Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The last place Marilyn Hartman should be is in a county jail. Being mentally ill isn't a crime although I realize her actions, which she can't control, have been illegal. Why she isn't in a secure mental health facility is beyond my understanding.
Yes, that's right. Where she is belongs. She belongs jail. She still not listen to the judge or psychiatrist. She doesn't take her medication. She will never learn her lesson. She won't change her behavior. She have too many problems. She cannot to go to airports anymore. I just don't understand why does she keep doing it?? She will not stop! She have stop going to an airports.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It occurs to me--maybe the TSA should hire her. Use her as a penetration tester.
Boraxo and chollie like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It occurs to me--maybe the TSA should hire her. Use her as a penetration tester.
The last thing TSA wants is to have Ada Quonset prove once again how incompetent they are at preventing unauthorized entry into the sterile area. And in addition to getting herself in, if she is somehow able to smuggle prohibited items in, that would undermine TSA's assertion that stowaways pose no security threat because they're screened the same as legitimate ticketed passengers (which they say every time a stowaway incident makes them look like fools).

Besides, the truth is that this unfortunate woman has some mental illness that makes her rather irrational, and irrational people generally shouldn't be trusted with important work like testing airport security.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by WillCAD

Besides, the truth is that this unfortunate woman has some mental illness that makes her rather irrational, and irrational people generally shouldn't be trusted with important work like testing airport security.
irrational people are exactly the type who should be testing security. Rational people don’t bring down planes. Just make sure she goes thru WMD screen…
chollie likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The last thing TSA wants is to have Ada Quonset prove once again how incompetent they are at preventing unauthorized entry into the sterile area. And in addition to getting herself in, if she is somehow able to smuggle prohibited items in, that would undermine TSA's assertion that stowaways pose no security threat because they're screened the same as legitimate ticketed passengers (which they say every time a stowaway incident makes them look like fools).

Originally Posted by Boraxo
irrational people are exactly the type who should be testing security. Rational people don’t bring down planes. Just make sure she goes thru WMD screen…

actually would be good to have her do pen-tests - just keep her closely monitored so they can see how she defeats the process.....
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say TSA would, I said they should.

Originally Posted by Section 107
actually would be good to have her do pen-tests - just keep her closely monitored so they can see how she defeats the process.....
Exactly.
chollie likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The woman seems highly motivated to get to the airport “sterile” side regardless of DHS/TSA’s wishes.

And while having a mental illness doesn’t necessarily mean the person is all as capable of being rational as an average person, it doesn’t necessarily mean the person is incapable of functioning and doing some good — even if that good just means exposing the flanks of the TSA security theater for what it is.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still don't think she belongs in a county jail. I seriously doubt she receives needed mental healthcare in that type of facility. She seems pretty functional to my eyes.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: TSA
I still don't think she belongs in a county jail. I seriously doubt she receives needed mental healthcare in that type of facility. She seems pretty functional to my eyes.
Agreed. She has a mental illness and I believe proper treatment would best serve her, and the community.

As far as a penetration tester, I would love to see them do something like that. Have her go through while someone from DHS is on the other side, and one comes through the line near her to observe. It could be something that would generate some good information on how she keeps doing it, whether it is simple level 100 Sneak, or if she is employing social engineering techniques. We could then use the information gathered to help shore up any soft spots in the system or configurations. Of course, we will never do that, but it would be a good use of someone that clearly has a compulsion and has gotten pretty good at doing it.

I would think the red tape and pitch for that scenario would be harder than the pitch for Sharknado, imagine how hard those folks had to tap dance to get that made.... This would be similar.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Agreed. She has a mental illness and I believe proper treatment would best serve her, and the community.

As far as a penetration tester, I would love to see them do something like that. Have her go through while someone from DHS is on the other side, and one comes through the line near her to observe. It could be something that would generate some good information on how she keeps doing it, whether it is simple level 100 Sneak, or if she is employing social engineering techniques. We could then use the information gathered to help shore up any soft spots in the system or configurations. Of course, we will never do that, but it would be a good use of someone that clearly has a compulsion and has gotten pretty good at doing it.

