FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:46 pm
lastcallfordeparture

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, SPG, ClubPremier
Originally Posted by hfly
That is foolish. If you have another passport guess what You're a CITIZEN of that country, and in actual fact generally while in that second country you are only a citizen of that country, and what you say would apply to Australian Austrians, Malian Austrians, etc etc..................But you do know that with extremely limited exceptions Austria DOES NOT allow dual citizenship and will require actual proof of you renouncing your Canadian citizenship, so if you do this you will actually just be Austrian............and you will not be able to live and work in Canada unless you go through a lot of hoops and costs that will be many thousands of times whatever you would be saving in ETIAS fees!
What you mention about Austria not accepting dual citizenship, is correct for born Austrians. If I am born in Austria and i get a second citizenship, at least I obtained an exception/permit, I'd lose my Austrian citizenship. However that law doesn't apply to Austrian born abroad. Typical example is when one of your parents is Austrian and you born let say in USA. You're American by birth without even asking and then you get Austrian citizenship throught your parent.In this case, you don't need to renounce to your American citizenship.
You can find an easy explanation here: https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/au...-austria-51811

Now, regarding ETIAS, once you acquire Austrian citizenship you won't need to apply for ETIAS no matter what other citizenships you have.