Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by lastcallfordeparture
What you mention about Austria not accepting dual citizenship, is correct for born Austrians. If I am born in Austria and i get a second citizenship, at least I obtained an exception/permit, I'd lose my Austrian citizenship. However that law doesn't apply to Austrian born abroad. Typical example is when one of your parents is Austrian and you born let say in USA. You're American by birth without even asking and then you get Austrian citizenship throught your parent.In this case, you don't need to renounce to your American citizenship.
You can find an easy explanation here: https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/au...-austria-51811

Now, regarding ETIAS, once you acquire Austrian citizenship you won't need to apply for ETIAS no matter what other citizenships you have.
It doesn't matter where you are born. If you are born in Austria to let's say an Austrian and a Foreign national, you have the two nationalities from birth. If you are born to Austrian parent(s) in a Jus Soli country like US or Canada, you have American / Austrian nationalities from birth. If you are Austrian national from birth and your parent naturalizes thus you automatically getting that foreign nationality as a child you generally won't lose it (just like in German nationality law). And of course, you can also apply to retain your citizenship if you are an adult and naturalizing for a second citizenship.

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'm a citizen of US and Spain. It's really easy basically you check-in using the passport of the destination (So when flying to Europe, I use Spain when flying to US I use US. You absolutely do not have to use US passport when leaving the US as you won't have an I-94 record upon entry to match up with, which is the reason foreigners need to leave on the same passport they enter with.

From then on it's basically just present the passport of the country enforcing. So I use Spain for Schengen exit immigration and then US at CBP. Since US has no exit immigration going back it's just Spanish passport all the way.

It's really not that hard.

It seems they're pretty close to joining Schengen (also welcome news to Greece I suppose to have a truck route with no border crossings to the rest of the EU) which would probably ratchet up the pressure quite a bit.
If your names match exactly in both passports then yeah that approach should always work. There are cases sometimes that names may differ because of native spelling or first/middle name being switched, so in those cases, it's more complicated, since you need to buy the ticket with one of the spelling variants.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by simpleSnow
If your names match exactly in both passports then yeah that approach should always work. There are cases sometimes that names may differ because of native spelling or first/middle name being switched, so in those cases, it's more complicated, since you need to buy the ticket with one of the spelling variants.
My names are actually different (the US passport doesn't include the second surname) and I've had exactly zero problems with it ever. Of course I always make sure to book the ticket using only my first surname unless I'm just going to be using my Spanish passport for the trip.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:25 am

My names are actually different (the US passport doesn't include the second surname) and I've had exactly zero problems with it ever. Of course I always make sure to book the ticket using only my first surname unless I'm just going to be using my Spanish passport for the trip.
Oh interesting, and you are able to online check-in with your Spanish passport then?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by simpleSnow
Oh interesting, and you are able to online check-in with your Spanish passport then?
With either passport. I can do it going both ways. Though as you mentioned if first /middle were reversed or something I suspect it might be different but I would imagine the systems are used to people omitting one or multiple of their legal names in reservations. Countries like Portugal where the legal names can be ludicrously long come to mind.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:47 am

With either passport. I can do it going both ways. Though as you mentioned if first /middle were reversed or something I suspect it might be different but I would imagine the systems are used to people omitting one or multiple of their legal names in reservations. Countries like Portugal where the legal names can be ludicrously long come to mind.
Ah I see, that's true. First/Middle reversed I think will be more problematic with online check-in. This is why pre-ETIAS it doesn't matter, I just buy ticket with US passport and use EU passport to enter, but with ETIAS, now I probably can't online check-in for EU bound flights and have to always get a manual verification, which really sucks.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 1:04 pm

Well we have a new date! Spring of 2025
https://www.axios.com/2023/10/20/eur...nts-2025-etias

It seems this one is more definite.
SPN Lifer, Jaclyn, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Love this forum. Just Googled "Flyertalk+ETIAS" to find out whether my January trip would need ETIAS, and BINGO, the answer was just posted!

Thanks!
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Love this forum. Just Googled "Flyertalk+ETIAS" to find out whether my January trip would need ETIAS, and BINGO, the answer was just posted!

Thanks!
That's our job , we are travel nerds
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh please! It was set to be implemented in 2020, then 2022, then 2023, then 2024, and the newest guidance is 2025, but not even clear of it is Jan 1? First quarter, end of May, or end of the year. So if start with only a half dozen test countries when it starts, as has often been routes for the first six months? This can very easily slip to 2026, or whenever and nothing is really set.
LupineChemist and tecate55 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Oh please! It was set to be implemented in 2020, then 2022, then 2023, then 2024, and the newest guidance is 2025, but not even clear of it is Jan 1? First quarter, end of May, or end of the year. So if start with only a half dozen test countries when it starts, as has often been routes for the first six months? This can very easily slip to 2026, or whenever and nothing is really set.
Taking bets on what gets implemented first

ETIAS or needing Real ID for TSA in the US.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:33 am

Taking bets on what gets implemented first

ETIAS or needing Real ID for TSA in the US.
I mean Real ID is more ahead, since all states issue Real ID it's just about TSA enforcing it. The EU one is more complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.