keep the focus of this thread on ETIAS and not run off on tangents by discussing the differences between citizenship and nationality.

Future off-topic posts or content will be summarily deleted without further notice.

You are welcome to start a new thread debating differences between citizenship and nationality.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:56 pm

No, Not all non-EU citizens (Canada, USA, Australia, etc) need this Electronic Authorization.
It’s true that not all [non-EU] citizens need it. It’s also true, however, that all non-[EU citizens] need it. You’re the former but not the latter in this scenario.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, SPG, ClubPremier
Originally Posted by michab
It’s true that not all [non-EU] citizens need it. It’s also true, however, that all non-[EU citizens] need it. You’re the former but not the latter in this scenario.
Not really. The point is that you can be en EU-citizen and on the same time be a non-EU citizen. Both are not mutually exclusive events.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, SPG, ClubPremier
What you mention about Austria not accepting dual citizenship, is correct for born Austrians. If I am born in Austria and i get a second citizenship, at least I obtained an exception/permit, I'd lose my Austrian citizenship. However that law doesn't apply to Austrian born abroad. Typical example is when one of your parents is Austrian and you born let say in USA. You're American by birth without even asking and then you get Austrian citizenship throught your parent.In this case, you don't need to renounce to your American citizenship.
You can find an easy explanation here: https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/au...-austria-51811

Now, regarding ETIAS, once you acquire Austrian citizenship you won't need to apply for ETIAS no matter what other citizenships you have.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Now, regarding ETIAS, once you acquire Austrian citizenship you won't need to apply for ETIAS no matter what other citizenships you have.
If your citizenship is American and you live in the US, it is required by the US that you use your American passport for your reservation for leaving and entering the country. I suppose that you can show your EU passport instead of the ETIAS form?
Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If your citizenship is American and you live in the US, it is required by the US that you use your American passport for your reservation for leaving and entering the country. I suppose that you can show your EU passport instead of the ETIAS form?
Then obviously anyone with a EU passport does not need an ETIAS.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:42 pm

Not really. The point is that you can be en EU-citizen and on the same time be a non-EU citizen. Both are not mutually exclusive events.
You can be both an EU citizen and a [non-EU] citizen. As opposed to being a non-[EU citizen], which means your citizenship(s) is/are all non-EU.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No lastcall, that is not what I said, I said that except for, "extremely limited exceptions". You have names one, another is being given special permission if you are deemd to be someone of significance to Austria (Arnold Schwarzenneger, and Chistoph Waltz come to mind), also if you can prove that you or you ancestors were persecuted by the Nazis, you too can claim it. Hence why I wrote EXTREMELY LIMITED EXCEPTIONS. BTW, if you are planning o getting Austrian citizenship from your Grandmother and your parent does not have it (or is deceased) you are not even getting that (unless they were persecuted).
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
No, ETIAS Won’t Become Operational in 2024, EU Sources Say

We had initially hoped for the EES to become operational by the end of this year or, at the latest, the beginning of the next year. Due to unforeseen delays, it has become evident that this timeline is unattainable. As a result, the implementation of the ETIAS has been rescheduled to May 2025, with the possibility of further postponement.
Spiff, GUWonder, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well then half of my 50/50 has come true, pushed to 2025, and likely 2026, Now we will see what happens after this Thursday/Friday regarding VWP, Israel is expected to enter, and if t hat happens mefeels that Bulgaria and Romania are less than 18 months out..........and I have written extensively about the possibilities.
Spiff and tecate55 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:54 am

phew, one more reason to delay my application for the EU passport I'm technically eligible for.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I'm a citizen of US and Spain. It's really easy basically you check-in using the passport of the destination (So when flying to Europe, I use Spain when flying to US I use US. You absolutely do not have to use US passport when leaving the US as you won't have an I-94 record upon entry to match up with, which is the reason foreigners need to leave on the same passport they enter with.

From then on it's basically just present the passport of the country enforcing. So I use Spain for Schengen exit immigration and then US at CBP. Since US has no exit immigration going back it's just Spanish passport all the way.

It's really not that hard.

Well then half of my 50/50 has come true, pushed to 2025, and likely 2026, Now we will see what happens after this Thursday/Friday regarding VWP, Israel is expected to enter, and if t hat happens mefeels that Bulgaria and Romania are less than 18 months out..........and I have written extensively about the possibilities.
It seems they're pretty close to joining Schengen (also welcome news to Greece I suppose to have a truck route with no border crossings to the rest of the EU) which would probably ratchet up the pressure quite a bit.
seawolf, SPN Lifer and Ari like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2023 at 6:59 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the edit function. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.