Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
There is something wrong with this woman, as everyone here has agreed and pointed out. Has she no family, no one to take her in and keep her from doing this repeatedly? I am honestly at a loss.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ysolde
There is something wrong with this woman, as everyone here has agreed and pointed out. Has she no family, no one to take her in and keep her from doing this repeatedly? I am honestly at a loss.
Actually, she has 3 brothers, but they are not interesting her. They doesn't want see her again.

Yes, she does always repeatedly. She trying to go to airports again and she's trying sneak onto a plane without a ticket. She had too many trespass warnings. She doesn't listen to the judges, lawyers, and psychiatrist, as well. Every time she was being caught by police, TSA, airlines as well as airport employees.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jails are tough places with plenty of angry people. Seems Hartman is being held in jail instead of a mental health facility and has been attacked by another inmate.

'Serial stowaway' beaten in jail after she was imprisoned, despite calls for her to be treated in community
The “serial stowaway”, Marilyn Hartman, has been beaten up inside a Chicago jail.

Ms Hartman is currently serving time in Cook County Jail for violating her probation.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Jails are tough places with plenty of angry people. Seems Hartman is being held in jail instead of a mental health facility and has been attacked by another inmate.

'Serial stowaway' beaten in jail after she was imprisoned, despite calls for her to be treated in community
This is terrible. I dislike her attempting to circumvent security, and I was hoping she would get the help she needs in order to help her move forward in her life. Prisons are indeed tough places.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsoltso
This is terrible. I dislike her attempting to circumvent security, and I was hoping she would get the help she needs in order to help her move forward in her life. Prisons are indeed tough places.
Yes, that was horrible! She had too many problems. She was beaten up by another inmate. She need her help. Yes! It's time to move forward. She doesn't like to stay in jail forever. She should be in mental health facility, not in Cook County Jail. She doesn't belongs there.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't she actually circumvent TSA's 31 Flavors Security on more than one occasion? A person with no known training in evasion tactics?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:05 am

Didn't she actually circumvent TSA's 31 Flavors Security on more than one occasion? A person with no known training in evasion tactics?
Of course. Doing that, is what began many of her troubles in the first place.

Just because someone has had no training at something, does not necessarily equate to them being "not good" at something. Some of the smartest people I know have not had official training for specific skill sets, but are really quite good at those individual skill sets - in some cases, good enough to make serious money, and even go on to teach others how to do that skillset.

Hopefully, she will get the help she needs, and TSA has learned a thing or two from her previous experiences with us.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should we donate frequent flyer miles and get her a one-way ticket to another city? That would solve the problem for our city . . .

Or is this stowaway dumping?

[/flyertalk humor]
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Should we donate frequent flyer miles and get her a one-way ticket to another city? That would solve the problem for our city . . .

Or is this stowaway dumping?

[/flyertalk humor]
No, you can't donate the FF miles to her. She still banned ORD, MDW, Greyhound bus and Amtrak. She can not go to airports without a ticket. She can not be off her ankle monitoring.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Just because someone has had no training at something, does not necessarily equate to them being "not good" at something. Some of the smartest people I know have not had official training for specific skill sets, but are really quite good at those individual skill sets - in some cases, good enough to make serious money, and even go on to teach others how to do that skillset.

Hopefully, she will get the help she needs, and TSA has learned a thing or two from her previous experiences with us.
Of course, a corollary to that is that just because someone has been trained at a national academy and is given $8 billion a year doesn't necessarily equate to them being even remotely competent at something. Some of the dumbest people I have known have had extensive training for specific skill sets, but are really total nincompoops at those individual skill sets (and could not care less about that) - in some cases, they still make serious money, and go on to spread their incompetence and apathy to others like a disease.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I agree with the fact that some people are good at doing things without training I also believe that so called experts sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. I strongly believe that TSA security policies focused on doing the wrong things creating weaknesses exploited by people like Ms Hartman. Attention given to things like LGA's and waste of resources on voodoo science stuff detracts from doing real security.

Ms Hartman demonstrated, very effectively, that anyone can breach TSA and gain entry to the sterile area given a few tries. I seriously doubt that Ms Hartman is the only person that has breached TSA. The problem will be what happens when a person with nefarious intentions does it.

Unfortunately Ms Hartman has fallen into the criminal justice system instead of the mental health system which concerns me about her future overall well being.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Of course, a corollary to that is that just because someone has been trained at a national academy and is given $8 billion a year doesn't necessarily equate to them being even remotely competent at something. Some of the dumbest people I have known have had extensive training for specific skill sets, but are really total nincompoops at those individual skill sets (and could not care less about that) - in some cases, they still make serious money, and go on to spread their incompetence and apathy to others like a disease.
I agree with you 100%, it can be applied equally across all spectrums of government and business - both thought chains.

While I agree with the fact that some people are good at doing things without training I also believe that so called experts sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. I strongly believe that TSA security policies focused on doing the wrong things creating weaknesses exploited by people like Ms Hartman. Attention given to things like LGA's and waste of resources on voodoo science stuff detracts from doing real security.

Ms Hartman demonstrated, very effectively, that anyone can breach TSA and gain entry to the sterile area given a few tries. I seriously doubt that Ms Hartman is the only person that has breached TSA. The problem will be what happens when a person with nefarious intentions does it.

Unfortunately Ms Hartman has fallen into the criminal justice system instead of the mental health system which concerns me about her future overall well being.
Policy and application will always have room for improvement, and I hope that we as an organization have learned a thing or two from Ms. Hartman and her activities.

I also agree that the penal system is not where this person belongs. She needs treatment, and it needs to be consistent for her well-being (and by extension, the well-being of others around her). Sadly, I do not see a push to make that the case.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 10, 2020 at 3:25 pm Reason: FT Rule 14: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She was tried and it did not work. She was tried to get a treatment. She already went to mental health facility before.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
She was tried and it did not work. She was tried to get a treatment. She already went to mental health facility before.
I understand she was in a mental health facility and later discharged. Then she went on to violate terms of her probation. Still, this lady does not belong in a prison but in a mental health facility. To me she has demonstrated the inability to function on her own and has no one else to supervise her. Sometimes people just need to be housed in a safe environment. Prisons aren't safe for some people.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I understand she was in a mental health facility and later discharged. Then she went on to violate terms of her probation. Still, this lady does not belong in a prison but in a mental health facility. To me she has demonstrated the inability to function on her own and has no one else to supervise her. Sometimes people just need to be housed in a safe environment. Prisons aren't safe for some people.
Right! She doesn't belongs there. She doesn't want to stay in jail forever. She doesn't listen to the judges, lawyers and psychiatrist. She doesn't understand why she wants to go to airports. Airports is not safe! She can not go near ORD or MDW property. She still banned all airports from around of the United States. She need take a medication. She must stay on her medication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.