Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Any theories on what will happen to people who are unable to raise their arms due to medical issues?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Any theories on what will happen to people who are unable to raise their arms due to medical issues?
The topic, while mentioned in the bill and related documents, is vague. I have asked about it and gotten no reply.
Same goes for asking for more details about "Where a foreign national refuses a body scan and is subsequently denied clearance through the screening point, the Department of Infrastructure and Transport will work closely with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to facilitate legitimate travel."

Over the last week, I have emailed and tweeted both my local senators, my local government ("if this bill passes, you lose my vote"), and several other senators - including the senate committee members. So far no reply from anyone.

With what remains for on today's Senate agenda, it looks like they'll get to it within the next 60 minutes. They are currently on item 16. Once they get done with item 19, they return to Government business which the bill debate is under.
They have just under 2 hours remaining before whatever item they are up to gets cut off for adjournment.
update 18:06 - Now back to Government business item 1. Ours is the next item.
They just moved for an amendment to the bill under item 1 (Superannuation Legislation), and the government lackey rejected it instantly. That might happen again if someone moves to amend the Aviation Transport Security bill to bring in the committee recommendations.
Deadlock to approve that amendment, so they are calling in the whole senate to vote, which tends to take 10-15 minutes all up. Given the time limit before they commence adjournment debate (~30 minutes remaining), they might not get to/complete Aviation Transport Security today.
update 18:24 - they are all so quite to leave the chamber... yet another division required, so getting everyone called back again. Even if they get done with this bill right after this vote, they are going to have less then 20 minutes on the bill we're interested in.
Either they'll try to rush through it (which would be bad), or it will get cut off in the middle of debate and rolled over to tomorrow.

They've started.
First up is leader of the Nationals in the senate who is continuing the crap the opposition did in the house (was in the middle of typing up a rant email to Barnaby Joyce when the email form failed for more contact info and I heard his last comment "amendments pending", so holding off on rant for now.)
Second up, Greens. Opposed, moving amendments, based on committee report recommendations - Bill going into committee (to work on amendment).
Debate interrupted.
Will have to see if there will be any more debate speeches when it appears on the next daily plan.

It may be good with the opposition apparently looking at amending the bill, but it depends just what those amendments are. If they are the amendments we want, with both the opposition and greens supporting them, the amendments are likely to get through the senate.
senate by party:
Government (Labor): 31
Opposition (Total Coalition): 34
Greens: 9
Other: 2

As long as it gets a division (full senate vote), and not the almost instant passing as in the house, we are likely to get what we want from the Senate, so long as the pending amendments are desirable.

Last edited by Himeno; Aug 14, 2012 at 3:13 am
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:58 am

Headed to Australia. What to expect in the way of passenger security screening.

Headed to Australia in a few weeks and wondered what to expect. I got my electronic visa taken care of and from what I found elsewhere it seems similar to travel in and out of the UK. Mainly using the airports in Sydney and Melbourne.

Any comments or tips?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Headed to Australia in a few weeks and wondered what to expect. I got my electronic visa taken care of and from what I found elsewhere it seems similar to travel in and out of the UK. Mainly using the airports in Sydney and Melbourne.

Any comments or tips?
Are you referring to the immigration & customs process (since you mention your visa) or to security entering the secure area of the airport?

Immigration is usually the standard questions you'd get as a US citizen entering the UK. Customs is a little more rigorous, but nothing arduous. Many people are selected for "secondary" but their secondary is very quick. If selected, they'll typically X-ray some or all of your bags, but they're mostly looking for food items. They have dogs wandering around doing this as well. The process itself is pretty painless.

If you get a "fast track" card (can't remember what they're called in Oz) you'll be sped through the customs line.

Can't recall the security process for flying domestic within Oz, however, so will let others comment.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Go to youtube and search for "Australia Border Security".

It is a TV show that highlights the process and secondaries of the customs process quite well. There are dozens of episodes to watch. Funny stuff sometimes.

Security has always struck me as similar to the WTMD in US and Europe but it has been a couple years since my last visit.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
If you get a "fast track" card (can't remember what they're called in Oz) you'll be sped through the customs line.
If you're talking about the "SmartGate" program it's currently only available to Aussies/Kiwis with a RFID passport although there are rumors about linking it with the US global entry program sometime in the future.

About customs/immigration it's pretty easy - on arrival they funnel you through the duty free shop (really hate that) and you wind up in the immigration queue where you present your passport & arrival card (which you receive & fill out on the flight). Like Ushuaia said they're very persnickity about foodstuffs and there's a likely chance they'll be walking up & down the immigration and custom halls with german shepherds sniffing for drugs and beagles looking for fruit & other edibles. I always mark 'yes' on the food question even if it's just a pack of mints from the plane.

After clearing immigration you go to the customs hall & pick up your luggage. You hand the person at the end your arrival card which was stamped by immigration & they might send you to x-ray (usually in SYD) or out the door (usually in MEL) but no guarantees. This x-ray is primarily looking for agricultural products which are a no-no.

If you're at your destination enjoy the lucky country, if you've got a connecting flight from SYD, walk out the door and head to the next building on the right for Qantas, re-check your bags & catch the bus to the domestic terminal (sorry don't know where Virgin Blue is at SYD) -- in MEL take the travelator up a level & turn left for Virgin Blue, right for Qantas & check in for that flight.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:40 pm

Debate resumes as first item today (about 0940 AEST). Can't watch due to work. Can watch a live feed from http://aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/Watch_Parliament
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:20 pm

Thanks for all your efforts with continued updates.

Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed that it all works out and that Australia says sensible and scanner-free.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zarf4
If you're talking about the "SmartGate" program it's currently only available to Aussies/Kiwis with a RFID passport although there are rumors about linking it with the US global entry program sometime in the future.
I was just meaning the little "fasttrack" cards they give out to premium class pax, but interesting to know they're considering a link of their GE-type program with GE in the US.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:43 pm

Able to check the live minutes on my phone...
Not good. It finished up just over an hour ago. Greens put in amendments. Looks like only half the senate was there. Amendments failed, bill passed 9-38

update (after work):
The only reply I've gotten from any senator in the past two weeks was from Penny Wright (Greens) in reply to the "pissed off" tweet I sent to the first two senator users I could find during lunch.
This is the amendment the Greens put forward: http://tinyurl.com/9ga5kqj was then shot down 10 votes to 40 (missing 26 senators).
Moved to third reading and vote on bill, 38 yes, 9 no (missing 29 senators).

Last nights speeches:
Barnaby Joyce http://tinyurl.com/8mglyw5
Lee Rhiannon http://tinyurl.com/9c7sodc

Transcript of what happened today will be available tomorrow.

Found a news article about today's happenings which has comments open (moderated from the looks of it).
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...the_discussion

Last edited by Himeno; Aug 15, 2012 at 2:08 am
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Passenger security screening in Australia is pretty simple, at least on domestic flights. No restrictions on liquids, no shoes off. They don't even check boarding passes, so you can accompany people to the gate (and also fetch them) if you want.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Passenger security screening in Australia is pretty simple, at least on domestic flights. No restrictions on liquids, no shoes off. They don't even check boarding passes, so you can accompany people to the gate (and also fetch them) if you want.
I haven't taken a domestic flight in Australia for ages, but I seem to remember that because of this, you can transit domestically without getting re-screened. Is that right?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:31 am

or better yet

Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Looks like Australia is permanently off my travel plans.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
This rant I'm typing to my local member is getting bigger..... offshore processing, and now this..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.