I would think the red tape and pitch for that scenario would be harder than the pitch for Sharknado, imagine how hard those folks had to tap dance to get that made.... This would be similar.
Would she be able to perform on command? I don't know if her mind works that way or just how she developed her methods. Treatment might take her edge away.

Good to see you around.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: TSA
Would she be able to perform on command? I don't know if her mind works that way or just how she developed her methods. Treatment might take her edge away.

Good to see you around.
Agreed that she may be unreliable or able to function in that capacity. It is apparent that her mind works well in terms of finding seams in the process, but would she be able to function that way? Doubtful. Treatment would definitely take some of her edge because it would likely focus on the root causes and... you know how the basics work.

I am glad to be around, had a rough stretch in May and June, now I am back at 100% and work is a freakin bear. New fiscal year means all the training cycles restart, so time to make the doughnuts! Thanks for the kind words!
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:16 pm

The last place Marilyn Hartman should be is in a county jail. Being mentally ill isn't a crime although I realize her actions, which she can't control, have been illegal. Why she isn't in a secure mental health facility is beyond my understanding.
"Secure mental health facilities" barely exist in the U.S. In 1967 Reagan as governor of California signed the first major legislation ending the practice of institutionalizing patients against their will, the feds passed even more restrictions on it a couple years later, with the stated goal of "returning patients to their communities" - walk down the street in any major city and you can see how well that worked.

These days a patient can be held for 72 hours if they can be shown to be a danger to self or danger to others, and then you have to find a place that has an open bed and takes their insurance. Bloody good luck with that, says someone who formerly worked on a locked unit. Jails and prisons have become the de facto secure psych wards in America, and there the mentally ill are lucky to get basic medication, not real treatment. Unless you've got a half million $$ to spare, long term in-patient care, which must be voluntary unless you can convince the courts there is a reason to hold a person against their will, is impossible.

So that's why the serial airport visitor is still in jail.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Oct 10, 2021 at 8:16 pm Reason: left out a word
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
"Secure mental health facilities" barely exist in the U.S. In 1967 Reagan as governor of California signed the first major legislation ending the practice of institutionalizing patients against their will, the feds passed even more restrictions on it a couple years later, with the stated goal of "returning patients to their communities" - walk down the street in any major city and you can see how well that worked.

These days a patient can be held for 72 hours if they can be shown to be a danger to self or danger to others, and then you have to find a place that has an open bed and takes their insurance. Bloody good luck with that, says someone who formerly worked on a locked unit. Jails and prisons have become the de facto secure psych wards in America, and there the mentally ill are lucky to get basic medication, not real treatment. Unless you've got a half million $$ to spare, long term in-patient care, which must be voluntary unless you can convince the courts there is a reason to hold a person against their will, is impossible.

So that's why the serial airport visitor is still in jail.
My point about this lady not getting needed mental health care in a county jail seems well founded. Not many miles from me is a state mental health hospital. Not a nice place to be but a tad better than a county jail. It may just be another warehouse.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
My point about this lady not getting needed mental health care in a county jail seems well founded. Not many miles from me is a state mental health hospital. Not a nice place to be but a tad better than a county jail. It may just be another warehouse.
Actually, she is not violent. She isn't violent. One day she will learn her lesson. As long if she behave well. She will understand that. Hope she take her medication and staying away from any Chicago's airport. Hope her treatment work. That will help. She must listen to the judge or me. She must accept that.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to see you around.
Which is why I was suggesting simply a tracer, perhaps with audio recording that's GPS activated when she's at an airport. Not tracking her perfectly isn't going to endanger any aircraft. So long as she cooperates about the tracking there's no punishment when she's caught, other than the obvious one of being removed from the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.