Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated: EU To Require Electronic Travel Authorization [ETIAS] for non-EU citizens

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by aidy
Why should we pay $14 for every 2 years and not have the same imposed on incoming?
What is being proposed is not reciprocity because it is a blanket approach applying to many countries, not just US visitors.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I've given this some thought. With the existence of the Schengen area, how can this necessarily be enforced? More specifically, with the inclusion of Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, would it not just be possible to enter the Schengen area through one of these countries (unless this is a prerequisite for remaining in the Schengen area, which seems rather strange, diplomatically speaking) and then not have to bother with the ETA? And would travelers to Ireland or Croatia, which aren't part of the Schengen zone, need this?

So many questions
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by pewpew
I've given this some thought. With the existence of the Schengen area, how can this necessarily be enforced? More specifically, with the inclusion of Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, would it not just be possible to enter the Schengen area through one of these countries (unless this is a prerequisite for remaining in the Schengen area, which seems rather strange, diplomatically speaking) and then not have to bother with the ETA? And would travelers to Ireland or Croatia, which aren't part of the Schengen zone, need this?

So many questions
No reason why non-EU Schengen countries should have any issues with this: they already use SIS and VIS, and can all issue and handle Schengen Visas. This probably builds on top of existing systems. (Moreover the press release talks about Schengen, not EU.)

Similarly: non-Schengen countries handle all of their immigration by themselves, they won't care about Schengen specific rules. Croatia is admittedly a bit more special, I'm going to guess they won't particularly care about ETIAS.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by televisor
No reason why non-EU Schengen countries should have any issues with this: they already use SIS and VIS, and can all issue and handle Schengen Visas. This probably builds on top of existing systems. (Moreover the press release talks about Schengen, not EU.)

Similarly: non-Schengen countries handle all of their immigration by themselves, they won't care about Schengen specific rules. Croatia is admittedly a bit more special, I'm going to guess they won't particularly care about ETIAS.
Ireland being a case of EU non-Schengen. Norway being a case of Schengen non-EU.

ETIAS is to be a Schengen thing, but this is being pushed by the EU as a whole.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Ireland being a case of EU non-Schengen. Norway being a case of Schengen non-EU.

ETIAS is to be a Schengen thing, but this is being pushed by the EU as a whole.
That's because EU are in charge of Schengen. But the rules only apply to Schengen members, and to all Schengen members.

The formal ETIAS proposal only talks about Schengen. UK and Ireland are explicitly excluded in that proposal. The non EU cases are also mentioned as being covered since this is a Schengen rule.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
... union but further control migration -- even migration from and within the EU. The UK doesn't seem all alone in that.
How are they going to control migration within the EU? ETIAS would apply to entries into the Schengen area and not traveling within Schengen area. The nationals of EU-members, that are not part of Schengen, would have to be treated as nationals of the EU-member state they try to enter.

In other words, an Irish national flying to Berlin would be treated upon arrival like a German and not require an ETIAS authorization. This would apply the other way as well, if Ireland decides to adopt a similar system.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
How are they going to control migration within the EU? ETIAS would apply to entries into the Schengen area and not traveling within Schengen area. The nationals of EU-members, that are not part of Schengen, would have to be treated as nationals of the EU-member state they try to enter.

In other words, an Irish national flying to Berlin would be treated upon arrival like a German and not require an ETIAS authorization. This would apply the other way as well, if Ireland decides to adopt a similar system.
Not all of the EU is in the Schengen zone. And even EU citizens can be hassled on crossing into or out of an EU country -- Schengen or not -- by local national authorities. For example, the U.K. uses APIS data to receive even some EU nationals on arrival; and some of those arrival passengers are then sent packing back to elsewhere in the EU.

An Irish soccer hooligan arriving into Berlin from the U.K. for a soccer match in Germany can be denied entry into Berlin in a way not applicable to a German soccer hooligan on the same flight coming for the same match.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2016 at 3:56 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by televisor
That's because EU are in charge of Schengen. But the rules only apply to Schengen members, and to all Schengen members.

