Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Terminal Dump at MAF after US Soldier attempts to bring bomb thru TSA checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal Dump at MAF after US Soldier attempts to bring bomb thru TSA checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: British Airways, Air France, Delta
Since he got away with his minor infraction, perhaps he thought he could get away with this one.

I don't for one minute buy the idea that every Green Beret in this elite bomb squad gets to travel with a backpack full of military grade explosives! (And does so without getting prior clearance or following some sort of special boarding procedure with the airlines). No way.

On another forum, where a person claims to know this dude's family in Midlands, it is being said that the guy intended to detonate these explosives for his friends in a New Year's Eve celebration outside town. Given what I've seen go on in El Paso itself (outside town) on New Year's (or for that matter, inside town) that seems plausible.

But having been caught just a week prior (and merely warned?) he might have thought he could get away with more. Opportunistic criminal behavior - not surprising in a person who is trained extensively in doing something that is illegal for all of the rest of us (bombing people).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by chollie
That just seems really unlikely - that he'd knowingly be travelling to and from Midland with it in his pack - unless it was in a pocket/pouch that he never opens. We've all seen posts from folks who get something caught at the checkpoint after weeks/months of having forgotten it was there.

The recent previous incident makes this even more bizarre. You'd think they'd have come down on him like a ton of bricks after the first incident - 'they' being TSA, cops or the military.

Curiouser and curiouser.
(Edited to add: just read that he had two pounds of the stuff. It's pretty hard to believe that you have that much of something and don't notice it).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That just seems really unlikely - that he'd knowingly be travelling to and from Midland with it in his pack - unless it was in a pocket/pouch that he never opens. We've all seen posts from folks who get something caught at the checkpoint after weeks/months of having forgotten it was there.

The recent previous incident makes this even more bizarre. You'd think they'd have come down on him like a ton of bricks after the first incident - 'they' being TSA, cops or the military.

Curiouser and curiouser.
I have no direct experience but would guess that 2+ pounds of C4 would make for a fairly large explosion and would be capable of serious damage.

Which makes me question just how well controlled military supplies of these materials are?

I think chollie is on to something about the strangeness of this story.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I have no direct experience but would guess that 2+ pounds of C4 would make for a fairly large explosion and would be capable of serious damage.

Which makes me question just how well controlled military supplies of these materials are?

I think chollie is on to something about the strangeness of this story.
Well, they can never be too controlled given how much of the dangerous stuff the military needs. These guys will always have access to it.

This article has some interesting information:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-troubled-base

This is the category of people that congress wants to exempt from aspects of screening? Totally ridiculous, they are not an extremely low risk group, and certainly no lower than the general population.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:00 pm

I wonder if Blogdad Bob is going to come out with a post praising the screeners for doing their job. Or if he's holding off until they make sure that he didn't go through a checkpoint with it on his outbound flight (I think he said he did).

Anyone with military background that could guess-timate how stiff the penalties from the military might be if this stuff (grenade and C4) was taken without permission from the base? Given the circumstances, it's hard to imagine they'd want to go lightly on him. Wonder if this automatically qualifies him for the no-fly list.

I can't help thinking about Manning and the Army shrink who shot up a bunch of his own people. I wonder if we're going to start seeing a trickle of information indicating that this guy's been showing 'signs' for a while now but that they were ignored.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I wonder if Blogdad Bob is going to come out with a post praising the screeners for doing their job. Or if he's holding off until they make sure that he didn't go through a checkpoint with it on his outbound flight (I think he said he did).

Anyone with military background that could guess-timate how stiff the penalties from the military might be if this stuff (grenade and C4) was taken without permission from the base? Given the circumstances, it's hard to imagine they'd want to go lightly on him. Wonder if this automatically qualifies him for the no-fly list.

I can't help thinking about Manning and the Army shrink who shot up a bunch of his own people. I wonder if we're going to start seeing a trickle of information indicating that this guy's been showing 'signs' for a while now but that they were ignored.
Honestly - props to the TSA for catching him - however eventually - as it's not in anyone's best interest to have head cases running around with C4 (even 1/2 an ounce).

Is this case worth the billions spent - I don't know.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is/was being arraigned in federal court. That would suggest that the military will take legal action if they ever get him back or have already turned him over for prosecution. He could be tried by the feds and then later tried by the military under UCMJ.

This guy better have a darn good story or he may be facing a few years on ice.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by danl08
He was on leave, his mother lives in Midland.

there was some conjecture elsewhere that he was carrying a pack that all people in his type of unit would carry at all times. The real question is whether he brought this with him TO Midland and was only caught on the way back (which means TSA missed it the first time) or whether he picked it up while in TX (highly unlikely given what the material was).
C'mon TSA and news media!!! Tell us!

