Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concern about increased airport security in Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by LucyAnne
The Senate Report is out. The first recommendation is that there be an "opt out" clause included in the Bill. There are 3 other recommendations.
People I have spoken to recently are quite shocked when they realise there is the possibility they will be forced into these scanners. Friends overseas also had decided if legislation forcing them into the scanners is introduced here, Australia will be off their list of travel destinations. I hope the Government takes notice of these recommendations and does the right thing by the Australian people.
I take it you got the same email I did.

Reading the report now. http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_...port/index.htm

It is good to see that the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee has some sense, at least as far as recommending an opt out be required. We'll need to see what the senate does with it.

If needed, we could always try for this...
Originally Posted by Constitution of Australia
58. When a proposed law passed by both Houses of the Parliament is presented to the Governor-General for the Queen's assent, he shall declare, according to his discretion, but subject to this Constitution, that he assents in the Queen's name, or that he withholds assent, or that he reserves the law for the Queen's pleasure. The Governor-General may return to the house in which it originated any proposed law so presented to him, and may transmit therewith any amendments which he may recommend, and the Houses may deal with the recommendation.

59. The Queen may disallow any law within one year from the Governor-General's assent, and such disallowance on being made known by the Governor-General by speech or message to each of the Houses of the Parliament, or by Proclamation, shall annul the law from the day when the disallowance is so made known.

Last edited by Himeno; Jun 1, 2012 at 3:20 am
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Parliament is sitting again this week.
The bill is listed on today's Senate daily program.
18. Messages from the House of Representatives transmitting the following bills for concurrence:
(a) to be adjourned to a later hour of the day:
Corporations Amendment (Proxy Voting) Bill 2012
Skills Australia Amendment (Australian Workforce and Productivity Agency) Bill 2012
Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2012 Measures No. 1) Bill 2012
Tax Laws Amendment (2012 Measures No. 3) Bill 2012
Income Tax (Seasonal Labour Mobility Program Withholding Tax) Bill 2012
Tax Laws Amendment (Income Tax Rates) Bill 2012

(b) to be listed on the Notice Paper as separate orders of the day:
Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2012
Aviation Transport Security amendment (Screening) Bill 2012
Broadcasting Services Amendment (Digital Television) Bill 2012
Clean Energy Finance Corporation Bill 2012
National Health Amendment (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) Bill 2012
National Vocational Education and Training Regulator (Charges) Bill 2012
Paid Parental Leave and Other Legislation Amendment (Dad and Partner Pay and Other Measures) Bill 2012
Parliamentary Counsel and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2012
Social Security and Other Legislation Amendment (2012 Budget and Other Measures) Bill 2012
Superannuation Legislation Amendment (Trustee Obligations and Prudential Standards) Bill 2012
Tax Laws Amendment (Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy Surcharge) Bill 2012
(these bills are not subject to the bills cut-off order)

(c) to be listed on the Notice Paper as a package:
Clean Energy Legislation Amendment Bill 2012
Clean Energy (Customs Tariff Amendment) Bill 2012
Clean Energy (Excise Tariff Legislation Amendment) Bill 2012
Given its location on the program, I doubt they will get to it today, but it is likely they will debate it this week.

The bills homepage has also been updated with a "Revised explanatory memorandum" added. http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...7a42cd48044%22
It contains no real changes to the original, just bring it in line with the amendment put through on May 23 clarifying the privacy aspects.

Although, this part seems interesting:
Where a foreign national refuses a body scan and is subsequently denied clearance through the screening point, the Department of Infrastructure and Transport will work closely with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to facilitate legitimate travel.
At the moment, I'm a bit concerned with it going through the senate in a 'favorable' manner as Bob Brown resigns today leaving one less Greens senator to oppose the bill until Tasmania replaces him.

Last edited by Himeno; Jun 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Himeno
Where a foreign national refuses a body scan and is subsequently denied clearance through the screening point, the Department of Infrastructure and Transport will work closely with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to facilitate legitimate travel.
I'm confident a number of us foreign nationals who've already signed up for next year's Oz Fest in Perth will cheerfully volunteer in advance to opt out. @:-)

Thanks for keeping us apprised. I've been telling folks literally for years how much better the sensible Aussies handle screening and it's sad to see this development.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Himeno, thank you very much for keeping us updated regarding this. I am hoping that the other Greens in the Senate will at least vote to add an opt out provision This is very disappointing, but I am hoping that there is some chance.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:26 am

Just emailed Chris Bowen, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, for details about the statement in the explanatory memorandum.

"Where a foreign national refuses a body scan and is subsequently denied clearance through the screening point, the Department of Infrastructure and Transport will work closely with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to facilitate legitimate travel."

@_@ idiots. I just got a reply to an email I sent a month ago from one of my senators. My email was detailing why the bill wasn't needed and asking her to vote against the bill in the senate. Reply back was "this is in Anthony Albanese portfolio, your comments have been forwarded"

hmmm... that's surprising. They actually got through everything on the daily program. Though I guess it helps when almost everything is not much more then "Bills introduced. Debate adjourned" and "Documents tabled".