The formal ETIAS proposal only talks about Schengen. UK and Ireland are explicitly excluded in that proposal. The non EU cases are also mentioned as being covered since this is a Schengen rule.
Wasn't there a conversation about post-Brexit retaliation if ETIAS applied to British passport users in the main? A reciprocal move by the U.K. Government that hits EU citizens would have to get a fix around Ireland remaining in the EU and being a part of the Ireland-UK CTA.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:16 pm

Wasn't there a conversation about post-Brexit retaliation if ETIAS applied to British passport users in the main? A reciprocal move by the U.K. Government that hits EU citizens would have to get a fix around Ireland remaining in the EU and being a part of the Ireland-UK CTA.
I honestly don't think the EU will care. Prosecco all over again. (Not that an EU exit is by any means guaranteed, judging by current trends.)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pewpew

So many questions
The Schengen treaty is really what is being discussed I believe. However some people think EU=Schengen. AFAIK all signatories to Schengen are required to adopt certain requirements. The process for making it a requirement I'm not versed in. I'm not sure the Nordic countries even can stop it from becoming a requirement. (They're not full EU members)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The Schengen treaty is really what is being discussed I believe. However some people think EU=Schengen. AFAIK all signatories to Schengen are required to adopt certain requirements. The process for making it a requirement I'm not versed in. I'm not sure the Nordic countries even can stop it from becoming a requirement. (They're not full EU members)
The actual proposal explicitly lists non-EU Schengen countries as part of the Schengen aquis, and explicitly excludes those with Schengen opt-outs (UK, Ireland, etc). In other words: yes, it's Schengen.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is the Schengen treaty being revised to explicitly include ETIAS? Not to my knowledge. Are the Schengen countries to act collectively under the treaty, including with regard to implementing ETIAS as a standard? That's the idea behind how this proposal is supposed to work.

Except for Iceland and Norway, the Nordic countries are EU members for legal and all related practical purposes under the involved treaties/international law. Except
for Norway and Iceland, the Nordic countries are full EU members under the legal agreements that determine who is an EU member state. Having some autonomous/semi-autonomous areas and/or having negotiated opt-outs or delayed implementation of some aspects of EU "requirements"? That doesn't make an EU state less of an EU member state. In other words, except for Norway and Iceland, the Nordic countries are full EU members.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is the Schengen treaty being revised to explicitly include ETIAS? Not to my knowledge. Are the Schengen countries to act collectively under the treaty, including with regard to implementing ETIAS as a standard? That's the idea behind how this proposal is supposed to work.

This is what I was meaning basically, but had hard time describing it.

Except for Iceland and Norway, the Nordic countries are EU members for legal and all related practical purposes under the involved treaties/international law. Except
for Norway and Iceland, the Nordic countries are full EU members under the legal agreements that determine who is an EU member state. Having some autonomous/semi-autonomous areas and/or having negotiated opt-outs or delayed implementation of some aspects of EU "requirements"? That doesn't make an EU state less of an EU member state. In other words, except for Norway and Iceland, the Nordic countries are full EU members.

When I was referring to Nordic I was meaning those outside the EU. ie Norway and Iceland. EU members get a full say/veto power depending on the issue so could stop this. Norway/Iceland basically get told what to do and technically have no say over if it gets approved or not. One of the reasons some in those 2 countries don't like the current setup.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
When I was referring to Nordic I was meaning those outside the EU. ie Norway and Iceland. EU members get a full say/veto power depending on the issue so could stop this. Norway/Iceland basically get told what to do and technically have no say over if it gets approved or not. One of the reasons some in those 2 countries don't like the current setup.

That's the price they have to pay for wanting to stay OUT of the EU but still be IN Schengen. Join the club, you'll have a say. If you're just having lunch in the club, you have no say in the club rules.

Britons will have to understand this soon as well (not Schengen, but generally in things EU related)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

That's the price they have to pay for wanting to stay OUT of the EU but still be IN Schengen. Join the club, you'll have a say. If you're just having lunch in the club, you have no say in the club rules.

Britons will have to understand this soon as well (not Schengen, but generally in things EU related)
I think it's more like agreeing to the rules to goto the club, but then being told how to act at home. To bring it OT, this part of reason I don't see this happening without fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.