Did he carry the C4 to Midland? On a plane? Did the TSA miss it the first time around? They found the smoke grenade but missed the real explosives?

I feel so much better and safer!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by SummerHologram
I don't ... buy the idea that every Green Beret ... travel with a backpack full of military grade explosives! ... without getting prior clearance or following some sort of special boarding procedure ... No way.

On another forum, ... it is being said that the guy intended to detonate these explosives for his friends in a New Year's Eve celebration outside town .... But having been caught just a week prior (and merely warned?) he might have thought he could get away with more.
Two pounds of whatever stuff that they found, that's one heck of a bang or series of it! It only took a few oz. of Semplex, similar to C-4, to blew a 20" hole in the fuselage and took down Pam Am 103 in 1988.

If the earlier incident is true, his base command was NOT in the loop or simply warned him - oh, how nice!

That's how we "dispose" of surplus supplies now that we are proudly bringing our oversea troops home PTSD, perhaps ....

Homeland Security AND TSA news desk must be buzzing mad
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Now they ask the question! No responses from anybody! TSA tooted their own horn too soon!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
C'mon TSA and news media!!! Tell us!

Did he carry the C4 to Midland? On a plane? Did the TSA miss it the first time around? They found the smoke grenade but missed the real explosives?

I feel so much better and safer!
If only he'd thought to bring a cupcake. That way, the TSA could have "found" the cupcake on the way out, and upgraded to the smoke grenade on the way back, and he'd have gotten away with the C4 and only a "warning" for the smoke grenade!

Alas...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another interesting turn.

Hearing for NC Soldier Canceled in Texas

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Hea...136617763.html
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:24 pm

It's hard to say...the Special Forces take care of their own, and they can get away with bending the rules a lot more than the "regular" Army. That being said, he'll probaby be charged on the State level by airport cops, face Federal charges by the FBI, and then military UCMJ. A triple jeopardy, of sorts. If he serves time because of the State/Fed charges, I doubt the military will tack on more time @ Fort Leavenworth. Maybe a reduction to E-1 and dishonorable discharge?

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Now they ask the question! No responses from anybody! TSA tooted their own horn too soon!
Flying down with it sounds the most logical, but I have my doubts. The Wikipedia entry for C-4 lists the composition as being 91% RDX. Those fancy machines that always get set off by lawn fertilizer and hand lotion would have gone crazy with two pounds of the stuff. Since they're prone to overreact, I find it hard to believe they would have missed swabbing the bag once they saw themselves looking at a live grenade on the X-ray screen. He was probably stationed at Fort Hood or Bliss at one point, and snagged the C-4 from a training excercise. Drove it home on leave, left it there, got reassigned to Fort Bragg, then thought he'd be able to bring it back to Bragg with him. It doesn't make sense to me that he'd "forget" two pounds of explosives in a small carry-on bag and not see it at all while packing/repacking for holiday leave.

Edit:
Also, the article states: "He said his Army special forces team always carried at least two blocks of C-4, but he didn't know any explosives were in his bag when he returned to the U.S." Prior to returning from deployments, everyone's bags are basically dumped and redumped for thorough inspection by Navy Customs inspectors. All live ammunition/ordnance gets turned into unit armorers, and are transported seperately. I'm really doubting his story of forgetting about his issued combat load, and thinking more that he took it without authorization.

Last edited by Batmanuel; Jan 3, 2012 at 3:38 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:55 pm

From the Yahoo News article:
He said he didn't see any explosives in the main compartment of the bag when he packed for his trip to Texas. The bag had been in his garage and hadn't been used since he returned from overseas, according to court documents.
I feel so much better knowing the C-4 was safely in his garage.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Batmanuel
Prior to returning from deployments, everyone's bags are basically dumped and redumped for thorough inspection by Navy Customs inspectors. All live ammunition/ordnance gets turned into unit armorers, and are transported seperately.
Maybe this is what is supposed to happen. Maybe it's what happens most of the time. But maybe it didn't happen this time and this part of his account is true. Here's just one example of stuff that came back from overseas that shouldn't have:
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-05/u...apons?_s=PM:US.

I do wonder if the hearing was cancelled because no agency wants him to say something in open court that could embarrass them or raise more questions about how this happened. It is certainly in TSA's best interests to prove that he didn't have it with him on the outbound flight, particularly since they looked in his bag. I wonder if they did an ETD or just assumed there was no point because they had the grenade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.