Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Well we can thank heavens for small mercies that it is MMW and not BKSX. However as a security measure it is worthless, since they've already announced it will only operate during business hours Monday to Friday!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I noticed on the fact sheet they have a pink (female) and blue (male) button with the word Scan. What about individuals currently in transition before sex reassignment surgery? Something is likely to alarm, and it is not clear who would perform a "frisk search", as Australia calls it.

Second, how well does ATR detect colostomy and other types of medical bags? I know that these almost always "alarm" in the US, and the TSOs make a big deal out of it every single time. I imagine ATR would be even worse about this. The impact assessment says that it's recommended prosthetic devices be placed in checked luggage. Yeah... that makes sense.

Finally, it indicates travelers under the age of 18 will be required to give consent yet they will not be able to choose alternative screening if selected? Is this a typo? Is it because refusing the NoS leads to a full patdown? What happens to these same individuals when they erroneously alarm the NoS?

I hope Australia makes the same conclusion as Italy and Germany and doesn't go the way of the US.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by pacer142
Interesting that the airlines don't already do this for revenue protection reasons. In the UK there's no rule saying that you have to show ID for domestic flights, and I believe for some (BA?) you don't need to. But most airlines require it off their own back, mainly to prevent people transferring tickets, though sometimes incorrectly justified as for "security reasons".

Neil
Australia domestic tix are typically sold as one ways; additionally, fares are competitive enough that I can buy a one-way between major cities 24 hrs prior and with a little flexibility, obtain a decent fare.

No reason to check ID for revenue reasons in such an environment.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I find this updated article really scary. It looks like the addition of body scanners may increase wait time in Australian airports, as well as the expense of travel in Australia.

Also, it looks like there are plans to bring about body scanners in domestic terminals instead of only international terminals.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...810-1imab.html
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I noticed on the fact sheet they have a pink (female) and blue (male) button with the word Scan. <snipped for brevity>
Hadn't noticed this before. Who pushes the button? If not the individual being scanned, what if they're wrong?? Where on the cartoon image will the anomaly box pop up and what sort of "pat-down" would result?

There are some androgynous people in this world.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: QFF
Has anyone sent a 'feedback' letter to the trail comments email? or any drafts of such a letter we could send? (i'm not the best at writing letters... :/)

Why are there no news stories on this topic that allow commenting? @_@
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
very disturbing indeed.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
That same article ran in Saturday's Age traveller supplement as 'See Through Safety'. I've sent the following letter to the editor:

Saturday's Traveller describes a new trial of advanced imaging technology in Australia as 'See through safety'. This headline is entirely inaccurate: while the technology is capable of seeing through clothes, it demonstrably does not improve flying safety (even the TSA have admitted it would not have picked up the undie-bombers payload, and the article in The Age highlighted how error-prone they are), and it is a profound risk to the safety of a number of already-marginalised passenger groups.

The machines have not been proven physically safe: non-government scientists and medical practitioners have raised concerns about them in the US. Moreover, in the US those with ostomies, breast cancer survivors, and children have been singled out for humiliating secondary screening. The imaging process itself is deeply difficult for some sexual assault survivors, and breaches the medical privacy of many groups including the aforementioned ostomates and breast cancer survivors, as well as transgender and intersex individuals.

I sincerely hope the Australian government will see sense and choose not to install these invasive machines until (at the very least) they are proven safe, and my preference would be to never see them here. I also fervently hope that the cost will not be passed on to passengers, many of whom will be harmed by this technology (even if it is just by longer security lines), and who are vanishingly unlikely to benefit from it.

I asked them to withhold my name, since I don't really want to find myself on a watchlist :/
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I've just gone through security at MEL T2 and can advise that a small collection of MMW machines live at the extreme right of the checkpoint (which is the elite lane). They were all roped off. Notices invited "volunteers" to go through the scanners (as primary). The lines for the WTMDs were too short for me to determine whether people alarming them had the option of scanner rather than frisk.

No worries for now, but I expect a boiling frog approach will be taken to ramp up the amount of scans as primary search, and/or remove opt-outs.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by stifle
I've just gone through security at MEL T2 and can advise that a small collection of MMW machines live at the extreme right of the checkpoint (which is the elite lane). They were all roped off. Notices invited "volunteers" to go through the scanners (as primary). The lines for the WTMDs were too short for me to determine whether people alarming them had the option of scanner rather than frisk.

No worries for now, but I expect a boiling frog approach will be taken to ramp up the amount of scans as primary search, and/or remove opt-outs.
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded statement. Were the MMWs in use at all? "Roped off" sounds like they were not in use.

The trial in MEL was scheduled for 5 - 30 Sept, and in SYD 1-19 August. I've flown out of SYD (int'l terminal) twice since the trial period ended and didn't see any sign of them at all. (But it's a wide area, I was busy watching my stuff, and the line moves quickly enough that there's no time to stand and gawk.)

And I can't find anything on gov't or news websites with any update on plans for implementing the body scanners at Australian airports. Not saying it won't happen, just that there's no news.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct, they were not in use.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:51 am

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel...-1226262767957

Not good.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by saulblum
No indeed. I can no longer tell the world about the common-sense Aussie approach to boarding a plane.

It looks like our early-June post Oz-Fest #9 departure from SYD will be just under the wire.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's me never going back to Australia.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:35 pm

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.