Last edited by Himeno; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:03 am

Concern about increased airport security

I e-mailed Senator Nick Xenophon asking for an update on the Aviation Transport Security Bill. The reply came back from his adviser and said that the Bill is probably going to be debated in August, but that the Government is not planning to implement any of the recommendations made by the Senate Committee. I have therefore e-mailed all the other members of the Senate Committee who made the recommendations urging them to vote against the Bill unless their recommendations are adopted. I also again e-mailed by local Federal Member (for what that's worth).
Anyone on this post who wants this stopped could possibly think about doing the same. It is only if the Independents or the Greens strongly object will there be any hope.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:02 am

I e-mailed Senator Nick Xenophon asking for an update on the Aviation Transport Security Bill. The reply came back from his adviser and said that the Bill is probably going to be debated in August, but that the Government is not planning to implement any of the recommendations made by the Senate Committee. I have therefore e-mailed all the other members of the Senate Committee who made the recommendations urging them to vote against the Bill unless their recommendations are adopted. I also again e-mailed by local Federal Member (for what that's worth).
Anyone on this post who wants this stopped could possibly think about doing the same. It is only if the Independents or the Greens strongly object will there be any hope.
Perhaps we should start contacting the Governor-General. She can refuse to give it royal assent.
http://www.gg.gov.au/contact.php
Government House
Dunrossil Drive
YARRALUMLA ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6283 3533
Fax: (02) 6281 3760

I've copied all the second reading speeches from the house debate and will be debunking them and sending them back to each MP as soon as I get a chance to go over them.

I contacted the house Independents about this a while ago and didn't get anything back other then instant auto replies.

I'd still like to know how asking my senator to oppose a bill currently before the senate gets this back
Thank you for your email to Senator Lundy. As this matter falls within the portfolio responsibilities of Minister Anthony Albanese. Minister for Transport, the Senator has forwarded your comments to him.
Never heard anything back from the ACTs other senator.

I happened to find a news story online a couple of days ago about the scanners, but I can't seem to find it now. A related story is showing up on an Indian news site.
Basic gist of the story is that the scanners are starting to piss off Breast Cancer Network Australia and various transgender/intersex groups. Let's just say that the LGBT lobby can get quite vocal when they want to.

Last edited by Himeno; Jun 20, 2012 at 3:16 am
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Perhaps we should start contacting the Governor-General. She can refuse to give it royal assent.
http://www.gg.gov.au/contact.php
Government House
Dunrossil Drive
YARRALUMLA ACT 2600
Perhaps we should start contacting the queen. She can overrule the governor-general and deny royal assent.

Basic gist of the story is that the scanners are starting to piss off Breast Cancer Network Australia and various transgender/intersex groups. Let's just say that the LGBT lobby can get quite vocal when they want to.
This seems like a much better option. Get interest groups that are willing to make a scene about it, like cancer survivors, privacy advocates, victims of sexual abuse, and so on. Parliament is more likely to listen to established groups with a track record of commanding support from the public.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Here is a link to a story mentioning the Breast Cancer Network Australia. http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...610-204gm.html I was hoping that the group would be more against the introduction of the body scanners.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:09 pm

It seems ridiculous that when you write to some of the Senators asking that they oppose the Bill, they send your comments to Anthony Albanese. Doesn't seem much point sending anything to any Labor Senators, but worth a try I suppose. I have sent e-mails to the following Senators asking if they would oppose the Bill unless the Recommendations made by the Senate Committee are implemented.

[email protected] (Liberal Senator)
[email protected] (Independent)
[email protected] (Greens Senator)

A Lawyer friend of mine who also wrote a submission objecting to this Bill mentioned to me that the only way the Recommendations made by the Senate Committee will be implemented is if enough of the public object in the strongest terms. He said too many people are willing to swallow that these machines are needed for our safety. So as many people as are willing should send e-mails or letters to as many Senators as they care to requesting that the Senate Committee Recommendations be adopted.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:37 am

So as many people as are willing should send e-mails or letters to as many Senators as they care to requesting that the Senate Committee Recommendations be adopted.
Contacted CLA asking about this.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Any news or developments?

I have had a long-standing dream to visit Australia. After a decade of waiting, the kids are finally old enough, I've saved up enough miles, and most importantly I had the vacation time lined up...

...and now, this.

I would be especially interested in when this will finally be resolved and/or implemented. From what I've read here this is not in place yet, but when would it be effective?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by timstravel
I have had a long-standing dream to visit Australia. After a decade of waiting, the kids are finally old enough, I've saved up enough miles, and most importantly I had the vacation time lined up...

...and now, this.

I would be especially interested in when this will finally be resolved and/or implemented. From what I've read here this is not in place yet, but when would it be effective?
The bill that would permit this is currently before the Senate.
Parliament is currently in their winter recess and return on August 14. The bill will be debated and voted on in the Senate after they return.

The best we can now hope for is for the Senate to adapt the recommendations of the Senate inquiry which would permit opt outs (I hope everyone has been contacting their senators).

Perhaps people outside Australia can contact Tourism Australia telling them why you no longer plan to come here, and also the MPs/Senators of the places you will no longer be visiting as a result of this bill may be helpful.
http://www.tourism.australia.com/en-...ontact-us.aspx

Just contacted Kate Lundy again. Telling her to vote against this in the Senate, or I will vote against her and the rest of her party in the next elections (Though, she's likely to just forward it to Albanese again).

Contacted ACT Labor telling them the same thing I told Lundy. If this thing passes, no one from your party will ever get a vote from me again - I don't care if they are standing for the ACT Legislative Assembly or Federal Parliament - this bill passes, no vote for you.

Last edited by Himeno; Aug 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:52 pm

The bill is listed for senate debate tomorrow (Aug 14).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the update. Is there any hope right now of including the ability to opt-out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.